Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
So the monitor has been setup, I was very nervous because I've not had much luck in the past. I decided to stick with Dell due to their better quality control and warranty. I have to say, it's a good one. No massive issues, just some of the typical short comings of an IPS panel.

I was also concerned about going back to a lower PPI monitor. In some ways I enjoy the less smoothed fonts compared to macOS, but it depends on the font and app. Outlook for example, the text in emails just looks bad. The majority of text rendered in Chrome looks really good.

I set out to create a blacked out anti-RGB build but that has gone out the window, it's now full RGB mode :D

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
So the monitor has been setup, I was very nervous because I've not had much luck in the past. I decided to stick with Dell due to their better quality control and warranty. I have to say, it's a good one. No massive issues, just some of the typical short comings of an IPS panel.

I was also concerned about going back to a lower PPI monitor. In some ways I enjoy the less smoothed fonts compared to macOS, but it depends on the font and app. Outlook for example, the text in emails just looks bad. The majority of text rendered in Chrome looks really good.

I set out to create a blacked out anti-RGB build but that has gone out the window, it's now full RGB mode :D

Dell is my preferred vendor for monitors. They cost more but are feature-laden, are generous with ports and have flexible stands.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Dell is my preferred vendor for monitors. They cost more but are feature-laden, are generous with ports and have flexible stands.
Mine went straight on my monitor arm :p

Did some work on the build this morning, coming along well. Today the RAM and M.2 will arrive, tomorrow the CPU cooler and additional RGB fans arrive, then that's it. Everything else is already in and connected.

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I've always gone back and forth. I love the simplicity of MacOS, the GUI is gorgeous, and the fact Unix is behind it a huge bonus. But for many things, MacOS is annoying, and I find it gets in the way when I just want to get some actual work done. That's not to say you can't find programs, similar or exact for MacOS, but since the majority of the world functions on windows, many 3rd party apps I need are sadly only available for Windows.

When it comes to the hardware, I love my MacBooks, I'm typing this on a 16" but I also have my grips with it. It's pretty heavy, not really a couch surfer, and it always feels like it was designed to sit in a glass case on a shelf for show, rather than being carried around and accidentally knocked, where something like a X1 Carbon or LG Gram I wouldn't necessarily care about it it took a knock because they don't feel as fragile.

Also, I've always been a huge PC gamer, so there's that too...

At the end of the day, I do spend a significant amount of time in MacOS but I always finding myself wanting to reach for my Windows laptop. I will say though that the Apple Ecosystem is amazing, being able to text all of my immediate and distant family from my iPhone or MacBook since they are all using iPhones and Macs as well.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I've been thinking today about the mixed ecosystem which I've talked about before.

I really enjoy my iPhone and Apple Watch combination, but I'm not tied 100% into Apple world when it comes to what I use my phone for. Spotify for music (works well with my Nest home setup), Google Photos for my photos (great for sharing photos with my wife) and WhatsApp for 90% of my messaging (even my family who are all iPhone users).

My calendars that are shared with my wife are on Google, because it works well outside the walled garden. I still have a very active Gmail account, although currently most emails go to my iCloud address. However now I'm on Windows again I much prefer using Gmail web app vs iCloud, so I may move some emails over.

On Windows I use Chrome but my bookmarks and history are in sync. Password management I haven't figured out yet, Keychain just works so well on iPhone, I don't like the 3rd party password managers on iPhone. I may try a few more before I completely write it off.

My computing needs, as I've mentioned before are served best by Windows for my job. I still do prefer macOS but I think it's the hardware that for me has the least pull, unlike the iPhone and Apple Watch. My Windows machine is excellent within a mixed ecosystem and I'm slowly coming round to the fact that I will always be mixed and that actually works really well.

On my desktop I can play all the latest games and can upgrade/replace things over time as I needed. It is completely tailored to me and my usage. It offers a lot of additional utility over having a Apple computer.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Build is done, it went pretty smooth. I hadn't planned an RGB build but I do really like it.

Some evening snaps to show off the RGB!

DSCF9371.jpg

DSCF9369.jpg

DSCF9367.jpg

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
After trying to go iPad only May last year, which lasted till November when picking up a M1 Air because I missed a desktop OS and finally back to a new Windows desktop build (still using my old 1080 Ti waiting for 3000 series stock).

While I do like macOS, I prefer to have the one machine if it covers all my needs. With wanting to get back into some gaming and design with 3ds Max (was thinking of waiting for the M1 version of Maya), I took back my old desktop which wasn't being used, to only build a new system a few days later.

With the iPad/Mac I was on my way to immersing my self in the Apple ecosystem, except my main email. I use Outlook along with a 365 sub, then have my (at)mac for Apple related stuff and a Gmail for when I go back to an Android phone. Actually, I almost bought a Pixel 5 in spirt of moving back to PC, but for now I like my Apple Watch (and I think I read the ECG was a step closer to being available in Aus).

IMG_3394.jpg

Setup.jpg

Ryzen 5800X
Gigabyte B550I
32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz
1TB Samsung 980 Pro
500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
Noctua NH-U12A
2x Noctua NF-A12x25
Corsair SF750
All in a Cooler Master NR200 case

Still got my X34P monitor, CODE keyboard with clear Cherrys, got a new Glorious Model O Wireless and have their 60% keyboard with Gateron Blacks in the mail.

