Flu shots: Worthwhile or a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

What's your opinion on flu shots in general? Do you get them? If so, have they worked or did you end up getting a flu anyway?

If you don't get them, why not?

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

When I can afford them next paycheck, i'll be getting one. I already had swineflu this season, and I dont need a new strain to knock me on my butt. :p

I feel as though the 30ish dollars are better than having to miss work due to sickness. I cant afford to miss work.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've had them for the past five years due to my being in an 'at risk' group – catching flu could be very damaging to my health indeed.

I've not had flu in those five years – in fact, I've only had flu once, in my early twenties. That wasn't pleasant then, it'd be even less so now.

I'm actually booked in for my injections next Wednesday, so if you could all refrain from sneezing on me until then it would be greatly appreciated.

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

6. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Never been vaccinated, had the flu twice as far back as I can remember.
    I'll be taking the H1N1 vaccine though, as all norwegians are urged to by the health dept.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ditto. I've either never had the flu, or had such a mild case that I thought it was the common cold. I'll be passing on the swine flu vaccine. I've got nothing against vaccines like some of these "vaccines cause autism!" whackjobs (see PRSI) but I'll be passing on the H1N1 vaccine.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've only had the flu twice. Once was days after getting a flu shot. It was the only time I got one. I'm not getting one.

9. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I got a flu shot for the first time ever. I've gotten the flu several times in the past and can't afford to go through it this year. But that video is disturbing.

12. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I get the seasonal flu shot every year. I got the H1N1 last week. Never have had the flu before, to my knowledge.

13. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Remember this, though, people: You're not taking a vaccine for yourself, you're taking it for the people you might infect.

14. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Exactly. You could kill someone if your infected him or her.

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yes, of course get the flu shots. People who are trying to find links between vaccines and autism/ailment X/government conspiracies are really doing an enormous disservice to the population.

Vaccines, especially for the flu, are one of the most well understood fields of medicine.

16. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Don't you still carry the virus if you get the vaccine even if you don't get sick? I have never had the flu or a flu shot so I will not be getting one especially not properly tested ones.

17. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

You get the virus, and then the virus gets knocked about by your immune system, and "dies". ("" due to viruses never actually being alive - source: my science teacher.)

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Why can't people accept that, gasp, bad things can happen after you get a vaccine that aren't related to the vaccine?

Does somehow laying the blame on a vaccine make you feel better?

Of course, this is a terrible thing that happened to this girl. But implying that it had anything to do with a vaccine is really ridiculous without any evidence. What about the myriad things that could have happened to this girl to cause it? What if it's just a genetic disorder with delayed onset (like Huntingon's)? What if she had come down with this a month, two months, a year after the vaccine? Would it still be the vaccine's fault?

19. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Sort of.

Vaccines come in two forms for the flu, nasal and injection. The injection is simply the protein coat of the virus, with no genetic material (the infectious part of the virus). Your immune system gets a free pass to see what the virus looks like, and it can make antibodies against the viruses specific surface proteins so that if you do get exposed to the live virus you will not have to wait for your body to make these antibodies. You recover in a fraction of the time.

The nasal spray is an attenuated form of the virus, but not enough to actually hurt you. Some studies show that the nasal form is a bit more effective (elicits a strong immune response in a shorter amount of time.)

Most viruses are not alive, if by alive we are saying they are capable of independent self-replication without a host cell. Some viruses can do this though.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never had a flu shot and have never had the flu. My father had swine flu earlier in the year and I was around him every day and I didn't catch it either (was hoping to get it actually so I could build up some immunity for it this winter).

21. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Sure... I totally knew that, but... erm... pretended to be stupid in order to... erm... Never mind, going to bed :(

22. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yes, this is a terrific point.

Do I think I'm going to get swine flu? Probably not. Will I still get the vaccine? Yes.

I wouldn't want to pass it on to a high risk individual (pregnant women, other types of immunodeficient people) because then that's entirely my fault. I would have directly harmed someone else because of my carelessness.

Like this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/health/20pregnant.html?_r=1&ref=health

Summary: Pregnant woman loses child, and almost her own life, because she contracted swine flu.

23. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You're not stupid...and I didn't mean make you feel that way. I just felt I could elaborate a bit more on what you said.

24. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

25. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

I know, just being "funny". Or at least I think I am. :)