Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Right now, this whole thing is almost useless.
We have the tech in our devices, but in the real world it's far from usable.

In the UK, just in the last couple of weeks I've been taking notice at the checkouts in many stores and also asking checkout staff.

Many, even BIG UK stores don't even have contactless payment in the 1st place, odd, you can get 1 tiny little shop that does it, but a nationwide store does not.
And, of the ones that do, the £30 limit seems to be the norm.

So there is no way you can just go shopping with your phone on you, you still need to take your cards/cash with you also.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Article is troll bait

Yes, the title alone is quite misleading.

This is solely about wanting more online purchases.

As the Korean source article notes, "A reason why Samsung Electronics is making an online-version SamsungPay is because current SamsungPay is being used mostly at offline stores. Although SamsungPay is supporting online payments since February, percentage of online payments is lower than Samsung Electronics’ initial goal. Its percentage is not even 20% out of all payments."

The majority of any current mobile wallet usage is likely at offline stores (e.g. NFC payments).

It's actually amazing that 20% of a wallet's purchases would be made online. For a company to set a goal of even more, is an indication of how Koreans use mobile wallets, not of the thread title's "poor performance on Galaxy phones".

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
MST is a neat solution, but it's almost 10 years too late in Canada, and probably other parts of the world too. Magnetic stripe usage is practically eliminated here and you can't use it 99% of the time even if you wanted to. If they had a chip equivalent (I don't think it's even technically possible) then maybe it would be of use.

I suspect in the coming months the US will move in the same direction where chip cards will not work when swiped.

The US has been slow on the uptake for chip cards. Pretty much all credit cards still have magnetic strips even though they were all supposed to have chips as of October 2015. And a lot of debit cards don't have chips yet. And then there are the POS systems where the chip reader doesn't work or they haven't upgraded for some reason. A lot of gas stations don't even have chip readers at the pump yet.

So suffice to say that by the time chip readers are everywhere in the US, NFC probably will be too. Retailers seem to be adding both at the same time.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Samsung Pay's ubiquity relies on an obsolete technology remaining in use — which is now rapidly going away.

In Toronto, it's now rare to find a store that doesn't accept tap payments. In other words, Apple Pay is accepted pretty much everywhere now.

Meanwhile, magnetic swipes are increasingly being disabled due to security concerns and banks and credit card companies are issuing some cards entirely without a magnetic strip.

This all depends on where you live but magnetic strips and SamsungPay's "advantage" is quickly disappearing.

All true, but many merchants are putting in new terminals to be compliant with the chip reader requirements, and are not turning on/enabling the tap to pay functionality. Thereby making it difficult to use Apple Pay. It's extremely frustrating, especially when my Apple Watch will make a transaction happen in 3 seconds that would take about 25 seconds with a chip card reader.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Samsung Pay... the iOS CurrentC killer maybe?
[doublepost=1464633654][/doublepost]
It's extremely frustrating, especially when my Apple Watch will make a transaction happen in 3 seconds that would take about 25 seconds with a chip card reader.

I will be getting a new iPhone soon, as the 5 I have now doesn't support Apple Pay. So I don't really care right now, but I do see the chip "method" taking way too long, longer than swipe. When I can simply wave my phone, I will be more careful which stores I shop at and who does and doesn't accept Apple Pay.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
I'd rather take out my actual card and tap to pay.

The only thing better is Apple Pay, which is just as easy, and adds security.
So a mobile payment is actually better then a contactless card itself? Really? Don't you at least need to unlock the phone, if not that's Not exactly secure now is it. So get phone out, unlock.it, then tap to pay. Mmm. I'll just continue to get card out, tap, and I'm done.
[doublepost=1464636539][/doublepost]
Right now, this whole thing is almost useless.
We have the tech in our devices, but in the real world it's far from usable.

In the UK, just in the last couple of weeks I've been taking notice at the checkouts in many stores and also asking checkout staff.

Many, even BIG UK stores don't even have contactless payment in the 1st place, odd, you can get 1 tiny little shop that does it, but a nationwide store does not.
And, of the ones that do, the £30 limit seems to be the norm.

So there is no way you can just go shopping with your phone on you, you still need to take your cards/cash with you also.
I used android pay the other day, first time. Felt a bit silly if I'm being honest, it worked bit took a couple of seconds to register. In that time I thought it wasn't working. Contactless take a millisecond. From what I read, samsung pay will work on every single card reader in the UK, but it's not launched yet. For me the old chip and pin or the new contactless can't be beaten.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
So a mobile payment is actually better then a contactless card itself? Really? Don't you at least need to unlock the phone, if not that's Not exactly secure now is it. So get phone out, unlock.it, then tap to pay. Mmm. I'll just continue to get card out, tap, and I'm done.

That's what I said. I'd rather take out my card and tap to ou with it.

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville
I've never had to use that trick.

You're talking Apple's to oranges either way. One if the fault of the cardholder for having a worn card. The other is the fault the merchant for not making sure something works on their back end system, which happens 1000000% more with NFC readers than having to use a bag to read your magnetic stripe.

They probably aren't routinely cleaning their magnetic strip reader. They can get "dirty". Yes, the cards can get "dirty" and worn too.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Samsung Pay... the iOS CurrentC killer maybe?
[doublepost=1464633654][/doublepost]

I will be getting a new iPhone soon, as the 5 I have now doesn't support Apple Pay. So I don't really care right now, but I do see the chip "method" taking way too long, longer than swipe. When I can simply wave my phone, I will be more careful which stores I shop at and who does and doesn't accept Apple Pay.

The good news is that Tap to Pay is starting to gain a little momentum in my world. This is purely anecdotal, but I am seeing more and more evidence of it becoming more available widespread. I've been using it more and more lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.