Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delta25

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
I surprised that they didn’t have some common things like voice commands for Google, Waze or Spotify. I have these all setup and working well for CarPlay.
I created a bunch of Shortcuts for Spotify. You can find them here :)

Reactions: trifid

Hezzaa

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
I made a shortcut which checks my uni calendars first lecture for tomorrow and sets a plethora of alarms an hour before I need to get going. Truly great :D

Piktor

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
Still useless for the watch correct? I couldn’t ever get it to trigger any installed on my phone through me watch.

Anybody else wondering how to use Siri Shortcuts on the Apple Watch? No app, Siri does not recognise the shortcut commands on the watch etc...?

Can't find anything online...

DVD Plaza

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
adelaide.sa.au
Another one: text someone by voice. I often text a specific person when I'm on my way home, probably driving, and can't text. So I press this button, say what I want, and it will transcode it to text and send it to the specific person.

Many of the basic examples people have been giving, such as this one, Siri has been able to do inbuilt for years. e.g. I've been asking Siri to send text message for me via my Apple Watch while I'm driving on an almost daily basis for two years now - I couldn't be without it.

Having her automatically calculate my ETA into a message though, that's cool.

Except that in the tests I've done so far, running a Shortcut via Siri on the Apple Watch is horrendous... either doesn't work at all or takes so insanely long that there must be carrier pigeons involved in the exchange :(

Reactions: dysamoria

macjaffa

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
Reactions: Hezzaa

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I’m looking to create a script that automatically engages low power mode at 55%.

I also found a few scripts that are good if you get pulled over. It sends location to people u specify, tells them you've been pulled over, starts front camera, sends the video to people you specify, and saves to iCloud and Dropbox.

maconme

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Web surfing!
I found a Shortcut that will run iHeartRadio with Siri, it works on my iPhone. I however can not get it to work on my HomePod without unlocking my iPhone. Do I need to adjust the Shortcut?

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
One I use a lot: Remind me when I get home. It lets me enter a message and it will remind me about it when I get home, much faster this way than going through the annoying Reminders app where it takes a whole bunch of clicks to get the same thing done.

...um... am I missing something? can't you just... see when you are home? Is this a joke??

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I created a bunch of Shortcuts for Spotify. You can find them here :)
Thanks! I’m pretty sure those are the ones I am using. Shortcuts is still in its infancy. Hopefully these limitations will be better handled as it matures. I’ve noticed that these limitations are affected by how they are called. For example CarPlay treats your phone as unlocked and bypasses some pauses.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
And um... what's the point of the Brush Teeth Timer, and the Tea Timers, if the screen turns off during that time? As soon as that happens, the shortcut stops running so... WTH did Apple not test these things? Completely useless...

andrepfortier

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Toronto

The iOS 12 update brought a major new feature, Siri Shortcuts, which is designed to let you create voice and tap-activated automations that can complete multiple complex tasks in just a few seconds.

In our latest YouTube video, we've rounded up five Siri Shortcut options that we think most people will find interesting. These are a great place to start if you're new to Shortcuts.

Siri Shortcuts are available in the Shortcuts section of the Settings app (Settings > Siri & Search) and through the dedicated Shortcuts app, but you can also find great options on Reddit and other websites. The Shortcuts below have been sourced from multiple places.

- Calculate Tip - Perhaps one of the simplest Shortcuts available, Calculate Tip is available in the Shortcuts Gallery. When you activate this Shortcut, it will ask you the total bill and the amount that you want to tip (12%, 15%, 18%, or 20%) before providing you with the tip amount and the total bill with tip included.

- Convert Burst to GIF - With Convert Burst to GIF, sourced from Reddit, you can take a series of burst photos with the iPhone camera by holding down on the capture button and then convert them into a GIF. There are also shortcuts for doing the same thing with a Live Photo in the Shortcuts Gallery.

- Watch Music Video - The Watch Music Video Shortcut, also from Reddit, lets you detect the currently playing Apple Music song and then search for the accompanying music video on Apple Music. If a music video is found, it will open it up in the Apple Music app so you can watch it.

- What's Happening on Twitter - If you have the Twitter app installed, you can create a "See What's Happening" Shortcut that will allow you to view Twitter's Moments section with a Siri voice command. You can access this option by going to Settings > Siri & Search > Twitter > See All.

- Dark Sky Weather - With Dark Sky installed, you can see a weather forecast with information pulled from Dark Sky through a Siri voice command. As with Twitter, you can get to this option through the Siri & Search section of the Settings app. Assigning a command like "What's the weather today" to this third-party Shortcut will let you get weather data from Dark Sky rather than the built-in weather app when you ask Siri about the weather.

Many of the Shortcuts listed above can be tweaked and customized after you have downloaded them if desired, and you can assign Siri voice commands to activate them. For app-based Shortcuts, you can do this in the Settings app, and for longer Shortcuts that have multiple steps, you can add a Siri command in the Shortcuts app.

