Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
I started from the whole line of iPod products (Classic>Nano>Touch.) Then I bought a white macbook for college. Got an iPad. Now I have my MBA. I really would like to get TB Display. Maybe once I pay off my credit card.

>.<

My one big question with the TB display however, is if I Can use an adaptor to hook it up to my full sized displayport out on my Gaming machine.

If I can, more than likely I'll be purchasing an TB display.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
:) I just had a conversation about this with my lady friend..

She was carrying on how no one needs 3 computers (and by god, I certainly don't) and how I am wasting money etc. etc.

I was listening and nodding (I mean... what can you do when they're on a roll like that?!...)... when she finished and asked me what I got to say...

I told her just two words...

"Think shoes"...

She laughed and said nothing after that...

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I was opposite.

I got into my first apple product with the 3rd Gen ipod. I had just wanted a simple MP3 player that i could take my entire library with me everywhere I went.

Should have lasted me awhile, but you know how it goes. Money burns holes. I won a little extra spending cash one year in Vegas and decided to upgrade to the 5th GEN. Since this was my 2nd Ipod, I decided to buy all sorts of accessories. I bought a dock for home. A dock for the office, And I even wired my car's headunit with an ipod dock.

then the touch came out. OOOH Boy, that is what i always wanted, the convergance of PDA and MP3 players. My pocket buldge dropped from having an mp3 player, PDA, and cell phone to just Ipod and phone! CONVERGENCE YEAH!

but that is where my love affair with apple stopped. Like any good relationship, it becomes like a pair fo shoes. Worn in and comfortable. I had my ipod touch, and it did everything I wanted, and worked with all my docks. Why replace it? Then I got my first ever smart phone Blackberry, and moved my MP3 listening to it. CONVERGANCE! One device to rule them all, my BB is my PDA, MP3 player and phone all in one!

But then the 2011 AIRS came out. I always keep an eye out on tech, and i fell in love with the design and for once, real performance out of a subnotebook! I was in the market since my netbook was driving me up the wall with being unable to even run the latest Ubuntu, so i decided to wait to see what the ultraportables would do to match the AIR. I couldn't wait. My dad gave me an Apple gift card for my birthday out of absolutely nowhere, and i bought one.

Now, I'm in love. But with limited funds, i'm trying really hard not to blow it all on the App store. Or buying accessories and dongles.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
And the addiction can last for years...

Bought my first Mac, a PowerBook G4, in November of 2004. Since then? Well, I just as soon not detail the addiction in a public forum...

And when you think about it, folks that purchase the same brand of automobile for decades are cut from the same cloth. When you find something that works for you, it sure makes life simpler just to stick with the program.

There may come a time when something better comes along to address all -- or part -- of my computing needs, but until then, I'll stick with Apple.

iamacat

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
So do you or don't you have the money?

I am also addicted to fancy cars, five star hotels and first class air travel, but I have managed to keep that under control ever since dot com crash and me starting a family.

But if you have the money, why not? Some people want a 60 inch 3D TV, some want a fancy computer. Just be sure to buy my app too dude. Judging from your $5K figure, you already bought the rest of the app store and headed to Adobe site.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
I've done similar but on a much tighter budget unfortunately. I wish I could spend that kind of cheese in one place without my wife eating my heart out ;)

I built my own PC's for 12 years, heavy into gaming until the last couple years. Now I mostly view media with my stuff with some light gaming. Much like you, I finally saw the light and decided to give the iPad a chance really not knowing what to expect. I absolutely loved it.. and my wife who was deadset against the idea of a "$700 toy" also fell in love with it.

Verizon announces an iPhone 4, I cheer, my wife cries. I had it on launch day of course. Well, after using the iPhone and iPad for a while, I really began to truly appreciate the Apple attention to detail and especially the build quality which is so much higher than.. everything.. else.

