First time mac owner & it's causing me financial problems :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Chipg, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Chipg macrumors regular

30 years on a pc for me, I bought a 13" i7 256g air, love it, best mobile all around computer I have ever owned!

I'm hooked, I ordered the 27" thunderbolt display, bought the 3tb time capsule, mouse, keyboard, trackpad, apple external dvd drive, g-tech external small 750g drive, about $5k in software and apps etc.

It's like a crack addiction for nerds, am I the norm?

Ohh yea, I have never owned an iPhone so I'm going to buy the iPhone 5 now...

This all started because I bought the first gen iPad. LOL :)

It's been expensive so far but I have to say worth every penny! :)

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Glad to hear stories like this. A lot of Apple's products have a quality and simplicity that can't be matched by anyone else.

I notice more and more of the people I know (that love PCs) eyeing my Air and being jealous. Some have already made the switch, and they love it!

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

A long time Apple enthusiast, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on new Mac laptops, desktops, phones, pads, pods. It's obscenely expensive year after year, but what the heck, it's legal. :)

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

This is why I'm sticking to returns and used products. Saved $800 going refurb for the 2 iMacs in the house, and another several hundred by going eBay for the MacBook Air.

Sure, I may not have the latest and greatest for those products but the savings add up!

I will still get new iPhones though, and of course iPad 3.

5. Chipg thread starter macrumors regular

I'm judging from the way this thing is made it will last me 3 years before I decide to sell it for a new one. I did buy a new PC once a year and those are pretty much worthless when you try to sell them.

I was pretty anti apple btw, the iPad won me over and opened my eyes, it was the first apple product I have owned since my apple IIe when I was a kid.

6. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

7. Chipg thread starter macrumors regular

:d

8. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I made a similar comment to the guy in my Apple store when I bought my 2010 MBA - he just smiled in a knowing fashion... Do Apple lace their products with some drug to make us buy more? At yes, it's called "quality"!

I've managed to hold off buying anything more yet but am planning on the iMac, ATV and airport express. Time Capsule is also on the list. Oh yes and I may well upgrade my iPhone. If they brought out an Apple TV (as opposed to the ATV), I'd probably succumb.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

I personally haven't, but I know some people who have started with one thing and expanded their, um, collection. One guy I know asked me about the iBook one day (after the intel transition). We went to the Apple store at lunch and he walked out with a new MacBook Pro and a TimeCapsule. Not 2 days later, he had ordered an iPhone. And a month later, he bought an Airport Express.

One of the great things (or not so great, depending on how you look at it) is that Apple controls it's entire ecosystem. Love it or hate it, you really can't deny that Apple really knows what they're doing.

For most consumers, it's great how everything just works together pretty seamlessly if you buy into their system. You don't have to think about whether your iPhone is going to talk to your MacBook Air and iTunes because Apple designed the whole darn thing. If something doesn't work, you know exactly whom to talk to (or blame). A movie purchased from the iTunes store will just play, whether it's in iTunes on your Mac, on your iPhone/iPad/iPod or on your AppleTV in your living room.

This is why I'm looking forward to iCloud and iTunes Match, because I believe that this will actually be successful. For once, it actually makes me feel like they want to deliver a great experience and give the customer access to all of their data wherever they are. If iCloud works half as well as Apple expect it to, I think it will be hugely successful.

10. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

WHAT on earth did you buy in apps and software for 5k? I'm curious

I have the 13 i7 air and I swear its true when you buy one product you want to replace the rest lol. I am upgrading the 20" iMac to a 27" this week, oddly dad only uses it as a computer doesn't do anything fancy on it, getting my sister a 21.5 and want to get myself a 27" apple cinema display although i can do without tb cause it would be cheaper to pick up used for like 700 and i would like a time capsule/airport extreme, and getting new iPhone for everyone in the house once its out

11. aleni macrumors 68020

wait till u introduce apple life to your wife and kids like i did, boy! when i want to upgrade to the new iDevices, i have to buy 3 of them for me, wife and kid or else i'll get raped :D

maccrack!!

12. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah true, think I saved around 100 pounds for not buying the iPad 2, and going for the iPad 1.

That's 100 pounds going towards my MBP, I do know what you mean though :)

13. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Do you NOT want to get raped by your wife?

14. Jrv macrumors regular

You people are insane.

OP, not normal. Such a devotion to one company whose only interest is you money is not healthy. You should be buying the best product, not the product with the apple on it. Sometimes the product with the apple on it is the best, but not always, and you'll never know if you're so devoted to one brand.

15. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

But if all of us are insane... maybe you're just the abnormal one! ;)

16. Jrv macrumors regular

17. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I know I know, I'm kidding.

Hopefully the OP is buying the products because they're best for him, not because they're "fancy" "Apple-fied" or whatnot.

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

considering many of those products have better equivalents, it's just "Apple-fied". (Looking at you Superdrive and AEBS/Time Capsule).

Also, did the OP really need a IPS monitor ? 5k$ in software ?

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Welcome! My story is similar to yours except mine started with the iPhone ... fast forward to today ... I've switched my entire company to Mac's, spent about $90,000 on Apple products last year.

20. iPad-User, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

iPad-User macrumors newbie

ha ha ha

This is how it went for me...

It all started a year ago, when I picked up iPad 1. Then, within a few months iPhone 4...then iMac (2011) for the office.... then (last week) Macbook Air (2011).....

I will be getting iPhone 5 as soon as it is out and the iPhone 4 will go to my wife. Then, iPad 3 when it is out..... I expect until 06/2012 to get an iMac for home, too.

I suppose it never stops.... :)

21. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I know the feeling I'm fairly addicted to buying apple stuff myself. However I used to buy a new pc approximately every 18 months. I've had my iMac for over three years, and am only now feeling like I need a new one. So in some ways it has actually saved me money.

22. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Since February I've bought a 2011 MBP 15" + 240 g ssd, 2011 MBA 13" + 240g SSD, 2011 Mac Mini (home server), Apple TV 2 and a Drobo Pro. I'd buy more stuff but there's nothing else they sell that I need. Oh, and at least a grand in software between copies of Lion Server, Aperture, Office, Parallels and assorted media. This infatution with Apple started with an iPod Touch, 1st gen, 8g. I fell in love with it within hours and got an iPhone 3g as soon as I could. Now I'm on an iPhone 4, and the rest of my family have iPhones of various generations.

In that time I've sold off 2 laptops, 1 desktop and I've got 3 more desktops and a home server that are on their way out too. The sales so far have paid off about 50% of my Apple expenditure.

But, here's where the ROI comes in, I now spend virtually no time admin'ing this setup. It just works!

23. minnus macrumors 6502

It is weird that the iPad is the 'gateway' apple device. I found the iPad rather mediocre and somewhat worthless for what it was. That being said, I own the Acer 500, the Touchpad, and Nook Color.

24. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

If you really needed all of it, and had the money for it, why the heck not? I restrain myself from buying a new macbook year after year. I stopped with the 09 unibody version of my macbook, the iPhone 4, and iPad 1.

I've made the decision I will not be purchasing any other product until these "die" or are useless. But before these products I had every iteration of the iPod touch, nanos, iPhones, MacBooks, and it's not worth it. Invest the money in stocks, put it in a bank, etc. The products keep coming year after year, and the newest designs make your last product feel so outdated. You either keep your addiction under control (not such a bad addiction compared to what other people do), or you'll be spending a lot of money to satisfy your technological urges.

25. Rapp macrumors member

Rapp

Lol - I did it the other way round. Got an iphone for christmas, loved it so got an ipad then replaced my PC with the iMac and just replaced my laptop with the new Macbook Air. Only got the 2tb Time capsule tho... :)