Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Magnolia Pictures has shared the first trailer and movie poster for Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine with Mashable, just over four months after the film premiered at SXSW 2015 in Austin, Texas. The upcoming documentary, directed by Oscar-winning filmmaker Alex Gibney, portrays Jobs as both a tech visionary and unapologetic leader throughout his career at Apple.

Apple senior executive Eddy Cue expressed disappointment in the documentary following its debut, describing the film on Twitter as "an inaccurate and mean-spirited view of my friend" and "not a reflection of the Steve I knew." Cue added that the best portrayal of Jobs is in the book Becoming Steve Jobs by Brent Schlender and Rick Tetzeli, which he describes as "well done and first to get it right."
Very disappointed in SJ:Man in the Machine. An inaccurate and mean-spirited view of my friend. It's not a reflection of the Steve I knew. - Eddy Cue (@cue) March 16, 2015
Universal previously released the full-length trailer for its aptly named Steve Jobs movie, starring Michael Fassbender, Seth Rogen, Kate Winslet and Jeff Daniels, earlier this month. The trailer mainly consists of a single shot of Fassbender as Jobs, with cast voiceovers providing snippets and teases of conversations regarding Jobs' true legacy at Apple, which he co-founded with Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne in 1974.

Steve-Jobs-MITM-Poster.jpg

Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine opens in select theaters on September 4.

Article Link: First Trailer for 'Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine' Documentary Released

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
I never remember Apple in the UK, but I see the price at which they launched and laugh, no one would have paid that as a consumer. We just had all these cheap stuff you hooked up to your TV and cost £100, not £1400....

First I heard of Apple was those terrible PCs they made in the late 90s, they were a laughing stock and all us Windows users were disgusted by them. Wasn't until the iPod that Apple became a thing and Macs have only recently started to become popular thanx to the iPhone and iPad.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
That trailer looks pretty accurate to me based on what I've read in the past. Let's face it, Cue and others on the Executive Team will likely always look at Steve through rose-colored glasses. That's only natural. To be in the position Jobs was in with the amount of influence he had, he was bound to have plenty of enemies and people he pissed off. And, like most people who have positions similar to the one he had, he didn't give a damn about those people.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look like there's going to be anything we didn't already know about Jobs to be told in this documentary.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Cue the people who will defend Jobs being a soul-less maniacal slave driver because "that's what was needed to be successful". I think he could have made even better products faster if he just nice. Three qualities you look for in an employee: nice, bright, driven. For Jobs, two outta three was bad.

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
I am deep into people's minds. I think and then I tests. Regarding Steve Jobs and about extortion and so on. Who hasn't? But that does not mean "we are". And probably there was someone who interpreted he was actually that way. The truth is: If I make my own documentary about my own life everybody will have a different opinion. Imagine doing a documentary about someone else's! So at the end, we have to take it with a grain of salt.

I respect Steve Jobs a lot, but for sure I am glad I was not on his way. A person like that will push you a lot because he pushed a lot of people who were actually very smart already. It not easy to create gold out of everything you touch.

I would watch that documentary, I am not going to swallow it but he was a great dude and I totally miss him.

Reactions: Marcode

Reds622

macrumors regular
May 9, 2014
Going clear was excellent.. Really really well done.

So I'm looking forward to this. However, the fact that some who were closest to him are calling it mean spirited, and not factually accurate, well, that mutes the excitement for me a little bit. But the man who made this is a fantastic filmmaker.. Really really good.

Reactions: polterbyte

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Cue the people who will defend Jobs being a soul-less maniacal slave driver because "that's what was needed to be successful". I think he could have made even better products faster if he just nice. Three qualities you look for in an employee: nice, bright, driven. For Jobs, two outta three was bad.
Nobody is defending a soulless maniacal slave driver. The problem with your statement is just that your assessment of Steve Jobs is completely wrong. Cue the people throwing wild accusations around without understanding the person in any way.

Reactions: Noiseboy and Kroo

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012

By all means, go create a multibillion dollar company since you have it all figured out.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I never remember Apple in the UK, but I see the price at which they launched and laugh, no one would have paid that as a consumer. We just had all these cheap stuff you hooked up to your TV and cost £100, not £1400....

First I heard of Apple was those terrible PCs they made in the late 90s, they were a laughing stock and all us Windows users were disgusted by them. Wasn't until the iPod that Apple became a thing and Macs have only recently started to become popular thanx to the iPhone and iPad.

That's funny because all I remember are us (mostly friends and family) Apple users laughing at Windows users because no one ever wanted to use PC (even PC owners) but they had to for work or because they only wanted to spend $1000 for a spreadsheet PC or $500 for an email PC. Sure the PC ran more software and costs a little less but between all the viruses, Windows launch failures and commoditizing of the PC market, we were happy to pay a little more for Macs and iPods, etc. I guess not much has changed from where I stand.

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
By all means, go create a multibillion dollar company since you have it all figured out.
That is what I say, do you know what implies to do the things he did when no one understood? There was not even internet. Look.... even Jesus got murdered to try to change things. John Lenon too. I do not know how Einstein did it. But people who wants to change things and create will hit many barriers.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
That is what I say, do you know what implies to do the things he did when no one understood? There was not even internet. Look.... even Jesus got murdered to try to change things. John Lenon too. I do not know how Einstein did it. But people who wants to change things and create will hit many barriers.
Jesus and Steve Jobs in the same thought process? o_O

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
That's funny because all I remember are us (mostly friends and family) Apple users laughing at Windows users because no one ever wanted to use PC (even PC owners) but they had to for work or because they only wanted to spend $1000 for a spreadsheet PC or $500 for an email PC. Sure the PC ran more software and costs a little less but between all the viruses, Windows launch failures and commoditizing of the PC market, we were happy to pay a little more for Macs and iPods, etc. I guess not much has changed from where I stand.

And you forgot this:
http://www.wired.com/2009/08/dayintech_0806/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.