Flashing R9 280X for boot screens/PCI System Information

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr. Zarniwoop, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Earl Urley, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

Earl Urley macrumors 6502

It's really just shocking how you spend good money on a (then) new card and when you look at it years later, the factory thermal grease looks like someone glopped it on literally with an ice cream scoop.

Also, I have the cooling unit from another MSI 280X in reserve, in case the fans burn out. It's actually from my first 280X, but I tried to remove that damn resistor for the full 5 GT speed and in doing so the card died somehow.

And then Apple comes along and resolves the issue with a firmware upgrade out of nowhere..

What's funny is that I'm running BOINC on a Mac Pro 5,1, hexacore CPU, Mojave 10.14.3, and the GPU BOINC work units take only 17 minutes to process.. on an 8-core iMac Pro running 10.14.3 with a Vega 64, the work units take 20 minutes to finish.. eh?! Somethings wrong with this picture, but it aint on the old 5,1's side.

2. JulianGray macrumors newbie

JulianGray

Hey guys! i'm trying to get a msi 280x working on my 3,1 mac pro AT ALL. whenever I try it, I get no visual at all. Using a mini 6 pin pcie and mini 6 pin pci to 8 pin adapter for power right off the board.

Am I missing something? I just get a black screen. Completely unflashed. works great in my PC.

Mac is running mojave.

3. Alex Sanders74 macrumors regular

Alex Sanders74

Which video port are you using? DVI would be my first choice. Also, what screen are you connecting to? Could be a combo of both....

4. JulianGray macrumors newbie

JulianGray

I've tried using all the ports with a few different displays. I don't think it's a power issue, as the fans are spinning up, but I can't get any visual at all on any port/monitor configuration.

One thing to note, Obviously I have no way of telling whether or not I'm booting into mac OS because I have no boot screen. It may be stalling before getting into the operating system for all I know.

5. tsialex macrumors 68040

tsialex

MP3,1 + any AMD GCN GPU + Mojave don't, and never will, work.

2008 Mac Pros don't have SSE4.1 instructions that AMD GCN GPU drivers since High Sierra are complied to use.

AMD GCN GPUs are anything newer than, and including, HD 7xxx.

6. JulianGray macrumors newbie

JulianGray

AH! good to know. Luckily it was just an extra card i've got lying around. was just trying to clarify. Trying to switch it to AMD because the current state of nvidia drivers ;(

7. Homi2 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I´m new her. I need some help please.
    My System: MacPro 2012, 5.1, High Sierra 10.13.3 (an important Software for me does not support a later system), Gigabyte R9 280X Rev.2
    The GPU is already flashed, I have Boot Screen, works with 3 Monitors, 5GT.

My Problem now: If I boot with windows (windows 8.1, Legacy install) everything works fine, but only when I use a second Grafikcard (HD2600XT) together with the R9 280X installed.
    But if I try to boot windows only with the R9280X installed, it stocks before the LogIn window. (Boot with ALT, then select "EFI")

I tried al lot of things, also made new BootRoms. Nothing helped.

Is my problem the windows system? Or is it maybe an UEFI EFI incompatibility? Or another Rom?

Sorry for my bad english....
    Could anybody help me?
    Thanks

8. startergo, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

startergo macrumors 6502a

startergo

I don't quite understand what you do . You said Windows 8 is installed in legacy mode yet you say " boot with alt then select EFI".
    Anyway if it Is an EFI Windows you might have issues with the driver. For me updating the driver to Microsoft basic display adapter worked . Also if it is EFI install then you should be using UEFI or EFI ROM to boot.

9. Homi2 macrumors newbie

If I try to boot windows (only R9 280X installed) this happens:
    Switch on with ALT, I decide "EFI BOOT", then it ends in black screen, no login window.

10. startergo macrumors 6502a

startergo

If you can get to safe mode (normally 3 unsuccessful boots gives you the option to select safe mode) than you can change the driver. Or if you have 2 cards and can see the windows OS you can replace the driver .

