Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbvmbmb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
ive somehow managed to get my first scratch on my 2017 macbook pro : (

its a really small nick but its still noticable.

what are your expiriences dealing with scratches on your new machines?

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011

458628053.jpg

mbvmbmb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
heres the picture of the scratch...

rip

Attachments

• IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7,400

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Honestly don't worry about it. Unless you have a scratch on the screen that's visible while using it I wouldn't put much thought into it.

That said, maybe look into putting a clear skin on it to prevent further scratches and cover that one.

Reactions: WolfMB2008

WolfMB2008

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2017
United States
It's gonna happen, i've had my 2011 laptop for a long time now and theres dings, scratches, scuffs, dents over the years. Just use the laptop and not overthink it much, otherwise you'll never enjoy using the machine.

like what Onemike said, unless there is a screen issue, otherwise if the item is fine, runs top notch..you're fine.

Reactions: MrGuder

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
IMO there is very little you can do about it that won't make it look worse in the end. You can use an epoxy resign to fill in dings, but even the silver colored ones don't match the silver on the MBP, and prepping the surface correctly often results in more cosmetic damage being incurred in the process, with the end result of it potentially looking worse off than how you began.

Suspended
May 11, 2013
Don't let it bother you, it's all part of how the physical casing protects the computer inside! don't think of it as a defect, think of it as one of the unique characteristics of your personal machine - sounds a bit mad, but over the lifetime of your Mac it'll get a few scratches maybe dents from the real world use, some of them may even tell a story that you'll laugh about someday.

Just be grateful it's aluminium and not plastic like on many cheaper Windows PCs, they'd probably have cracked or had larger missing chunks!

mbvmbmb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Don't let it bother you, it's all part of how the physical casing protects the computer inside! don't think of it as a defect, think of it as one of the unique characteristics of your personal machine - sounds a bit mad, but over the lifetime of your Mac it'll get a few scratches maybe dents from the real world use, some of them may even tell a story that you'll laugh about someday.

Just be grateful it's aluminium and not plastic like on many cheaper Windows PCs, they'd probably have cracked or had larger missing chunks!
thats a good way to think about it lol.. the machine isnt going to be perfect forever.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Suspended
May 11, 2013
thats a good way to think about it lol.. the machine isnt going to be perfect forever.

That's it. Though it's always painful accepting that first scratch. See your machine as being built for this sort of thing, to take it in it's stride. Don't be one of those guys with the really nice car who has to do stupid things like park at the back of the place to protect it.. take life full on and worry about more important things like people and kindness :p

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I knocked a photo frame off a shelf and onto the lid of my three day old TB MBP. I was traumatised. For a few days. Then I couldn’t find the nick. It seemed like it cured itself. Or something. Anyhoo, I forgot about it.

I knocked my previous MB off the edge of the bath and it fell into the (empty) tub. The lid was dented, but otherwise it was A-OK. That was pretty traumatising, too. But I got over it. And when I came to sell it the buyer didn’t seem too bothered. (But then I knew him personally.)

Reactions: WolfMB2008

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Your first scratch/ding is always the most memorable! Sucks that it happens, but short of never using it or keeping it in a protective shell/case, it will eventually happen. First time it happened for me on my very first Mac it was my own accidental doing, I muttered obscenities and whined to myself about it, but soon it became a "oh well, s**t happens" moment and that was that. I always do my best to baby my Apple hardware and packaging/materials to maximize future resale value, but some things are just unavoidable.

mbvmbmb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Your first scratch/ding is always the most memorable! Sucks that it happens, but short of never using it or keeping it in a protective shell/case, it will eventually happen. First time it happened for me on my very first Mac it was my own accidental doing, I muttered obscenities and whined to myself about it, but soon it became a "oh well, s**t happens" moment and that was that. I always do my best to baby my Apple hardware and packaging/materials to maximize future resale value, but some things are just unavoidable.
yeah haha that a very good point
[doublepost=1508712432][/doublepost]
That's it. Though it's always painful accepting that first scratch. See your machine as being built for this sort of thing, to take it in it's stride. Don't be one of those guys with the really nice car who has to do stupid things like park at the back of the place to protect it.. take life full on and worry about more important things like people and kindness :p
thanks for the positive vibes

jakontil

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
That’s the consequudealing with aluminium, it’s soft and easily dented but lightweight

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
To echo what everyone else is saying.... **** happens! I get it though, it does suck getting that first scratch or ding. But as time passes it's kinda like "oh well" - my 2011 had it's fair share of scuffs and scratches! Funny story though, I took it to the Apple store recently and they remarked what great condition it was in. So maybe I'm a bit OCD.

Either way, my 2011 died recently & I just got a brand new 15" rMBP - so yes, I'm a babying it big time. However, at the end of the day, it's a tool I use to make $$$ - nothing more.

Eerriikkoo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
I was going to accept a huge scratch on my MBP TB’s casing. Then I discovered it was just a smudge . So I’m still waiting for the first scratch, I know it’s going to happen. Just deal with it. Your ding is very small anyway. Hmm that sounds weird somehow.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
ive somehow managed to get my first scratch on my 2017 macbook pro : (

its a really small nick but its still noticable.

take a deep breath, and donate some money to feed children that are going through dumpsters to find food in the world.

Trust me the scratch will go away after that.

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.