Folders = :) but Multitasking = :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JASApplications, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Hey,

I remember a few months ago there was a big hype for when iOS4 came out as there was going to be Folders and Multitasking. I use Folders a lot and in my opinion it has been a great addition in iOS4. However I don't think I have ever actually used multitasking!

How many people actually use Multitasking?

James

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm sure you're using it without even knowing it. You don't have to use that multitasking tray at all in order to benefit from multitasking.

3. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry. I didn't make myself clear. I meant who uses the Multitasking tray thing?

4. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I use multitasking every single time I pick up the phone.

Listening to music while browsing

Streaming tv and switching to browse during commercials

Streaming audio while in the car with turn by turn navigation going

Keeping Skype on to receive calls when my gf is on holiday

Switching to mail when in any applications

Keeping different games open in the background to go back to them

Switching between Notes and Calculator to add up budgets

There are endless uses for multitasking. I would argue that if you haven't used it, you're not using the phone to its full potential or just have limited use for multitasking regardless.

5. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I should add that I did use the stock app switcher for a bit, but Multifl0w on Cydia takes it to a whole new level. Double click brings up a full screen layout of all backgrounded applications.

6. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

For closing the apps in multitasking tray or when there's a folder open in the homescreen.

7. zephxiii macrumors 6502

I use multitasking and the quick switch tray all the time.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I use the multitasking tray a lot for icon short cuts. I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me.

Being jailbroken, I find it easier to just use SBsettings to kill any apps.

9. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I use the tray almost exclusively to switch between apps.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Multitasking is more of saving your current progress, or running some apps in the background (like Pandora). It's not using two things at the same time, and it probably won't be like that for a while.

Multitasking is a somewhat misleading name, but they had to name it and keep up with the market; therefore, multitasking.

11. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

12. Raj24v macrumors member

I use it each and everytime. Couldn't do without it.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You use terminal on iOS daily? I can understand when you're installing some fancy jailbreak application, but I can't understand using it everyday. Then again I haven't had a jailbroken apple device in quite a while.

14. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

What are you talking about, Terminal? We're talking about multitasking.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Whoa whoa whoa! Way wrong thread. Sorry. :eek:

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I am literally the polar opposite. Never touched Folders but use Multitask/Fast App-Switching dozens of times a day.

17. guywoodman7 macrumors member

I find the multitask tray to be similar to Expose in OS X. When Expose was first introduced, I had to remember to use it. Now I use Expose like its 2nd nature and cannot live without it.

Same thing happened with the multitasking quick app switcher. I've been using iOS since it's first incarnation, and have lived without the quick app switcher for 3 years. But now that I trained myself to REMEMBER to use it, it has become 2nd nature and is an absolutely wonderful feature. The less I see the home screen, the happier I am.

18. JulianL macrumors 65816

I hardly ever use the switcher. The only time I use it is if I'm reading an ebook on the train or something and I want to quickly check how many stops are left or have another look at the map to remind myself where I need to go when I arrive. Then I use the task switcher to flip to Maps and then flip back to iBooks but, other than that, I use the home screen still.

- Julian

19. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1. I only see the homescreen when I launch a new app or I need to close all apps and charge for the night.

20. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I use it constantly. I have no idea how I used iOS before it.

21. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I didn't realise how much I used it until I got my iPad (pre iOS 4.2) I do use it a considerable amount so I'm glad the iPad finally has it.

22. mrochester macrumors 65816

It's funny how comments like this contrast so starkly to the 'fanboys' who said that the iPhone didn't need multitasking at all. I'm very much of the opinion that the iPhone should have had multitasking from day one and that it's a totally different beast now that it finally does have multitasking and fast app-switching.

I'm guessing that all those fanboys don't use any sort of multitasking or the fast app-switcher at all since it is not required.

23. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

There is no fanboy rulebook, official doctrine or membership card. It's entirely possible that some wanted it and some didn't. Or is it just easier to label the group that is happy with a feature "fanboys"? Guess that makes me a fanboy because I used it constantly. Of course I hate that Apple hasn't provided a way to snooze calendar alerts. So I'm not a fanboy. But I also love folders, so I guess I am a fanboy. But, but, but... I hate that you can't print from Apple's Notes app. :confused:

Perhaps you should find a stronger argument. The whole "fanboy" thing (which was quite weak to begin with) has really been played out. And it's the weakest argument out there. Try digging below the surface next time and you might discover that we're all users, we all like some features and hate others. There is value is putting aside the juvenile "fanboy" comments and actually having a meaningful discussion on the merits of various features.:rolleyes:

24. mrochester macrumors 65816

I agree, the term 'fanboy' is overused. My point was really where are all those people now who so vehemontly defended Apple for not having multitasking, and what is their opinion now?

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I have a few folders, use multitasking all the time (though it could be improved).