Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I am on 11.1 PB as well. Yesterday, I couldn’t use the Messages app. It crashed immediately after opening. Tried hard resets, and eventually had to restore from iTunes backup to fix the issue. Have you run into this?
I have not.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
How is it AT&T’s fault when it’s Apples warranry policy they enforce on AT&T (and every where else you buy the phone) that isn’t their choice?

AT&T isn’t perfect but this seems ridiculous to blame them for something that isn’t their fault.
AT&T chooses to assess a restocking charge
On iPhone returns Apple does not
So ya the wrong choice

Reactions: ABC5S

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
This is the only part I agree with.
How About SIM locking...
Data Throttling
The LTE Apple Watch release and grandfathered data plans
FAN discount elimination
TV Plan bundling
I’m not saying other carriers are better just
AT&T always the wrong choice

Reactions: ABC5S

Jamalrm

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2017
I had the same crackling issue on my 8+ 64GB Space Grey, following this tread from very beginning I need to add that my phone developed the fault further where I had a weird metallic “ping” sound every time I moved it close to my ear (I do not wear earrings :) ). After prolonged conversation with Apple support I was assigned Genious Bar appointment. Guys at the Apple store didn’t even want to have a look at my phone when I described the fault and informed me that the software path will be coming out shortly. However when I asked the question about the pinging sound when applying a slight pressure near the earpiece the guy told me that I’m imagining things... unbelievable. I am convinced that the crackling we are all suffering is a design flaw and all Apple is doing is working on a way to hide it (possibly by reducing or tweaking sound produced by speaker, which would explain some report of muffled sound on 11.1 beta). Nevertheless I was refused replacement even though it was reported within first 14 days of purchase (phone was bought in UK) hence requested a refund which they had to process.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
Picked up a 256GB iPhone 8 Plus yesterday, and confirm that the static noise was immediately noticeable during phone calls.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I had the same crackling issue on my 8+ 64GB Space Grey, following this tread from very beginning I need to add that my phone developed the fault further where I had a weird metallic “ping” sound every time I moved it close to my ear (I do not wear earrings :) ). After prolonged conversation with Apple support I was assigned Genious Bar appointment. Guys at the Apple store didn’t even want to have a look at my phone when I described the fault and informed me that the software path will be coming out shortly. However when I asked the question about the pinging sound when applying a slight pressure near the earpiece the guy told me that I’m imagining things... unbelievable. I am convinced that the crackling we are all suffering is a design flaw and all Apple is doing is working on a way to hide it (possibly by reducing or tweaking sound produced by speaker, which would explain some report of muffled sound on 11.1 beta). Nevertheless I was refused replacement even though it was reported within first 14 days of purchase (phone was bought in UK) hence requested a refund which they had to process.
I am not writing off anything you say.
WTS, I had the issue on iOS 11.0 and 11.0.1.
I went to Public Beta 11.1 and issue is resolved. I have NO.. ZERO muffled call issues. IMO, it is resolved with beta firmware that will be released soon.. I think 11.0.2 could come this week.

pfaner

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
What about the loudness of the speakers? Does 11.1 resolve the issue AND keep the advertised +25% loundness over iP7 or they have just weakened the hardware?

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
For those who haven’t gone to PB iOS 11.1.. I hope 11.0.2 is out today and bring you relief.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Well. Curious. If anyone has the game Sudoku ME.. fill in some numbers and you hear a cute little pop sound. Occasionally, I get a crackling sound with the pop sound. Normal? Anyone know. It does sound like a speaker popping.

Press a lot of numbers, say 10 or so as it first will sound normal and then the cracking comes. I’ve emailed the game developer but it doesn’t sound like the game. Sounds like a louder version of the speaker crackle.