Do you have favorite Shortcuts that you've been using in iOS 12? Let us know in the comments and we may feature them in a future video.

Article Link: Five Useful Siri Shortcuts for iOS 12
[doublepost=1538569812][/doublepost]Dark Sky Weather link doesn't work for me, I receive an error:

" No webpage was found for the web address:https://itunes.apple.com/ca/developer/jackadam/id461812081?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4 HTTP ERROR 404"

Anybody have any suggestions to get this shortcut?

Gammmas

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
Does anyone know if it is possible to to send Music or other audio to a Airplay location using Siri shortcuts?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Am I the only for whom the shortcuts work when I click on them in the app but not when I use Siri?

For example, clicking on the Shoot a GIF shortcut creates a gif but using Siri just opens the camera even though I recorded my voice to activate this shortcut.
I'm just trying to get Siri to understand me when I say the word 'burst'. Trying to record this word, Siri understands it as 'breasts', 'first', 'rest', 'are', 'post', 'wrist', 'nearest', 'Bristol', 'route' or 'birthday' (that last one was probably the combination of 'burst' and 'to', this attempt resulted in 'Convert birthday gift').

Siri clearly tries to match a complete phrase and 'birthday gift' is ranked more likely to be correct than 'burst to GIF'. I get that Siri normally would do things like picking 'give' over 'GIF' but this is an attempt to record a phrase for a Siri shortcut titled 'Convert burst to GIF'. Siri obviously is not very context aware here. Or rather it only seems to be context aware only when it itself is suggesting a phrase but not when it should try to link the title of a Siri shortcut to its trigger phrase.

Ferneaux

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Tampa
I wrote one that basically the same as "Home ETA" when it was workflow, but it does everything the gallery Home ETA does PLUS the addition of adding 15 minutes to the ETA time texted (because traffic is teh suck), and opening Waze navigating to my Home address.

Here's what I added:
  1. Street Address: filled out with your home address.
  2. Get Travel Time: Transportation Mode = Driving (duh)
  3. Adjust Date: Add 15 Minutes
  4. Format Date: Date Format = None; Time Format = Short
  5. Set Variable: ETA
  6. Text: The message I want to send to my wife with the "ETA" variable in it. For example, "Leaving the office now. Waze says I'll be home at ETA" (where ETA here is the variable)
  7. Send Message: Turn off "Show When Run" because I don't care to see the text I know is being sent. Set my wife as the Recipient. (duh again)
  8. URL: add this URL
    Code:
    http://waze.com/ul?favorite=home&navigate=yes
  9. Open URLs: this will open the above URL, thus opening the Waze app to navigate to your "home" favorite. You can replace the word "home" in the Waze URL with any of your favorites to get it to navigate to that location.

The of course one I call "Start NPR" that I run after I have everything hooked up in the car that is simply the iTunes URL to my local WUSF NPR Radio Station.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Could you please share this shortcut?
[doublepost=1538519201][/doublepost]

2 of the 3 can be done without shortcuts, it's already been available in siri.

You can just say hey siri remind me to bla bla bla when I get home. and for the 2nd one you can just say, text someone <your message>.

You don't need shortcuts to use those.

This is a few IOS versions ago but using Siri to create a reminder did not work for me for whatever reason. Tried it 2 or 3 times, searched both Apple and the internet for people having problems with it, found a lot of hatred for Siri but no reasons as to why it didn’t work for me and quit trying to use it. Other Siri features worked from occasionally to reliably but not setting up a Reminder.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Lol turning a $1000 phone into a tip calculator? Seinfield wins again...

Jerry: "And you can do everything with it. You can get e-mail, fax, there's a
calculator."
Morty: "So, I can use it in the restaurant to figure out the tip?"
Jerry: "Yeah, I guess. But the really cool thing is the daily planner."
Morty: "Helen, we can go into restaurants and figure out the tips."
Helen: "Jerry, you're getting your father too excited."

Last edited:

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Siri is very useful and reliable for simple commands. But maybe you have one of those weird accents, which is the source of much Siri frustrations.
Sire understands me perfectly. It's the interpretation of what I'm saying that's the problem.

- I ask her to create an appointment with [...], and she creates "Appointment" without [...]
- I ask her to remind me of [...] and she replies "sure, what do you want to be reminded about?" ignoring [...]
- I ask driving directions to the supermarket and she sends me across the globe.
- I ask her to turn the lights off and she can't find them.
- etc etc etc

Shortcuts is no cure for Siri stupidity, just a bandaid.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Tile updated their app and firmware a few days ago to include shortcuts, and now you can ask Siri to help you find your keys, etc. without having to go through all the steps. (First world problems, I know, but we're on a forum called Mac Rumors, people. Mac Rumors...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.