Flagship Apple Stores Outfitted With Interactive Tables to Highlight 3D Touch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flagship Apple Stores in San Francisco and New York have been outfitted with new "Force Touch" tables, which are designed to show off the new 3D Touch feature on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. In these retail locations, there's a special table that houses iPhone 6s models.

When a 3D Touch force press gesture is used on the screen of one of the iPhones, which all display a fish, the table reacts to the pressure with a neat rippling water visual. The touch-enabled table can be seen in the video below from Grate App. (via 9to5Mac).

These tables are only in San Francisco and New York at the current time, but it's possible Apple could install them in additional stores around the world as part of an iPhone 6s promotional effort. The fish theme of the table and iPhone duo is also used on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus boxes and in their live wallpapers.

Apple calls 3D Touch, the flagship feature of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, the "next generation" of Multi-Touch. 3D Touch enables new pressure based gestures, allowing users to "Peek" at content link links in Messages or Mail with a light press and "Pop" into that content with a longer press. 3D Touch also includes Quick Actions for accessing app content directly from a press on an app icon on the Home screen.

Article Link: Flagship Apple Stores Outfitted With Interactive Tables to Highlight 3D Touch

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
They could have saved themselves the bother of water on a giant screen, and just had REAL water in a shallow translucent tray, under-lit. Wow, talk about over-engineered.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I can do that with my iPhone 6 by dropping it in a filled bathtub! Well, once anyway...

In all seriousness that looks like a very nice presentation.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
That is freaking awesome!

I hope they expand this to other places as well, although I'm not getting my hopes up to ever see this land anywhere outside of US/CA/UK.

Glassed Silver:mac

MrGuder

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2012
WOW, talk about a great way to sell the iPhone 6s....no fair I want to try it. :D

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
The ONLY action that these demo units can show is force touch against a fish background? So you'll need to walk over to the iPhone display table to actually try the feature in real world usage...seems a bit redundant. Is it cool, interesting, different, Apple? Of course. Love things like this...but if they're not functional units where you can see 3D Touch in action, other than seemingly pressing on a picture of a fish in water, wouldn't that confuse people than do more good? We know how silly people can be who walk into retail stores...hence the removal of Smart Signs, as 75% of people couldn't understand why the iPad in front of the iPhone didn't have a 'working home button'...lol.

Ky Van

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Paris, France
I'm jealous, these iPhone 6s do have some kind if wireless charging technology embedded since the iPhones are glued up on top of a pad.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
I'm jealous, these iPhone 6s do have some kind if wireless charging technology embedded since the iPhones are glued up on top of a pad.
They likely have a false bottom...you'd be surprised at the trickery of some of the former smart signs, the Apple Watch displays, even some of the former window displays. They're all pretty clever from an engineering standpoint. Example: the Apple Watch demo units with the attached iPad minis: they have a similar false bottom, allowing the watch to plugin directly to a MacBook battery, allowing the watch and iPad displays to last most of the day. Would be surprised if they used similar engineering with these phones. Interesting stuff.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
This is interactive in the same way that dipping your finger into a puddle is interactive, sans any beauty and simplicity from having thought to use ACTUAL WATER instead of some fancy overkill use of tech to achieve a LESSER experience than, well, a tray of flippin' water :D

"Interactive" - a term to sound clever, when in fact, it's just a load of electronics approximating something which would have cost them MANY orders of magnitude less, and have looked better.

Reactions: DiceMoney

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
I doubt the general public, after playing with the ripple effects, would know the difference between 3D touch and the old school ripple effects of those old koi pond apps using just regular capacitive touch that had been around since the iPhone 3G.

Wish they would demonstrate real world benefits of 3D touch on the iOS instead. But at least it looked fun playing with the fish I guess :)

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
An opportunity, I feel, may have been missed by not having used REAL WATER: The opportunity to show how the iPhone 6S can withstand splashes and the odd dunk into water. Then again, it's kinda hard to do that without coming off as crass and "Samsung-esque" I supposed (Apple will silently add water-resistance, whilst Samschmuck SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS AS A "FEATURE")

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.