Sorry folks. Tested with Air Pods and that crackle isn’t there. On louder volume it seems to happen less. Going to make it happen a lot go see if some break-in works. If not, going back.
[doublepost=1507001380][/doublepost]So I made a screen recording of the issue. You could hear the crackle while making the video .. but not on playback of the video.
[doublepost=1507001527][/doublepost]Scratch the louder volume happening less comment.
[doublepost=1507002830][/doublepost]These settings exacerbate the issue.
[doublepost=1507002964][/doublepost]
Well. Curious. If anyone has the game Sudoku ME.. fill in some numbers and you hear a cute little pop sound. Occasionally, I get a crackling sound with the pop sound. Normal? Anyone know. It does sound like a speaker popping.

Press a lot of numbers, say 10 or so as it first will sound normal and then the cracking comes. I’ve emailed the game developer but it doesn’t sound like the game. Sounds like a louder version of the speaker crackle.

Sorry folks. Tested with Air Pods and that crackle isn’t there. On louder volume it seems to happen less. Going to make it happen a lot go see if some break-in works. If not, going back.
[doublepost=1507001380][/doublepost]So I made a screen recording of the issue. You could hear the crackle while making the video .. but not on playback of the video.
[doublepost=1507001527][/doublepost]Scratch the louder volume happening less comment.
[doublepost=1507002830][/doublepost]These settings exacerbate the issue.
Was able to recreate issue in Sky Guide
[doublepost=1507003255][/doublepost]I was in the camp it was software. Was convinced 11.1 PB resolved. Not anymore. Literally opening Sky Guide now and game sound accompanied by speaker popping sounds.

Attachments

• 9BD7C7C7-B3BC-4421-950F-5ADE58DB2B4E.png
    9BD7C7C7-B3BC-4421-950F-5ADE58DB2B4E.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

Ngamtns706

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
Well as long as it fixes it in calls. I don’t care if I can think I can recreate it playing some sodoku game.

Senfinger

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
I purchased two Iphone 8s yesterday and they both are doing the same thing. Had one damaged out and attempted a call on the replacement and was fine and now the second call I made today it's popping/crackling on the new one. My guess is it's affecting more than just a small amount of devices LMAO at news articles and Apple quotes.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I agree in that I do not think this is ‘small’ number of users. The Apple Community forum is filled with people from all over the world reporting it.

I am conflicted now because I thought iOS 11.1 resolved the issue.. it did resolve the in-call crackling. However, when I heard the speaker pop in the games.. and then tested .. and confirmed .. (even with game developer) I became pretty frustrated.

My only option is to return/exchange the phone but based on many posts here I am not convinced a new phone will resolve the issue.. and there is no stock available for my phone.

Reactions: Senfinger

ashleyman

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2017
Apple have offered to confirm in writing they'll extend my 14-Day returns window for an extra 2 weeks to allow time for a software fix to be released from them.

If that doesn't happen then I'll return the phone and re-buy once it's been properly fixed.

Reactions: Senfinger

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I agree in that I do not think this is ‘small’ number of users. The Apple Community forum is filled with people from all over the world reporting it.

I am conflicted now because I thought iOS 11.1 resolved the issue.. it did resolve the in-call crackling. However, when I heard the speaker pop in the games.. and then tested .. and confirmed .. (even with game developer) I became pretty frustrated.

My only option is to return/exchange the phone but based on many posts here I am not convinced a new phone will resolve the issue.. and there is no stock available for my phone.
What happened between 7 and 8. New supplier? Cost cutting? What about X. Prospects good that could be same.

Senfinger

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Apple have offered to confirm in writing they'll extend my 14-Day returns window for an extra 2 weeks to allow time for a software fix to be released from them.

If that doesn't happen then I'll return the phone and re-buy once it's been properly fixed.

Was that the Store or the Phone Support- might be doing the same request! = P

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Reviewed new speaker issue w/ Lead Tech at my local Apple Store. He took diagnostics. Awesome guy.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
In 11.0.2 notes it specifically states "fixes an issue where crackling sounds may occur during phone calls for a small number (LOL) iPhone 8 and 8 Plus devices." Go go go download this guys! Very interested to see if the issue has been fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.