Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lulfy

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
The top speaker does intermittently pop while watching YouTube videos on my phone.

bchris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
iPhone 8+ on AT&T.

I haven't had the crackle in my earpiece but have had people on the other end of a call complain that I sound far away, garbled and an echo.

Seems to be random and on about 1 out of 3 calls.

Did hard boot, power cycle, memory flush, and network resets.

Skype also crashes instantly on login. Crashes instantly without opening after the first login crash.
Uninstall/reinstall and I can get to login screen again.....then it crashes trying to log in. Have to do the uninstall/reinstall to even get a login screen again.

Logged a support call to Apple and filed a 'feedback' on the Apple site.

JLeal

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2017
iPhone 8+ on AT&T.

I haven't had the crackle in my earpiece but have had people on the other end of a call complain that I sound far away, garbled and an echo.

Seems to be random and on about 1 out of 3 calls.

Did hard boot, power cycle, memory flush, and network resets.

Skype also crashes instantly on login. Crashes instantly without opening after the first login crash.
Uninstall/reinstall and I can get to login screen again.....then it crashes trying to log in. Have to do the uninstall/reinstall to even get a login screen again.

Logged a support call to Apple and filed a 'feedback' on the Apple site.

The version 8.7 of the Skype App has just been released, which solves that common crashing issue. Now I've tested it and it works. Anyway this is something different than the issue this forum thread is about.

Someone has mentioned before something about iOS 11.0.1, which theoretically should solve the crackling sounds problem. Any confirmation about that? Anyone?

bchris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
The version 8.7 of the Skype App has just been released, which solves that common crashing issue. Now I've tested it and it works. Anyway this is something different than the issue this forum thread is about.

Someone has mentioned before something about iOS 11.0.1, which theoretically should solve the crackling sounds problem. Any confirmation about that? Anyone?

Thanks, I see the 8.7 in updates now. Wasn't there an hour ago. I will download and try it.
Just will take a little time to sort all the quirks out I'd think.
Chris

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The top speaker does intermittently pop while watching YouTube videos on my phone.
I have not been able to get this to happen in any other app besides the Phone app during phone calls. Not even VoiceMails show this.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
I'm not sure anymore it is just software. I just made a call using RingCentral (voice over IP, call made over wifi and not Verizon network) I noticed that if I lightly tap on the camera lens or the flash area it causes the EXACT same crackling / high pitched popping sound. Using an 8+. Not looking good...

Edit- Yep, I can consistently reproduce this issue! Tapping the lens (and more often toward the flash light area) causes the high pitched clicking every time for me. Sometimes if I use a little more pressure to tap it causes it, sometimes a light tap does it. Also try leaving a finger on the camera lens / flash area during a call and just apply pressure. This also caused the clicking to happen more often during the call.
Yup, when i press on the lens glass and the flash area, it also crackles.

Reactions: Harthag

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Picked up an 8+ today. I normally use speakerphone or headphones 90% of time but tried top speaker (to head) for this issue. Played 2 30 second voicemails about 4 times each & did not hear anything weird/cracking/popping.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I too have the crackling issue on phone calls. It's not super bad but it's definitely there. Haven't noticed anything odd when playing music or any other audio, so would seem it's isolated to non loudspeaker use. I'd imagine a software update will resolve. Otherwise my 8 Plus is fabulous so far.

bchris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
I too have the crackling issue on phone calls. It's not super bad but it's definitely there. Haven't noticed anything odd when playing music or any other audio, so would seem it's isolated to non loudspeaker use. I'd imagine a software update will resolve. Otherwise my 8 Plus is fabulous so far.

JLeal,
Thanks, The Skype update did the trick.

The slight rattle you hear near/in the camera lens area may be the VR (vibration reduction) lens element/system.
I have had that in an iPhone before.....slight taps and you can hear it moving around. Many VR implementations use a floating element. Some Nikon lenses will do this if you remove the lens before you power the camera down. You will hear a rattle in the lens.

Bronte222

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
I have the same issue with my iphone 8. I noticed it in the store but the guy helping me didn't hear it. The odd thing is that I only have an issue when making iphone to other cell phone devices, but it sounds absolutely fine when I'm calling a landline. An Apple tech had me do a hard reboot this weekend but it did nothing to fix the problem. Has anyone been to the genius bar yet?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
JLeal,
Thanks, The Skype update did the trick.

The slight rattle you hear near/in the camera lens area may be the VR (vibration reduction) lens element/system.
I have had that in an iPhone before.....slight taps and you can hear it moving around. Many VR implementations use a floating element. Some Nikon lenses will do this if you remove the lens before you power the camera down. You will hear a rattle in the lens.
It isn't a rattle, it is a digital clicking sound that most of us are hearing.

Polymerpouch

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Yup, when i press on the lens glass and the flash area, it also crackles.

I can confirm that holding your finger near the rear microphone (the small black hole) in between the flash and camera lense illicits a higher frequency of pops/clicks. Particularly if you pass your finger over it.

Bronte222

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
I'm hearing more of a higher treble sound and the s's kind of buzz, almost echoey. It's very odd that my calls to landlines sound perfect, but anytime I call someone's cell phone the issue appears. When I make a call from my car, using bluetooth and the car's speakers, I don't hear it.

bchris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
It isn't a rattle, it is a digital clicking sound that most of us are hearing.

Ok. I haven't heard the digital crackle yet in mine, just the garbled complaints from people I am talking to.

I can tap the corner of the iPhone near the camera and hear a slight rattle like in the other iPhones with VR.
Definitely a mechanical rattle when you do that. Phone is locked and not in use.

will_b

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2016
Ok. I haven't heard the digital crackle yet in mine, just the garbled complaints from people I am talking to.

I can tap the corner of the iPhone near the camera and hear a slight rattle like in the other iPhones with VR.
Definitely a mechanical rattle when you do that. Phone is locked and not in use.
It can't be hardware. There are only two different sound. One click "at the beginning" and the other "at the end" and this two sound repeats always over the call.

If the problem is hardware, there are more that two different sounds.

It is just a speculation...

(sorry for my English...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.