Flash v19.0.0.226

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
Altemose,

It's true that the attack surface presented by FLASH on a PPC is larger that other systems because FLASH hasn't been patched since v10. Personally I consider FLASH a risk on -all- operating systems.

TenFourFox is my primary (default) browser with WebKit used when flash is needed. The G5 is not my primary computer. It's connected to a 27" TV that is used to steam training and security information. TenFourFox is able to play HTML5 and Webkit is used for flash content from known sites (twit.tv, Cybrary.it, ITpro.tv, etc).

Last edited:
Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Flash is an enemy in a performance regard as well. The thread I linked to uses QuickTime to open video streams, which needless to say is much better in terms of performance than Flash or even HTML 5!

Comment

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
Secure or not the fact is that until all videos are available in a non-FLASH format some people will continue to use it.

Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Michael, let me know the day Pandora can play music using something other than flash ;)
The thread that I linked to is simply for video streams. Furthermore, there is an option in ClickToPlugin to load Flash as a fallback in case the site does not support playing in QuickTime format.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.