'Flappy Bird' Removed from App Store by Developer

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Yelloowboixx macrumors newbie

It seems he just wanted to be left alone?
    He say it ruin his simple life.... So sad... U can look at the video i posted a few comment up and see for youself... Well here it is if it makes it easier for you

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yPZei-84W4g

2. kenboy127, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014

kenboy127 macrumors newbie

If you have downloaded the app before, you can still re-download it from the 'Purchased' section of the App Store.

[​IMG]

3. badams002 macrumors member

Oh grow up, dude. 50K/day? Every job has aspects that is less than desirable. It is those less than desirable parts that keep you from living in your mom's basement. Put your big boy pants on and be a GROWN UP.

4. Flood123, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014

Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

Perfectly legitimate opinion.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I am in the same boat with the TV guide magazine app. Didn't know it had been pulled but it still downloaded via my iCloud backup. Although I don't know how long that will last so I did a transfer purchases to my computer to back up the app file

6. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Nope, you can't/most likely won't get a refund. That big long document that you agreed to before making an account has a clause saying that Apple/developers have the right to remove apps without concesquence. (With more legal stuff over my and 99% of the world's head). It goes along with the whole "you don't own downloaded content, you buy the ability to download it for as long as it's there. It's a problem that I still believe the world as a whole needs to figure out.

7. bsolar macrumors 6502a

Who says he needs a job? He might have earned enough money already to live a simple, peaceful life until he kicks the bucket, or he might have other revenues which he considers to be enough.

8. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

9. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Was an annoying game. Don't see what the big deal was/is!

10. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

Dumb

The game is frustratingly enjoyable. Sad to see it go. I play it a couple times a week. It's Zen.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Well yeah. Game still works, he still gets ad money off it, to the tune of $50k a day and now he doesn't have to bother updating to iOS 8+ or fixing bugs because he discontinued the game

12. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't claim to know the culture or tax laws where Dong lives. But it is completely conceivable that THAT kind of excess money is not only not "honorable" and/or a huge hassles when it comes to taxes, etc.

I'm not saying it is or isn't. But before one judges him based on our own cultural norms - it's important to think that elsewhere in the world, money and fame aren't regarded as important as other things.

13. venusboy macrumors regular

I've been playing this all day and I've only gotten to 32. I've gotta delete this app or I'm not gonna get much work done tomorrow.

photo.PNG

14. luigi408 macrumors 6502

Lol what a little bitch. Waa waa. Everyone is harassing me. Waa.

15. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Nothing was stopping him from going offline and going on a year long vacation around the world and come back to count the money he made over the year.

16. I like bananas macrumors member

Really? You do realize it was the most popular app on iOS, right? Why would he even need to something like that?

Is it really so hard for people to believe that he wants to get away from the massive amounts of negativity surrounding him and his game?

17. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

Completely inappropriate. You know nothing about this man or his life. It doesn't matter if his reasons are good enough for you; their his reasons.

18. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

We must remember that we wouldn't want others to tell us how to spend our resources, so we shouldn't tell others how to spend theirs. The game was his property, he should be allowed to do with it as he pleases. Anyone who disagrees really doesn't understand the concept of "freedom to choose".

19. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

I'm willing to bet that he's severely unstable mentally if there isn't some PR stunt behind of this.

20. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Why would you arrive at that conclusion? Why not give the man the benefit of the doubt and assume he did what was best for him in the long run?

21. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

This guy is either very clever, very stupid, or having a meltdown.

He probably just needed to stick to coding and hire a management company to run things and count his money. One day's revenue could have more than seen to that...

Shame, as the guy could be having mental breakdown, as this is not normal behaviour.

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm interested in why you feel that an individual desiring a return to privacy and avoidance of undo attention is "severely unstable"?

I wasn't aware that the desire to avoid celebrity and all that goes with it was a sign of severe mental instability.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Oh the stress of $50k a day. Seriously, just don't respond to emails and stay "unconnected". There has to be more to the storey...removing the app doesn't change anything.

24. Johns12 macrumors regular

Everyone has all the answers for others, but are usually devoid of those answers for themselves. Based on some of the responses I see hear, I don't blame him.

25. garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

I didn't judge his choice. I've said I (obviously) don't know the details, but I feel there is more to the story. Your above statement is WAY more judgmental than mine (might not care about family or charity AND you think his story is fishy).

Of course this is my opinion. This is a rumors forum where were discussion something we don't have the details on.

HERE'S A possible SOLUTION: Couldn't he have removed the ads and left the app up?

Okay, maybe it's not a solution, but it was certainly an option. Solves most of the problems that we know about...

Gary