Audio handled by Q Acoustics BT3 and AKG K712 Pro running off a Schiit Magni. My old desktop had a sound card and with no room in the ITX, ordered a Scarlett Solo to try as a DAC along with a Procaster mic.

Last edited:

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Nice setup
Thanks and yours looks so clean! I would have gone full RGB but I had to go with the mesh side instead of the tempered glass to fit the U12A. My last build was in a monstrosity of a Corsair 900D, the original plan was a full custom loop, then got lazy with an AIO. Wanted to go air cooling this time round.

I was keen on waiting for a M1 iMac, but I do like the ability to change individual bits when needed and I’m not the target for a Mac Pro. Plus software requirement, back to Windows it is!

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
So I've swapped the Phanteks SK120 fans for the newly released Arctic BioNix P120 A-RGB fans. The reason being the Phanteks fans were too noisy at lower RPM. These newer fans are much better and they have a very cool way of daisy chaining together.

DSCF9422.jpg

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think that the colors are cool but my build is under a table and the only thing showing is the front of the box. I guess you need the build to be kind of on display to enjoy the colors.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think that the colors are cool but my build is under a table and the only thing showing is the front of the box. I guess you need the build to be kind of on display to enjoy the colors.
Thanks for posting the name of the fans. Think I'm going to order the 3 pack from Amazon. I want to replace the fans in my rig anyway for some additional bling that can be seen from outside.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Thanks for posting the name of the fans. Think I'm going to order the 3 pack from Amazon. I want to replace the fans in my rig anyway for some additional bling that can be seen from outside.
They do a triple pack with has some savings over 3 separate.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
You aren't required to change the fan. You can add an LED fan frame like this:

to your existing fan or another unit that does not have its own lighting.

I have done this a couple of times to provide a small amount of LED bling.

This allows me to choose a fan for its specific performance characteristics; I personally favor fans from Noctua; they do not make RGB fans.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
You aren't required to change the fan. You can add an LED fan frame like this:

to your existing fan or another unit that does not have its own lighting.

I have done this a couple of times to provide a small amount of LED bling.

This also allows me to choose the specific fan for its cooling characteristics; I favor Noctua fans personally. Noctua does not make RGB fans.

Interesting idea. I need to look at some pictures of what people have done to my specific case. The lighting doesn't have to be on the fans.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I generally favor indirect lighting in my computer cases so I end up using LED strips placed discreetly rather than the in-your-face approach.

A couple of my builds have been in smaller cases (mini-ITX, micro-ATX) so the standard aRGB strip lights are too long (they are generally around 16").

I have used these dumb non-programmable LED light strips:

which plug directly into a Molex connector. They are only 12" long which works with my smaller PC cases.

I have also used these LED boat navigation lights:

in small quarters. You have to be a little more resourceful to plug these into a power source.

I use no more than one fan light (always the rear exhaust fan) and never on the front of the case. That's just an aesthetic decision.

I stick my PCs under my desk anyhow, even my NZXT H1.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I received an email from WalMart that they had the 5900x in stock. I clicked on the link and they were out of stock. I checked Amazon, and Newegg and they are out. I checked Microcenter and they have the 5900x and 5950x in stock. So there is hope. I'll check Best Buy next. I don't think that I can go into MA to buy one due to COVID restrictions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a RTX 2060, and so far I've been pretty pleased with the performance, I've largely stopped playing Cyberpunk, but I was getting decent frame rates with the details up high but with ray tracing off. I could play it with ray tracing on but i wasn't sure it was worth the performance hit.

So far my games tend to be less demanding, and its hard for me to justify spending a premium on something i'll probably not really see much difference. Maybe once inventories come back to pre-covid days, I may think about it

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
I switched out my rendering engine from Vray Next using the GPU to Radeon ProRender. My main purpose was to get back into learning 3D with this build and gaming second. As I was paying for the card I was thinking if I should have waited for a Nvidia card for CUDA, but having a quick look I think ProRender will cover me.

So that should clear up and buyers remorse.. hah.

While the value to performance with the 6900/3090 isn't good, for non gaming use I'll take the slight edge.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
Fractal Define 7 (The case is a mix of 2 Define 7s to customize the black/white) The other was used for a NAS build to backup Cx data ~6mo
AMD 5600x (temporary till my 5950x ships)
Nvidia RTX3090 FE
Asus VIII Crosshair Hero X570 Motherboard
128GB RAM
1TB 980 Pro Boot
2TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (Cache for Resolve Proxy Media)
4 500GB Samnsung 850 Evo SATA SSDs for 4K footage/steam Raid 0
6x10TB Exos HDDs Raid 10 (~30TB) for general storage with Highpoint 3720a HBA (not in pic)
Antec 1000w Platinum PSU
10GBe LAN card (not in pic)
All backed up to Backblaze and another in house solution.

I found it hard to find cases that work for my needs. With the RTX 3090 FE, it blocks 2 or 3 of the drive bays from being installed. I have one more spot up top, and could fit a few more on the PSU shroud WITHOUT the drive mount provided. One more could fit up top below the first radiator fan, but that would hurt CPU temps. I still have to add a 10GBe card, which I will side mount as to not block the GPU fan at the back.

Should be ~$400-$500/year for energy usage as it's on 24/7 to share some stuff with BMW forum members, as BMW killed newtis.info (we really need right to repair......)

2021%20build.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.