Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
The ones we have look like this. The irresistible should be replaced with resistible.

promo_chips.jpg

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Ok we're going to pretend this didn't happen.

That said, fish and chips are really good. One of my favorite not-so-healthy meals. :)

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
OutThere said:

That said, fish and chips are really good. One of my favorite not-so-healthy meals. :)

Oh come on! 52 posts later and you still won't tell us the story! There must be one... :D

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
gwuMACaddict said:
Had the best Fish&Chips in New Zealand... forget the name of the town, but near Sandspit, about an hour north of Auckland on the East side of the island... Yummmmmmm

I had great fish and chips in Hobart, Tasmania. Then again, I'm American -- I probably don't even know what good fish and chips are.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
What a coincidence. I'm having fish and chips tonight too. In fact, they're on their way from the chippy as we speak.

Top Three Fish and Chips in England (that I've been too)

1) The one in Covent Garden, London. Can't remember what it's called.
2) Mr Thomas' Chophouse in St Anne's Square, Manchester
3) My parents (and my old) local one in High Lane, Stockport. Although they can't do mushy peas for squat.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Fish and chips are just not complete without mushy peas. And they're only done properly north of Birmingham :p

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Hmmmm.... now the question is; is it ok to get fish and chips *twice* in the space of a week?

I'm hungry, have no food in the house and am surrounded by take away restaurants, including a chippie.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
OutThere said:

He came, he posted, he left :p

How do you feel? How was your dinner? did you keep it down? :p

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
FleurDuMal said:
What a coincidence. I'm having fish and chips tonight too. In fact, they're on their way from the chippy as we speak.

Top Three Fish and Chips in England (that I've been too)

1) The one in Covent Garden, London. Can't remember what it's called.

Is it near a sextoy coffee shop? On a corner, lousy wooden tables, cheaper for takeaway?

I think we both dig the same place. :D

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Blue Velvet said:
Just as a counterbalance then...

*reaches for vinegar*

31009_fish_and_chips_tcm142-22278.jpg

That's more like what I had last night...the picture I put up had ugly pale fries. The chips with mine were much heftier. :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
drlunanerd said:
Try the Sea Cow in Dulwich and Clapham. You can have whatever fresh fish they've got in from Bilingsgate Market that day, battered or grilled.

The Sea Cow is pretty good... The Dulwich one is my local chippy but they still leave the skin on the fish... and you have to take your own brown sauce!

The best chippy in Britain (if not the world) is the Fish Bar in Anstruther, Fife where you get the added ambience of getting it served in paper and sitting outside with your feet hanging over the sea wall of the harbour while munching through a haddock (skinless) the size of a whale! The only downside is that you can queue for 30 minutes for your dinner!

anstruther_23.jpg

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Applespider said:
The Sea Cow is pretty good... The Dulwich one is my local chippy but they still leave the skin on the fish... and you have to take your own brown sauce!

I agree, leaving the skin on is sacrilege! I believe they'll cook it without if you ask though.

That place in Scotland looks lovely. May be going up to Dunfermline soon so will check that one out!

Only had F&Cs last night (from the Sea Cow in Clapham) whilst watching the footy, but can't help salivating reading this thread again :D

The best fish and chips, and I'm a Yorkshireman so should bloodywellknow, are found in Leeds. The Skyliner was a childhood favourite - great name and great food. Of course the original Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley ranks up there too, although of course they've desecrated the brand now. I recently went back and managed to get a certificate for polishing off a super-size portion (although my mate reckoned I cheated, dunno how?!).

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Visiting Vancouver for first time and I decided to try this fish and chips place. Highly recommend the Lingcod fish there. Place is called The Fish Counter
IMG_20190819_121254.jpg IMG_20190819_121145.jpg IMG_20190819_121251.jpg IMG_20190819_121248.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Visiting Vancouver for first time and I decided to try this fish and chips place. Highly recommend the Lingcod fish there. Place is called The Fish Counter
View attachment 853953 View attachment 853954 View attachment 853955 View attachment 853956

Stunning pictures - and I must concede that I am more than greedily partial to good quality fish'n'chips, but holy mackerel - sorry, given the thread topic, holy cod and holier haddock - serious necro thread revival.

If the dates in question are correct, the previous post to yours occurred in 2006.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Vancouver is a super fun city, definitely the right place to score some amazing seafood (some cool music and art scenes there too).

F&C is simple, but hard to get really spot on (especially getting the batter just the right thickness, cooked all the way through, cripy, not soaked in oil ...), and I won't even get into the chips :D

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Stunning pictures - and I must concede that I am more than greedily partial to good quality fish'n'chips, but holy mackerel - sorry, given the thread topic, holy cod and holier haddock - serious necro thread revival.

If the dates in question are correct, the previous post to yours occurred in 2006.

I tried another fish and chips place by the waterfront in Vancouver today. Not quite as good as the place from yesterday. The fries/chips :p were oily and soggy in my opinion. The batter on the fish was not as good as the batter I had yesterday. In my opinion the Lingcod from yesterday tasted better but I was told to try the Halibut as it was fresh today.