11. Homi2 macrumors newbie

Ok, I did a clean install, a lot of time...
    Now everything works perfect, 3 Monitors, OSX, Windows, Bootscreen...
    Thank you

12. startergo macrumors 6502a

startergo

How did you install Windows in EFI or legacy mode?

13. Homi2 macrumors newbie

I did a clean windows 10 legacy install without Boot Camp-assistent on a separate ssd. During installation no other harddiscs installed.
    Manual Bootcamp Drivers installer 5.1.5621.

My actual working System is 10.13.3.
    I also installed for testing Mojave on another harddisc. Seems to work fine, also with the Gigaybyte R9 280X with 3 Monitors.
    Boot Rom now 140.0.0

14. dor1angray macrumors newbie

New here, all flashing instructions clear, bought 280x - first is from PowerColor (eBay seller sent me thinking I could not tell it from MSI lol, reported it to eBay and ended up keeping it since the seller did not want to pay the return shipping) and then another 280x now from MSI since I knew I needed an MSI for sure to have the boot screen. Both GPUs are used.

Have both of the power cords, running El Capitain on my Mac Pro 2.1 (2006 upgraded to 2.1), after inserting either of the cards into the 16x PCI, their fans are spinning, I hear the booting chime, but no video from either of them (inserted one at a time). If I insert the original GeForce GPU alongside, I see that OS X is booting but in the PCI utility is not showing the other card.

From what I understand, the MSI 280x should work out of the box, just without the boot screen, but neither of the cards is giving any video output from any of the ports, tried them all including DVI, miniDP, and HDMI.

Could it be that I was unfortunate enough to get a lemon with both eBay cards?.. I did not expect any luck with the one from PowerColor, but I was quite surprised not to get the MSI to work OOB. I don’t have Windows installed so cannot switch the OS in bootcamp to see if Windows sees the cards. No spare tower here as well to plug it in and see it the cards work at all.

Do I need to do something extra to my Mac Pro to have the card detected? Any specific BIOS/OS X system files manipulations? If not and it should really boot into a clean OS X El Capitain and recognize the card after getting to the password menu any ideas on how to diagnose the cards to see what’s wrong (without Windows) would be much appreciated.

15. Macschrauber macrumors 6502

Macschrauber

Try a linux thumb drive, should get a video signal out of it.

Also Freedos (what you need for flashing) gives simple text output.

10.7.5 and later must give video signal, if fully supported I cannot tell at the moment.

16. tsialex macrumors 68040

tsialex

How you are powering the 280x? You need to connect at least two miniPCIe 6pin to PCIe 6pin to the GPU.

17. dor1angray, Feb 18, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019 at 8:39 AM

dor1angray macrumors newbie

Do I create a bootable Freedos flash drive and Mac Pro will be able to boot from it? Though that due to the system limitations I could not use a thumb drive for any OS installation/booting (e.g. Windows for bootcamp cannot be installed from a Thumb Drive, it must be an installation DVD).

Also, how do I select it at the time of booting if the 280X GPU is already in and I am getting no video?

Thank you!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2019 at 8:37 AM ---
    Yes I am using 2 cables from the MB: one is 6 to 8 pin and the other is 6 to 6 pin. Does the fact that both fans are starting to spin mean it is getting enough power and the cables are alright?

Also, does it matter which BIOS switch position is selected on the card?

Just trying to isolate the root cause of the issue and figure out if I was so unlucky to have both cards DOA or there is something else wrong outside the 280X (poor cables? any additional tweaks required to be made in the system files of El Capitain, etc.)

Thanks for your input!

18. Macschrauber macrumors 6502

Macschrauber

you can either burn the Freedos CD or - as I did - DD the image to a spare spinner and boot Freedos from Sata. Never got Freedos to boot from a USB thumb drive.

pull all bootable devices and after a while you will get the Freedos wall of text when the driver kicks in, same as with MacOs and GPUs without Mac EFI in Rom.