Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Florida teenager who was accused of being the "mastermind" behind a July 2020 Twitter hack that affected Apple has agreed to a plea deal that will see him spending three years in prison, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

apple_bitcoin_hack.jpg

Graham Ivan Clark, alongside others, compromised the Twitter accounts of 130 prominent companies and individuals to solicit Bitcoin, scamming people out of more than $100,000. Apple's official account was accessed, as were the accounts of Tesla CEO Elon Musk, former U.S. President Barack Obama, former Microsoft CEO Bill Gates, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, and President Joe Biden.

Clark this week will plead guilty to state charges in exchange for three years in prison and three years probation. Because Clark was just 17 at the time of the attack, he will be sentenced as a "youthful offender" and could be eligible to serve some of his time in a military-style boot camp.

Under the terms of the plea deal, Clark is not allowed to use computers without permission and supervision from law enforcement.

Twitter did an internal investigation after the breach and found that hackers targeted employees in a "phone spear phishing attack," tricking them into thinking they were speaking to other Twitter employees to gain access to Twitter's internal tools.

Mason "Chaewon" Sheppard from the UK and Nima "Rolex" Fazeli have also been charged in the attack and are facing prison time.

Article Link: Florida Teenager to Spend 3 Years in Prison for Twitter Hack That Affected Apple

Reactions: DEXTERITY

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Doesn’t make sense. It’s Twitters fault for having such weak security and blame Jack for encouraging people to believe in ***** coins and lawless libertarian fantasies.
Security status or not, I don't rightfully see how Twitter (as a company) is to blame for what happened. The individuals that broke the law are to blame.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Yeah this is overkill. I mean it’s already quite clear that the US legal system is a joke but this is a little over the top considering there are mothers out there who abused/killed their children and they got off lighter than this guy.
I don't see how 3 years is overkill. More than likely, he will only serve a fraction of the imposed sentence. He is lucky he didn't get more time.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Security status or not, I don't rightfully see how Twitter (as a company) is to blame for what happened. The individuals that broke the law are to blame.

The kid proved that Twitter admins can post in the name of any user including politicians. That’s super dangerous security issue. This kid deserves 10 medals for showing us that. He was encouraged by the culture Dorsey fosters and promotes.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Poor Kid!

Here in Germany a driver killed a 19y old girl. He was drunk, drove a car, then hit her...

Long story short, all he got was a 5000€ fine, and could even keep his driving license. Probably not much different in the US.

And a Twitter Hacker, lol - A HACKER, better call him Scammer, get 3ys.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
The kid proved that Twitter admins can post in the name of any user including politicians. That’s super dangerous security issue. This kid deserves 10 medals for showing us that. He was encouraged by the culture Dorsey fosters and promotes.
I think the punk got what he deserved. There is a right way to go about informing a company of security holes in their app. He chose to break the law for intended profit. I don't think he should be praised for anything.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
this might be the wrong takeaway but who the hell falls for a trillion-dollar corporation saying they'd double your bitcoin? i mean come on
Two possibilities come to mind:
  1. People that would consider it an injustice if they had to actually suffer the consequences of their own stupidity.
  2. People that knowingly and willingly play the victim so they can demand recompense from an unwitting multi-billion dollar corporation.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
I agree with this.
Way better than the 35 to 50 years that was being suggested.
He still being punished, but he’s not having his entire life taken away

I disagree, take it away. He began his adult life as a scammer - that’s the kind of personality that is a plague upon society. They actively prey upon the rest of us, forcing us to spend an inordinate amount of effort to protect ourselves from them. Literally everything in your life is affected and reflected in the price paid by the end user of every good and service you buy (loss prevention, cyber security, etc.). We don’t catch many of these people. Those that do need to be held accountable. Some 17 year old punk isn’t going to learn **** by the time he’s 20.

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Hah yeah it does. With the billions of tweets per day or whatever the number is, that’s a very small crack to find.
Depends, is he a script kiddy or part of an APT. Most likely a script kiddy. Not only that, he didn’t report it but decided to use it for malicious and personal gain. This creates risk for any organisation who employees him in a security role. You’ll be giving them an admin account and a known history of malicious activity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.