IMG_20190820_131950.jpg IMG_20190820_134347.jpg IMG_20190820_134234.jpg IMG_20190820_134229.jpg IMG_20190820_132017.jpg IMG_20190820_132005.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Those fries look ace. Beer batter fish, too. That flake is impressive. Most impressive fish and chips I had was at some gastropub years ago where they used fatty-esque salmon. Melted in your mouth. Though hard to work with, I imagine, because it isn't as firm. I've made tuna fish and chips before with my own caught tuna. Very hard to get just right. Don't really recommend it unless you like frustration.

Safe travels, Stylin. Just there with the missus or did you wrangle your kids there, too?

Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Those fries look ace. Beer batter fish, too. That flake is impressive. Most impressive fish and chips I had was at some gastropub years ago where they used fatty-esque salmon. Melted in your mouth. Though hard to work with, I imagine, because it isn't as firm. I've made tuna fish and chips before with my own caught tuna. Very hard to get just right. Don't really recommend it unless you like frustration.

Safe travels, Stylin. Just there with the missus or did you wrangle your kids there, too?
Just me and my daughter. I got haggled for a few minutes about my daughter. The customs officer asked me where her mom was and I said in Taiwan. He asked why she was not with us and I said she had to work. He said where? I said family business. He then asked if I had a letter from her mom allowing her to travel with me. I said she travels with both of us all the time I never gave her mom one and her mom never gave me one. I said sometimes we all travel together and sometimes it is with just one of us. I said of all the countries I traveled to no one had ever asked me to carry and provide a letter and neither did her mother ever ask me for one. I said now I know if it is required for Canada I will bring one next time just for you. He then asked why I was coming, where I was staying, if I came here before and where I was going. I told him I was here for a 1 week holiday and planned on eating fish and chips and visiting all the scenic spots as school started next week for
My daughter and I wanted to take her somewhere for her summer holiday trip before school started as she spent all summer taking summer classes and did not go any where yet this summer. He let me go, said to enjoy our holiday and said best to bring one for the future. I was thinking to myself in my mind “This is my daughter and I am no freakin Epstein”. :rolleyes: o_O The Asians coming in though were really getting drilled with questions and were being sent off to some other place for further interviews.

That aside the other fish and chips from the first restaurant was the salmon one. It was the first time I ever had a fish and chips with salmon. I figured who would come to Canada and not try it when the fish and chips place recommended that. I ordered one of each and split it with my daughter so We could both try both items. It is different but I really liked it.
This is the salmon one.
823BF185-F7CC-44B4-AEE1-0E1BAFE482ED.jpeg 4DE760A4-7D9B-46B8-A37F-92208F634ECD.jpeg

So far I really do like and love Canada but it is definitely not on the cheap size. Things are quite pricey here compared to Asia. People here are really nice and friendly.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Just me and my daughter. I got haggled for a few minutes about my daughter. The customs officer asked me where her mom was and I said in Taiwan. He asked why she was not with us and I said she had to work. He said where? I said family business. He then asked if I had a letter from her mom allowing her to travel with me. I said she travels with both of us all the time I never gave her mom one and her mom never gave me one. I said sometimes we all travel together and sometimes it is with just one of us. I said of all the countries I traveled to no one had ever asked me to carry and provide a letter and neither did her mother ever ask me for one. I said now I know if it is required for Canada I will bring one next time just for you. He then asked why I was coming, where I was staying, if I came here before and where I was going. I told him I was here for a 1 week holiday and planned on eating fish and chips and visiting all the scenic spots as school started next week for
My daughter and I wanted to take her somewhere for her summer holiday trip before school started as she spent all summer taking summer classes and did not go any where yet this summer. He let me go, said to enjoy our holiday and said best to bring one for the future. I was thinking to myself in my mind “This is my daughter and I am no freakin Epstein”. :rolleyes: o_O The Asians coming in though were really getting drilled with questions and were being sent off to some other place for further interviews.

That aside the other fish and chips from the first restaurant was the salmon one. It was the first time I ever had a fish and chips with salmon. I figured who would come to Canada and not try it when the fish and chips place recommended that. I ordered one of each and split it with my daughter so We could both try both items. It is different but I really liked it.
This is the salmon one.
View attachment 853995 View attachment 853996

So far I really do like and love Canada but it is definitely not on the cheap size. Things are quite pricey here compared to Asia. People here are really nice and friendly.
It isn't about sex trafficking. It's about illegal immigration: overstaying. Your experience would have been different if you visited a consulate and said you wanted to invest $150-500K in the Canadian economy. I'm as white as you could imagine and whenever I go into certain EU countries, mainly France, I'm taken aside and questioned at length because I've said in the past I was there on business. I presume I've been flagged and the French are not kind to outsiders bringing or taking work away unless it benefits local economies as much as it does the owners. In other words, they're nutty and they're the butt of jokes as far as I can remember. I don't know what immigration sees on their computer when I'm scanned in, but I'm fairly sure some of my visits to countries are blocked out or have been removed when I worked in government, or it shows up with a reason. No idea, never asked, don't want to cause trouble. Also helps when you're white and know enough languages or know enough of a language to pretend to be an utter idiot tourist and know what's being said. Though that's tricky being a European expat who's a naturalized American.

