Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Any particular reason for going with 1440p over 4K?

Yea a couple reasons.

1. Price, this is a stop gap monitor.
2. Availability - there are no Dell 4K monitors available in the UK.
3. Non-scaled resolution - when I'm working on Windows I prefer to have a non-scaled resolution, something about how things render that looks just right. Running a 4K monitor at 150%, some things just look off and a little "out of focus".
4. Sweet spot. I think 1440p provides a nice amount of working space and on 24" it doesn't take up much space.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
It's interesting you mention that. After building my PC one of the things I was most surprised by was how sharp Windows looks on this 27" 4K monitor. MacOS looks very fuzzy to me using the default mode which "Looks like" 1440p.

Obviously Windows is less consistent with scaling. The Origin store looks awful, when even Valve finally figured out scaling after too long I think it's inexcusable. Like many of Windows problems, it's at least partly a result of the freedom of software development on the platform and the reliance on the software provider supporting features.

As an aside, I sure wish I could find a Series X. Stock is still bad.

In terms of the OP:

I didn't account that, when building my PC, I would still be sitting at home working instead of going to the office for so long. I have to say having both my work and entertainment chained to the same display all day is unbelievably tiring and distracting regardless of how much I like having a powerful PC to chew through the games on GamePass. This obviously would be less of an issue even with WFH if I had a home-office and a separate space for the gaming PC.

I enjoy the process of researching parts and troubleshooting my hardware and getting it running in a fantastic way but, even with a solid foundation of knowledge my custom desktop has not been trouble-free. It never failed to start or anything but I've had small intermittent issues that have taken numerous hours to solve (high idle temps, weird voltage behavior on the CPU, problems with Bluetooth). Some of that is solved by resigning yourself to pre-builts and laptops. On the one hand I'm thankful Windows and the hardware OEMs let me tweak and change things to my hearts content and fix things myself but, having the problems in the first place isn't most peoples idea of a good time.

This is all a long winded way to say I still haven't decided whether or not to ditch my 15" MBP as a casual use device. I thought about a gaming laptop but they largely seem to be bad as laptops and aren't as good at gaming. Right tool for the right job. But maybe a compromise is in order.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Right now I am really struggling to pull myself away from my PC to the new M1 Mac Mini for anything other than short periods. Don't get me wrong, I love the new MM but I have just been finding my experience of returning to Windows during the last few months to be a pretty enjoyable one.

What I have been finding is that when on Windows I make way more use of my iPad Pro and enjoying it much more, the MM less.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am really struggling to pull myself away from my PC to the new M1 Mac

Not for nothing but this probably the biggest reason why I'm not tempted by the M1. For my usage and preferences and just enjoyment. The PC is better hands down. I'm not knocking the M1, but one size doesn't fit all and at the moment (things can change), I find my PC a better fit.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Honestly I really enjoy macOS, Windows is good but I just love the visuals/integration of macOS. I'm kinda bummed that I have to wait until the iMac comes out. I was really tempted to go M1 Mac Mini and the LG 5K, but I can't see the value in the £1,200 monitor when something like an iMac will give that visual experience and a better value point. I just have to wait 8-10 months (my guess).

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I find my PC a better fit.
This is what I am finding as time goes on. Before I was looking at what does my PC need to do that a Mac can't? Now I am looking at what my PC can't do that the Mac can (things I really need/want) and is there a way to bridge that? The answer does appear to be iPad.

Also, loving the new Satechi keyboard and stand for the iPad, perfect fit for my workspace alongside the PC.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Just offered $375 for a Late 2015 iMac 27 inch. It's a stopgap until AS higher-end models come out later this year.

I paid $466 for a Dell 27" 4K monitor last year so I figure I'm getting a great monitor for less and it comes with a computer. I'm going to add 32 GB of RAM so it has 48 GB and will decide on using the Fusion drive or an SSD down the road. I have three other systems that I can use it with in a cluster but haven't decided which to use it with.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I had a play around this weekend with a small desk on the opposite wall to my main desk and it is tight but feasible. I'm leaning towards getting a budget gaming only PC on that desk and my main desk will be for my Mac setup. As many have said, best of both worlds is probably the sweet spot and removes the need to flip flop.

PC would be 1080p 144hz build, looks like it will cost around £1100. Just need to try and source a RTX 3060 or RTX 3060 Ti at RRP.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Can't really fault Apple on their hardware ability to both last and perform well. That machine will be pretty decent even 5 years later. Good price.

Looks like it fell through. I haven't heard back from him. My guess is he realized that he could get a lot more for it. Most of these for sale in my area are asking $1,200. They will likely get $600 I think.

So my options are the Mini M1 or the 2020 iMac i7 now.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
There are some sales on prebuilt desktops with 10700f/3700x and 3060TI/3070 GPUs. Price is around $1200-$1289. The only problem, that you have to spend $1200 upfront, part out your GPU and try to sell the rest with your used old GPU. Or maybe give it to relative/kids/leave yourself.
This bundles will be good to those who need new desktop anyways and not only GPU.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
There are some sales on prebuilt desktops with 10700f/3700x and 3060TI/3070 GPUs. Price is around $1200-$1289. The only problem, that you have to spend $1200 upfront, part out your GPU and try to sell the rest with your used old GPU. Or maybe give it to relative/kids/leave yourself.
This bundles will be good to those who need new desktop anyways and not only GPU.

Believe me, I've been looking at those too.

Dell/Alienware has a 5600X system and you can add a wide array of video cards to it. They have upgrades to 5800X, 5900X, 5950X but you have to upgrade the PSU and go to water cooling. I really don't like their enclosure (it's like an XPS with plastic parts around it) as it's too small and doesn't look like it provides sufficient cooling. You are paying a good premium for the better CPUs but at least you're getting it from a reliable source that has tested the system out.

I have no idea as to the quality of the PSU and MB but my experience with Dell is that they don't use the best of components.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Another way is to buy a used desktop with a good video card and hope the seller doesn't realize the value of the components.

On Amazon in the UK I can buy a complete brand new system for delivery tomorrow, i5, RTX3070, 16GB ram, NVMe and Sata drives etc.. £1,400. Not much different than some are paying for the RTX card alone..

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Here is the full spec of the system I'm putting together. It will be a no RGB build (as usual), except for the GPU which is bling and even has an LCD screen on the side!

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR
CPU: AMD 5600X
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 8GB AORUS MASTER
Monitor: Dell S2721DGFA
Case: Phanteks P300A
PSU: 650W Seasonic Core Gold
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C17 3600MHz
Storage: WD Blue SN550 500GB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black

Things left to buy: keyboard, extension cables and maybe some thermal grizzly compound.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here is the full spec of the system I'm putting together
Nice build

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C17 3600MHz
Why not got with 32GB?

Storage: WD Blue SN550 500GB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3
500GB seems a tad meager in this day and age, unless of course this is just for your boot drive and you have additional storage for your data/programs.

Case: Phanteks P300A
Nice choice.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Nice build
Thanks, should be pretty decent.

Why not got with 32GB?

I'm debating it.

500GB seems a tad meager in this day and age, unless of course this is just for your boot drive and you have additional storage for your data/programs.

I'm very light weight on what I have on my hard drive. I only have 1-2 games installed at a time and everything else is in the cloud. I may add an additional cheaper SSD later if needed.

Nice choice.
Yea it's a good little case and will fit with the stealth black theme I go for.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Adding this here for your viewing pleasure.
6C87FFCB-E5B0-480E-8640-E1D1C2EE0B64.jpeg

Should have everything by Thursday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.