FlyCast Challenges Satellite Radio with iPhone App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flycast claims that their new iPhone App called FlyCast Mobile [App Store] provides a worthy competitor to satellite radio.

The free download offers over 1000 digital channels including "all genres" of music, talk, news sports, weather and traffic in both audio and video formats. They also partner with radio broadcasters to bring live radio streams as well as on-demand video and audio from networks such as CNN, MTV, BBC and more.

A couple of unique features include:

- "StreamAhead" which allows you to continue to listen to a station during periods without a network connection
    - "Top of the Hour" which allows you to jump to the beginning of a talk radio show even if you join late
    - Included web browser so you can browse while listening

App Store Link: Free

Article Link

2. trunksu macrumors 6502

3. andrewlb3 macrumors newbie

im not at my computer, and i can't find it in my iPhone app store search or new section

4. djelliott macrumors newbie

Go to the "music" category and scroll down a little. It's there. I played around with it a bit and I really like it. I knew it was only a matter of time before they came out with something like this.

DJE

5. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I want to listen to Dr Laura lol, anyone know which channel that might be featured on?

EDIT: I had to click on the link in this article while in mobile safari to bring up the app

6. infamous macrumors member

Thanks

7. stanswx macrumors member

Anyone able to get this to run? Mine loads up a black screen for a few seconds and then goes back to the home screen. Running firmware 2.02...

EDIT: Nevermind.. Had to reboot the phone and then it worked...

8. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

thanks, i couldn't find it either. installing now

9. enklined macrumors 6502

So how is this able to be free?

Are there visual ads? In-stream audio commercials?

I'll download this and try it when I can, but I'm curious about how this could be free...

10. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

I dont get what makes this different than aol radio or pandora? I downloaded this last night and deleted it after 5min.

11. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

it's just another medium to get music/talk. i'm not a fan of aol radio, so like this better

12. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

you're right, it is better than aol radio.

13. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

If it doesn't crackle like AOL radio, I'm in! AOL's radio experience is often a little TOO realistic :eek: (Whereas Pandora is crystal clear.)

14. slidetounlock macrumors regular

Ha, everyone tries to beat Sattelite radio, fact is they can't. Sirius and XM have actually good content people WANT to listen to, this service doesnt offer the NFL or MLB exclusive dedicated channels, doesnt have Howard Ster, Opie and Anthony, or Bubba, or Breuer etc....it may be a great app, dont get me wrong, but it is not Sirius or XM....period

15. swanseastu macrumors member

swanseastu

Dont appear to be on the UK Site :-(

Have to put up with visua 'buggy' radio for now - I love Visua but its sooooooooo buggy

16. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

It is in the UK site. I've been playing with it and my only complain is that the volume seems super low, even if i pump up the iphone volume to 11 (external speaker)

17. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

So far I'm having crap as far as luck in getting it to connect to anything I want to listen to, but I can't tell whether that's the problem of the app or that the connection where I am is being flaky. Just browsing through the stations though, it doesn't look like it would be able to replace my XM as far as the stuff that I regularly listen to- but if I can get it working it would make a nice supplement to it.

18. test54 macrumors newbie

certainly will not replace satellite radio. Better content and commercial free music is hard for this app to beat.

19. dreadloquito macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

You don't see how it's different from Pandora?? Have you even used Pandora?

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

So if this doesn't play in stereo when not using a WiFi connection then it's no better than AOL radio or any other service. Has anyone tried this using edge or 3G?

21. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Isn't AOL radio exclusively tied to CBS for stations? I do use AOL radio and enjoy the app, but if this opens up other networks or content I'm all for it.

22. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

on the phone load this page and click on the app link, its there.

23. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

anyone else getting this?

Attached Files:

24. slidetounlock macrumors regular

Wasnt Flytunes supposed to rival Sattelite Radio too? Oh yeah Pandora too, look at those millions of listeners...:p

25. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

and this? on my wifi so what would the problem be?

Attached Files: