Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
This is being analyzed too much. It's meant for entertainment purposes and in some cases it will make a sale. I want to try it out sometime if they ever bring it to a store closer to me.

Reactions: shandyman

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
How exciting, basically a layered context menu on a screen based on input.... bit light right click mouse button on a screen. How inventive and gimmicky. I've tried it on the display models and its garbage and would never use it. Im not that lazy to open an App.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
thats cool.

its kinda annoying trying to explain 3D Touch to people. i usually just get a o_O* or "okaaaaay? ... point?" "why not just open the app?" response. sorta like when people back in the day wouldnt understand why i would want to use my fingers instead of a stylus on my iPhone 2G :D

Kirb112

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013

Flagship Apple Stores in San Francisco and New York have been outfitted with new "Force Touch" tables, which are designed to show off the new 3D Touch feature on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. In these retail locations, there's a special table that houses iPhone 6s models.

When a 3D Touch force press gesture is used on the screen of one of the iPhones, which all display a fish, the table reacts to the pressure with a neat rippling water visual. The touch-enabled table can be seen in the video below from Grate App. (via 9to5Mac).

These tables are only in San Francisco and New York at the current time, but it's possible Apple could install them in additional stores around the world as part of an iPhone 6s promotional effort. The fish theme of the table and iPhone duo is also used on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus boxes and in their live wallpapers.

Apple calls 3D Touch, the flagship feature of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, the "next generation" of Multi-Touch. 3D Touch enables new pressure based gestures, allowing users to "Peek" at content link links in Messages or Mail with a light press and "Pop" into that content with a longer press. 3D Touch also includes Quick Actions for accessing app content directly from a press on an app icon on the Home screen.

Article Link: Flagship Apple Stores Outfitted With Interactive Tables to Highlight 3D Touch

Apple has way too much money

Reactions: Arran

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I think they actually do computing like things, not scare fish to swim away from you, what a ridiculous wate of money, nice for little kids though.

This.

Fair play to Microsoft they were way ahead of the game with the Surface Table, i still long to have one of these as my desk (but perhaps with a rising edge to mimic a monitor for more comfort).

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
The ONLY action that these demo units can show is force touch against a fish background? So you'll need to walk over to the iPhone display table to actually try the feature in real world usage...seems a bit redundant. Is it cool, interesting, different, Apple? Of course. Love things like this...but if they're not functional units where you can see 3D Touch in action, other than seemingly pressing on a picture of a fish in water, wouldn't that confuse people than do more good? We know how silly people can be who walk into retail stores...hence the removal of Smart Signs, as 75% of people couldn't understand why the iPad in front of the iPhone didn't have a 'working home button'...lol.

Oh look, the fun police are here

Are these Microsoft Surface tables?

The tables aren't touch reactive, they're just screens

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Is it just me or have most of us not used 3D Touch all that much since getting an iPhone 6s? I simply haven't remembered it that much as a feature. I mean I want to. And I like it when I use it. It's just not so compelling the I remember. Know what I mean?

lol thanks!! You just made me feel much better because I decided a week before launch to keep my 6plus

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
It's rather useless atm and in fact ruins my experience because they left long press in, half the time it's getting what I want to do wrong. They should have taken long press out and put a delete app option in the pressure sensitive menu.

IOS is training me not to use it since nothing works with it, I just get fed up and I don't bother any more. It would have been better inf act to put delete app inside that menu as at least then I'd keep using it and then gradually see more options appear as they get patched in.

riffola

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
I played with this last night. Check out the custom ultra low profile Lightning Connector that Apple has made for this 3D Touch Demo table.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 150

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
How about more support for it? I've had the phone for a week and already forgot I've had it. Even something simple as 3D touching the display while the phone is off to see notifications would solve the "touchID" is too fast issue and reduce the wear on the buttons.
In Android land it's called touch to wake. Maybe we can get a jailbreak tweak to do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.