MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The first YouTube videos claimed to have been recorded by the iPhone 3G S have started to appear. The quality of the recording is, of course, also affected by YouTube's compression but should give a feel for what the device is capable of in casual usage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-50BAXhxHTU

A second video has also appeared from the same uploader though this video appears to have been edited with music and multiple clips cut together. The aspect ratio is also different, raising some questions about the actual source of the video.

Meanwhile, iFun.de also posts some comparison shots between the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S cameras. The images depict the iPhone box in close-up, accentuating the improvement with the new iPhone's auto-focus camera.

093356-compare_500.jpg

Close-up iPhone box photos. Left: 3G, Right: 3G S

Article Link: First Videos and Photos Uploaded from iPhone 3G S?

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I'll definitely be waiting for you guys to post a better Youtube video. This isn't even an unboxing. haha. The "S" could be a sticker. Now what would be really cool is if some UPS guy filmed a pallet of iPhone 3G-Ss and said "Here they are!!!" :D

Comment

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i cant see the videos...youtube is blocked here..... (no im not currently in Iran)

anyways how is the video quality???

Comment

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
It may not be the best video camera in the world, but it seems to be > youtube quality, which makes it just fine for the masses.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The blurriness in the first shot is clearly due to a smudged lens. Looks like someone dunked it in Vaseline first.

I kinda thought it looked particularly bad, but then I tried taking a photo with my iPhone 3G of a closeup box and it came out pretty blurred.

arn

Comment

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
i cant see the videos...youtube is blocked here..... (no im not currently in Iran)

Where are you and why is YouTube blocked?

Anyway, the video looks great. Not HD, for sure, but for the size of YouTube in default screen size, it's pretty damn clear. I'm impressed.

Comment

jk000

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
UK
But I thought we were completely unsure of weather it was a video OF the iPhone 3G S (box) or a video FROM the iPhone 3G S.

Jack

Comment

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA

You are not missing anything. It's a 30 second video of just looking at an iPhone box that has an "S" after the iPhone 3G. That's all the video is. I hope you are safe. I would not want to be in ANY country that is filtering my internet content for me. :eek:

Comment

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Where are you and why is YouTube blocked?

Anyway, the video looks great. Not HD, for sure, but for the size of YouTube in default screen size, it's pretty damn clear. I'm impressed.

blocked for me too..school districts..

Comment

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
is the 3G a brand new phone too?

it needs to be a brand new 3G camera compared to a brand new 3GS for an accurate comparison.

Comment

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If the video is legit, then that's not bad for video taking. Of course, the real test will be how it performs in low light conditions.

Comment

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
If the video is legit, then that's not bad for video taking. Of course, the real test will be how it performs in low light conditions.
No... the real test was that. How it performs 90% of the time you need it. Night is a plus at best, being able to film in normal conditions means a hell of a lot more.

Comment

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
No... the real test was that. How it performs 90% of the time you need it. Night is a plus at best, being able to film in normal conditions means a hell of a lot more.

low light conditions? really? I'm sure it won't be great. You really think the iPhone camera will perform well in low light conditions? That shouldn't even be a test, it's a camera phone with no flash. It'll probably be crappy.

Comment

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
If the video quality is 'acceptable' I may jump in and upgrade to S. I'm sure in a few days we'll be flooded with video samples.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.