Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
I'm sorry but Ashton Kutcher playing Steve Jobs? Really? Ashton's roles have been too frivolous in the past compared to this. Not sure we can have someone who's so goofy playing one of the most serious figures of history. The voice alone puts me off. I'll prob rent it in a few months but no way am I seeing this in theaters.

----------

ohh.... This film is way better, trust me.

There is a joke i was reading the other day between batman and superman. Superman was telling batman: I have laser beans in my eyes, i am stronger, i can fly at the speed of light.

While batman replies: My movies are better.

And superman started to cry.

hishe?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The trailer looks better than that clip that was released a few months ago.

Still not great through. Makes me wonder if the trailer was cut by the same editors, which is not uncommon for indies.

And if so it speaks to the film editing which is not promising. Because someone thought it a keen idea to out anything after the whole 'crazy ones' quote. That was THE money shot of the trailer. And they had to blow it by adding another clip, and a joke at that.

Daze & Confuse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Am I the only one absolutely not interested in this...?

Nope. It looks unbelievably patronising.

The first line 'Steve, it takes guts to drop out like you did' is incredibly awkward and blunt.

Steve flipping out about a 'blatant rip-off' (Windows?), when of course Apple's OS was stolen from Xerox. (But then the winners get to re-write history.)

It's riddled with every cliche in the book. (Angry drive after being fired. He suddenly realises how important his kids are. It's even got a tacky Eat, Pray, Love 'finding yourself in India' bit going on.)

It looks like an awful TV movie. If people could detach their feelings about Steve from their feelings about this trailer I think they'd be laughing at how bad it is!

I expect a lot of stick for this post - but just because Steve did some amazing things doesn't mean this isn't a terrible trailer!

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Film looks good. But here comes the apple fanboys turned film critics to say otherwise.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This feels like "Pirates of Silicon Valley - New Director's Cut with additional footage!"

And that's not a complaint, by the way. It should be interesting.

But I can say, between those two films, I can definitely see why Aaron Sorkin has decided not to do another typical biopic film. I'm glad he's trying something different.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I'm going to love this. :cool:

Of course, it may be a little far off the truth, but it's great to bring some of SJ's quirks & wisdom to the big screen. It will be my next movie I pay money for in the theatre.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Dunno, too much 'Ashton Kutcher looking like Steve Jobs' than actually Steve Jobs. I think they should have gone with a less familiar actor.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I hope it's just the trailer but why oh why do they have to use such cliched and awful music? It's almost insulting. We the audience are stupid - tell us when to be sad - tell us when to be happy - tell us when there's tension :rolleyes: Jeez!

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Steve flipping out about a 'blatant rip-off' (Windows?), when of course Apple's OS was stolen from Xerox. (But then the winners get to re-write history.)

Windows was a rip-off and he has every right to get angry. Steve was shown what Xerox was doing in their labs, he didn't go there at night and steal it. It was a deal between two companies. Apple and Microsoft didn't have such deal when Windows did rip off Mac OS.

It's riddled with every cliche in the book. (Angry drive after being fired. He suddenly realises how important his kids are. It's even got a tacky Eat, Pray, Love 'finding yourself in India' bit going on.)

It's based on Steve's life, so you are saying he did every cliche in the book during his life?

It looks like an awful TV movie. If people could detach their feelings about Steve from their feelings about this trailer I think they'd be laughing at how bad it is!

It doesn't look bad, and it certainly doesn't look anything better than your average summer flick.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Nope. It looks unbelievably patronising.

The first line 'Steve, it takes guts to drop out like you did' is incredibly awkward and blunt.

Yep. Apparently it is full of stuff like that.

You might want to check that history. Because even Xerox says they gave Apple permission, without really thinking about the consequences which is not Apple's fault.

I said the same 'bad tv movie' comment about the clip we saw a few months ago. The camera work and directing were hideous IMHO. Very typical cheap and shot fast TV movie tripe.

Course I don't have a lot of faith in the Sony movie either. I think they are also taking the wrong tact with their story.

What we really need is a limited run tv series. Something done over at least 13 hours if not a whole 22. Something really solidly researched and written to be as true and 'tweaked' as possible. Read the bios, the articles, talk to the players. It would probably take a good 2-3 years to put it together but that would be better than a rush job to grab the hot topic of the day for your own benefit which is really what these boys (director, writer etc) are doing. They knew all things Steve and Apple would get press so they played it to try to make a name for themselves and with it careers. So we get this and not a finely done History or Biography Channel type thing that could have been the launch of a new series about major players in tech. Or world changers or whatever theme they want to use

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
The cinematography looks ok, but the acting is awful. It is a trailer, so it's not the real deal, but it doesn't look good. Might see it... on DVD.

Edit: I just watched the trailer again and it looked even worse.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Am I the only one absolutely not interested in this...?

Nope...you're not alone.

Credit to them for the "Based On A True Story"...which gives them all the room necessary to depart from reality in this apparent hagiography.

In the service of truth and self disclosure...it is likely that f it does not overlap with a Red Sox game, I will watch it when it comes to cable.:p

Trailer almost gave me goose bumps.

Me too!

But then I discovered it was just the onset of a bad stomach virus.;)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Film looks good. But here comes the apple fanboys turned film critics to say otherwise.

I work in the industry. I have worked in some of the biggest titles out there.

And based in my experience in making award winning movies (even if I am just in the VFX department) this movie does NOT look good. It looks okay.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The trailer looks good, and very interested to see.
Its just that Kutcher voice takes away the realism, he doesn't sound like jobs at all (which is obvious) but its just a bit off for me...

jake1776

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Idaho
I was not expecting something done so well. VERY surprised. I'll admit that I got a chill up my spine at the end of this trailer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.