iPhone 8(+) (Fixed in 11.0.2) Iphone 8 plus crackling static noise in earpiece during calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vask, Sep 22, 2017.

1. bchris macrumors newbie

2. Lulfy macrumors newbie

The top speaker does intermittently pop while watching YouTube videos on my phone.

3. bchris macrumors newbie

iPhone 8+ on AT&T.

I haven't had the crackle in my earpiece but have had people on the other end of a call complain that I sound far away, garbled and an echo.

Seems to be random and on about 1 out of 3 calls.

Did hard boot, power cycle, memory flush, and network resets.

Skype also crashes instantly on login. Crashes instantly without opening after the first login crash.
    Uninstall/reinstall and I can get to login screen again.....then it crashes trying to log in. Have to do the uninstall/reinstall to even get a login screen again.

Logged a support call to Apple and filed a 'feedback' on the Apple site.

4. JLeal macrumors member

The version 8.7 of the Skype App has just been released, which solves that common crashing issue. Now I've tested it and it works. Anyway this is something different than the issue this forum thread is about.

Someone has mentioned before something about iOS 11.0.1, which theoretically should solve the crackling sounds problem. Any confirmation about that? Anyone?

5. bchris macrumors newbie

Thanks, I see the 8.7 in updates now. Wasn't there an hour ago. I will download and try it.
    Just will take a little time to sort all the quirks out I'd think.
    Chris

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I have not been able to get this to happen in any other app besides the Phone app during phone calls. Not even VoiceMails show this.

7. yeahtyeaht macrumors regular

yeahtyeaht

I ordered a 8 Plus and I hope its a Software issue. Dont want to send it back because I have no second phone to use

8. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

Yup, when i press on the lens glass and the flash area, it also crackles.

9. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

Picked up an 8+ today. I normally use speakerphone or headphones 90% of time but tried top speaker (to head) for this issue. Played 2 30 second voicemails about 4 times each & did not hear anything weird/cracking/popping.

10. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I too have the crackling issue on phone calls. It's not super bad but it's definitely there. Haven't noticed anything odd when playing music or any other audio, so would seem it's isolated to non loudspeaker use. I'd imagine a software update will resolve. Otherwise my 8 Plus is fabulous so far.

11. Splandid macrumors newbie

Splandid

12. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

Yes, that's like mine. Little crackles. Nothing huge but does need fixed.

13. JLeal macrumors member

This is exactly what happens to me.

14. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

Exactly what happens to me too.

15. bchris macrumors newbie

JLeal,
    Thanks, The Skype update did the trick.

The slight rattle you hear near/in the camera lens area may be the VR (vibration reduction) lens element/system.
    I have had that in an iPhone before.....slight taps and you can hear it moving around. Many VR implementations use a floating element. Some Nikon lenses will do this if you remove the lens before you power the camera down. You will hear a rattle in the lens.

16. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

This sounds more like a flicking whereas mine more like rice crsipies.

17. Simply Red macrumors newbie

Simply Red

Thats exactly it

18. Bronte222 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with my iphone 8. I noticed it in the store but the guy helping me didn't hear it. The odd thing is that I only have an issue when making iphone to other cell phone devices, but it sounds absolutely fine when I'm calling a landline. An Apple tech had me do a hard reboot this weekend but it did nothing to fix the problem. Has anyone been to the genius bar yet?

19. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

It isn't a rattle, it is a digital clicking sound that most of us are hearing.

20. Polymerpouch macrumors newbie

Polymerpouch

I can confirm that holding your finger near the rear microphone (the small black hole) in between the flash and camera lense illicits a higher frequency of pops/clicks. Particularly if you pass your finger over it.

21. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

Add me to the list. Just got my iPhone 8 Plus SG ATT and you can hear the cracking noise on calls as well.

22. Bronte222 macrumors newbie

I'm hearing more of a higher treble sound and the s's kind of buzz, almost echoey. It's very odd that my calls to landlines sound perfect, but anytime I call someone's cell phone the issue appears. When I make a call from my car, using bluetooth and the car's speakers, I don't hear it.

23. bchris macrumors newbie

Ok. I haven't heard the digital crackle yet in mine, just the garbled complaints from people I am talking to.

I can tap the corner of the iPhone near the camera and hear a slight rattle like in the other iPhones with VR.
    Definitely a mechanical rattle when you do that. Phone is locked and not in use.

24. will_b macrumors newbie

will_b

It can't be hardware. There are only two different sound. One click "at the beginning" and the other "at the end" and this two sound repeats always over the call.

If the problem is hardware, there are more that two different sounds.

It is just a speculation...

(sorry for my English...)

25. Lx007 macrumors newbie

That’s very similar to what I’m hearing. Maybe it doesn’t fully get picked up in that recording, but mine sounds a bit higher pithed and more harsh.