Fast forward to the summer, and now I am convinced I MUST have a MacBook Air, so I used it as my treat for going back to school online at night to get my degree. It has made it so enjoyable that I have since began selling off all my PC gear to get a Mac Mini to use as a HTPC as well. And I'm looking at an Airport Extreme and even considering it for the wireless backups with externals via the USB port.

So, yes, it is an addiction, but like any other addiction, some folks have more money before they are "fiending". lol

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
You people are insane.

OP, not normal. Such a devotion to one company whose only interest is you money is not healthy. You should be buying the best product, not the product with the apple on it. Sometimes the product with the apple on it is the best, but not always, and you'll never know if you're so devoted to one brand.

Well, it s a question of: Is it better for the economy for people to spend like drunken sailors, or be prudent and hoard their money like misers.

My take is:

You spend like mad so Apple's stock goes up: hence more jobs.

go for it.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
the iPhone 3G was dissapointing compared to my Blackberry Curve 8310.

Slower than fecal matter to switch functions (phone to maps, etc).

Fortunately the 3GS came out soon after.

Since then its become the iPhone 4, ATV2 and now an MBP13i7. Next planned purchase is an AEBS and a desktop, likely an older Mac Pro instead of an iMac though.

We'll see ........ obviously you get a great display with an iMac.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
Welcome! My story is similar to yours except mine started with the iPhone ... fast forward to today ... I've switched my entire company to Mac's, spent about $90,000 on Apple products last year.

You know I was kinda scared when I saw you spent 90,000$.
I was wondering on what you was spending to be able to use 90,000$ on mac products for yourself. Until I saw it was for your company :p

Well I haven´t really spent so much. Since I have posted here, I might as well give my Apple history :p . It all started with the iPod. Heck I will give a product line.
iPod-touch - Iphone 3G - MBP 13" - MBA 13" + Some accessory and apps, almost forgot them.

Although the only thing that I use from Apple now is mostly laptops, as my desktop is a Windows PC and my cellphone is a Samsung Galaxy S.

The end

phyzics101

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
I feel the same way. It started with the first iPhone. Now every update I need the new one. Mac's, iPhones, iPods, iPad,s Time Capsules, OSX, and iOS. Am I forgetting anything? It feels like every few months Im giving apple money. They have become my addiction. I would go thru crazy withdrawal if I couldn't use any apple product for to long.

This is a problem!!!

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I think this thread really points out how important these entry level "gateway" products like iPods, iPhones, iPads, and even dare I day Mac minis are.

If all Apple had was $1500 computers many of us would've probably been haters or completely ignorant of the world of Apple.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
If my first Apple product was a "gateway product" I'd be a Windows user to this day! My first gateway product was an iPod Nano which I returned two days after purchase and ate the 20% restocking fee!

First Apple purchase was a G5 iMac for my wife. In the years since I've purchased an iBook, 2 MacBooks, a MacBook Air, 4 iMacs, 3 Mac Minis, 2 iPod Touches (one I use heavily) and an iPad for myself and others. I don't use a cell phone. And that Nano was the only Apple product I've ever returned.

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
Up until 2003 I was a serious Windows guy all my life (despised the Apple fanboys!) but when it was time to replace my PC, my boys in college told me I won't be sorry if I get the newly introduced and beautiful 17" aluminum Powerbook. I never looked back.

Today I have an iMac 27 (2010), iPad 2, 13" MBA (2011), ATV2, Time Capsule, and waiting for the next iPhone 5 (to replace my 3GS). My wife also has the iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

If Apple starts selling Televisions, count me in too! I'm all for "KISS" (Keep it simple stupid) Maybe the iPhone or iPad would replace my 4 remotes! For my wife that would be worth all the money on a new Apple Television.

But you know what, if I went with other non-Apple brands, it would have cost me as much!!! :D

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
I ordered ... about $5k in software and apps etc.

... am I the norm?

absolutely. you simply can't get anything done until you've spent a minimum of $5K on software.

