For all the caseless iPhone 4 users out there...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ItouchMe, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

Please convince me to go caseless on the my iPhone 4, I'm really considering it right now!

2. jas1973 macrumors 6502

do you go out drinking ever? if you do and want to go caseless i suggest rubber gloves for a better grip, because it will slip out of your hands, lol

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Why do people create threads titled "Convince Me?"

if your considering it, then do it.

4. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I've always always been a caseless guy...until the iPhone 4. I went caseless for a while with the iPhone 4, until they did the free Bumper program and although I didn't like the feel of the bumper (made it feel like a walkie-talkie to me), I did like that it no longer had antenna issues and also that it was more comfortable to hold.

I just replaced with Bumper with a IvySkin Reception case and love it. From the front, you almost can't notice the case since it's clear and very thin, it almost looks like it was designed that way and I also find it a lot more comfortable than caseless since it has smooth edges now vs sharper ones. Reception actually seems to be better as well, probably because my hand is not touching the actual phone at all.

[​IMG]

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've been caseless since launch day and it's been fine.

That's about the only thing I can offer you.

6. ItouchMe thread starter macrumors regular

ItouchMe

Thanks 4 the info

7. ItouchMe thread starter macrumors regular

ItouchMe

I appreciate your response

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, I can also say that it helps to dedicate one of your pockets to the phone and nothing else. No coins, no receipts, no chewing gum...it's hard to predict what's ok and what's not so I just made a zero tolerance policy. Sure, that receipt from the grocery store probably won't hurt my phone, but once I do that I have to conisder everything else I put in there. Forget it...I just say 'no' to it all and I know I'm safe.

9. ItouchMe thread starter macrumors regular

ItouchMe

Haha... Thanks for the tip

10. Ktdhc macrumors member

I'm caseless and my phone is fine. What's the point of preserving your phone's beauty if you're never gonna take it out the case anyway? It's like putting plastic covers on your sofa.

If you worry about its resale value then that's another story, but I'm seeing people sell their scratched up 3G and 3GS on Craigslist just fine.

11. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

If you're worried about scratches, get a Invisible Shield, or one of those cases. They're awesome! And preserve the thin iPhone feel.

12. xenuprime macrumors 6502

In addition to the dedicated pocket tip, I suggest washing your pants with the pockets inside out. This will keep lint/dust to a minimum.

13. darkside flow macrumors 6502

All this cleaning stuff out of your pockets, no lint, no change, hide your keys, dedicate a pocket to your phone... sounds all a little bit crazy.

My answer:

[​IMG]

Sena Ultraslim leather case. $30 + shipping, or they may be at Apple stores by now.

Adds almost no bulk to the phone, fits easily in a pocket or bag without having to worry about what's going to rub up against it, looks and feels damn good and has velvet lining protecting the screen inside.

14. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

EDIT - ^^ beat me to it.

I tried the bumper (thanks Apple) but I just couldn't do it.

For one, I couldn't access the silent/vibrate switch because of the combination of the thickness of the bumper and my sausage fingers.

I opted to go the pouch route - the Sena ultraslim to be exact.

15. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Sooo...you have to take it out of that pouch everytime you use it? What if you only have one had free because you're carrying something in the other? Or driving?

16. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I should add that I also have a BestSkinsEver on the back and a crystal film on the front, just because I'm that OCD. Replacing both with the PowerSupport film set as soon as it arrives.

So to recap: front and back films + slim leather case = phone just as good as naked but absolutely protected.

17. darkside flow macrumors 6502

It takes half a second to remove the the phone from the case.

If your hands are full, you're probably too busy to answer the phone.

Where I come from, it's illegal to talk while you drive, as it should be everywhere.

18. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Question for you. Or any fully caseless person for that matter.

I have a zagg (crap) shield on the back of my phone. I carry around in a seidio spring clip.

What do you do as far as placing your phone down?

With the zagg I just sit it on my desk when at work. Caseless wouldn't want to do that, but I don't like keeping the phone in the spring clip all day either.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Don't forget its only $29 to replace the back for the iPhone. If you know you wont drop the phone, then sure, go for it.

The front wont scratch ... I mean it could, but an iPhone screen scratching? I've never seen that (at least with some sense of protection of the phone)

I heard the back scratches, but you can always get that replaced.

20. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

I certainly would never go caseless but wow, I can't believe you actually like that piece of crap case. The IvySkin Reception case is HORRIBLE. Check out the big thread in the accessories forum.

If you like that, I'd recommend the Incase Snap clear. Pretty much the same design but the material is a lot more solid and well made. The IvySkin case just feels cheap and flimsy. I opened it up, repackaged it back right away and returned it. Ordered the Incase Snap clear through the free case program and haven't looked back.

21. jas1973 macrumors 6502

i put mine in the spring clip with the screen facing out when i leave it on the desk, then i lay it on the back of the spring clip on the desk so i can see who is calling or texting with out removing it from the spring clip

22. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I read that long thread and Im not sure why people don't like the case, I think it works very well. I wanted the case to be as thin as possible so I expect it to feel flimsy, I suspect that a case that feels more solid does so because the material is thicker, no?

23. HXGuy macrumors 68000

To each their own I just don't see how needing two hands to initially use the phone is a good thing. And you can't have things in your other hand while not being too busy to answer the phone, like walking with a brief case or carrying something else in your hand.

And I didn't say to talk in the car...but what about just glancing at the screen to see how it calling?

24. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

been caseless since day 1

I tell ya....once you drop and break it once, you'll never do it again. I broke my 2G after 2 months of having it, it completely shattered the screen.....never once did I ever drop my 3G or now the 4.

knock on wood....

25. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Didn't say it's a "good" thing. It may not be ideal for some, but for a person who wants to remain without a case but still keep the phone in pristine conditions, it's a great option.

I keep my iPhone in a windshield mounted dock, plugged into my stereo line in, at all times. So I suppose it's not an issue for me; I can always see the screen if I need to.