That said, I'm glad you tried the salmon fish and chips. I'm surprised it's actually a thing since I rarely read about it on travel sites/forums. Did you guys try the Canadian national dessert? It's a sweet fried dough topped with anything you want. It's called a beavertail. Naughty names aside, it's kind of like a lighter beignet and it's fairly rich "street food." You can also get a custom one made if you ask.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
It isn't about sex trafficking. It's about illegal immigration: overstaying. Your experience would have been different if you visited a consulate and said you wanted to invest $150-500K in the Canadian economy. I'm as white as you could imagine and whenever I go into certain EU countries, mainly France, I'm taken aside and questioned at length because I've said in the past I was there on business. I presume I've been flagged and the French are not kind to outsiders bringing or taking work away unless it benefits local economies as much as it does the owners. In other words, they're nutty and they're the butt of jokes as far as I can remember. I don't know what immigration sees on their computer when I'm scanned in, but I'm fairly sure some of my visits to countries are blocked out or have been removed when I worked in government, or it shows up with a reason. No idea, never asked, don't want to cause trouble. Also helps when you're white and know enough languages or know enough of a language to pretend to be an utter idiot tourist and know what's being said. Though that's tricky being a European expat who's a naturalized American.

That said, I'm glad you tried the salmon fish and chips. I'm surprised it's actually a thing since I rarely read about it on travel sites/forums. Did you guys try the Canadian national dessert? It's a sweet fried dough topped with anything you want. It's called a beavertail. Naughty names aside, it's kind of like a lighter beignet and it's fairly rich "street food." You can also get a custom one made if you ask.

Flying into Thailand or Japan I always tell them I flew there just to eat. “Eat they ask..?” I then say “Yes, I love your food I fly out here just to eat”. Name their places and restaurants and tell them I am “foodie”. They smile and let you go :)

Thanks for the dessert tip. Have not tried it yet. Will look for it and ask about it. Today I tried this place out. Not too shabby but I must say of all the countries I have been to I have never seen Oysters this small before lol. Literally the size of the first line on the tip of my two fingers. Clam size like. “I won’t say what else came to mind” lol..o_O

So far this was nice the nicest looking restaurant I had been to in Vancouver since I arrived. I saw that they had fish and chips here too but I already had it for lunch so I ordered some other fish dish. This fish literally melts in your mouth like butter. Really liked it.

Next on my list for Fish and Chips is The Vancouver Fish and Chips.
DF5FC1EC-DA97-4094-A13E-5AE0154F9D38.jpeg 7DA04D8D-9808-406B-9569-C063AC02DCEA.jpeg 9C1FEB8D-99F2-4E8E-A37C-A3F6966FB9B3.jpeg 10498A48-7F44-4726-9999-311AAEA88674.jpeg 77C4D6A6-2F7E-4FED-8C3D-57846BB8EE43.jpeg 90384FB1-001D-42EE-B3B0-5CC0B63E9AD1.jpeg 24FCC7F9-538A-462F-B97B-9426256D7002.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
LOL, those are very small. Those look illegally harvested given their size, even if it's "farmed." Is that miso glazed cod on a bed of sauteed broccolini or kale with what looks like quinoa?

That asparagus with skin on mashed garlic potatoes looks good, though. I haven't seen fat asparagus in stores for over a year. It wouldn't be hard to grow them myself but they multiple like jack rabbits, apparently. And I'm not a huge asparagus fan in the first place.

As a rule I don't eat oysters. It's a texture issue. I'd seek out a nice Italian, French or Spanish restaurant and order lambs' fries to fulfill your comparison of those oysters. :p

Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
LOL, those are very small. Those look illegally harvested given their size, even if it's "farmed." Is that miso glazed cod on a bed of sauteed broccolini or kale with what looks like quinoa?

That asparagus with skin on mashed garlic potatoes looks good, though. I haven't seen fat asparagus in stores for over a year. It wouldn't be hard to grow them myself but they multiple like jack rabbits, apparently. And I'm not a huge asparagus fan in the first place.

As a rule I don't eat oysters. It's a texture issue. I'd seek out a nice Italian, French or Spanish restaurant and order lambs' fries to fulfill your comparison of those oysters. :p

You are good with food. Good guess :)
The best Asparagus I ever ate were the ones I bought in Taiwan which were imported from Australia. They were thick and tasty. Nothing like I ever had before. I ordered 4 oysters all together. 2 different kinds. One I returned due to color and smell. The small ones looked illegally picked for Canada regulations I would assume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.