Murray, the tiny, disfigured second head that lives on my shoulder, wanted to ask: Is there actually even $5K worth of Mac only software out there?

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Glad I'm not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started with the iPhone 4 and haven't stopped buying Apple products since. I have more Apple computers then I do hands. And the sad part is I am a Windows Server Administrator and can't even use Apple's for work. Though I do sneak in on a VMWare version on Windows from my iMac once in a while.

I'd be sick if I totaled up what I have spent on Apple products in the 15 months since I got the iPhone. :eek:

iPhone 4
2010 21" iMac
Airport Extreme (SOLD)
Airport Express
iPad 1 16GB WiFi (SOLD)
1TB Time Capsule (SOLD)
iPhone 4 (Wife)
2010 13" Air
Apple TV
Touch 8GB (Daughter)
Touch 8GB (Niece)
iPad 2 32GB 3G AT&T
iPad 2 64GB 3G Verizon (Wife)
2TB Time Capsule
2011 21" iMac

Last edited:

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui

Yes I've checked that and waiting (hopefully) for the price to come down from $199 to maybe $20. Actually I'm anxious to see if the iOS5 will open up opportunities for developers to come up with a touchscreen remote with more user-friendly, minimal buttons interface using the iPhone or iPad.

But $200 for a remote, you gotta be kidding me. And Apple bashers think that Apple devices are overpriced and greedy.:confused:

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
considering many of those products have better equivalents, it's just "Apple-fied". (Looking at you Superdrive and AEBS/Time Capsule).

Also, did the OP really need a IPS monitor ? 5k$ in software ?

hey guys, since several have asked the question I'll just quote you instead of everyone.

I really did need it, I'm in the media business so the 27" screen at my desktop will be perfect, I do have PC's running Avid Media Composer with other monitors but Avid isn't the only game in town anymore, FCP is huge as most of you know, I need a mac to run it, I bought the CS 5.5 Creative suite for $2,500ish, the old version on FCP suite for $999 and lots of other plugins and other software to run on the mac.

The flexibility running both Lion and Windows 7 on is fantastic!

Best of both worlds for me, it truly is the best all around mobile laptop I have ever owned.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

We've got the Harmony One, but it doesn't stand a chance against all the devices I've got that want to cycle modes rather than going directly. I have to press "Help" constantly to straighten things out and my wife is finding it hopeless.

An Apple TV would be tempting if I could toss all of these devices and the remote that tries but just can't hack it. But I'd fear that it won't really do what I want. You know for sure it won't have Bluray! And I don't expect it would be able to access media outside of iTunes like Plex does.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
We've got the Harmony One, but it doesn't stand a chance against all the devices I've got that want to cycle modes rather than going directly. I have to press "Help" constantly to straighten things out and my wife is finding it hopeless.

An Apple TV would be tempting if I could toss all of these devices and the remote that tries but just can't hack it. But I'd fear that it won't really do what I want. You know for sure it won't have Bluray! And I don't expect it would be able to access media outside of iTunes like Plex does.

And the remote would only have like 5 buttons. :D

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
I love my Macs but they are no substitute for crack.
I am thinking its time to sell them all and invest in big ol' bag o' crack!

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
I actually started with a Macintosh Plus long time ago when I was a graduate student, then bought a PowerBook 140, and then bought another slim Macintosh desktop. I then stopped using Macs. This Spring I started using Apple stuff again.

Firstly, a hex-core 3.33 GHz Mac Pro with a 27" Apple Cinema Display.
Secondly, a 2010 13.3" MacBook Air.
Thirdly, an AirPort Express.
Fourthly, a 1T Time Capsule.
Fifthly, an iPad 2.
Sixthly, an iPhone 4.
Seventhly, an Apple TV.
Eighthly, a 2011 Mac Mini with a 27" Apple Cinema Display.
Ninthly, a 2011 AirPort Extreme Station.

Also, I bought an iPod Classic 3 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.