For Anyone Interested in an Attempt to Get "Slide to Unlock" Back

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by matthewnud, Nov 14, 2016.

1. matthewnud macrumors newbie

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

sorry but when ur dealing with apple, 1700 is comparing the earth to the milky way galaxy.

3. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

Why not just adapt to change? And they are going to need a few million signatures if they want to get Apples attention

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

"Rest to unlock" seems to make this a moot point.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

I think they were a bit shortsighted when they implemented this. While I don’t notice it with Touch ID, I can imagine that it is annoying for users who use a passcode or who don’t lock the device at all.

I also accidentally enable the camera far too often when I just want to interact with a notification. Everywhere else (Mail, Messages), and before iOS 10, I could always swipe from the side of the screen. Now you have to slide on the notification itself rather awkwardly, because the camera swipe competes with the same gesture. The same with Control Centre.

6. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

Apple didn't think about the people working with gloves (in laboratories for example)... the new home button doesn't work whitout skin contact, now i can't access even to the password screen using gloves...

7. foxconn Suspended

The home button and fingerprint sensor works with hospital gloves on... sometimes wonky but it works

8. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

Tried with nitrile gloves and it doesn't work, maybe i need to use them more tight ._.

9. Jayson A macrumors 68000

After getting used to the new unlock method, I prefer it over sliding. Sliding to unlock is extremely awkward on larger devices such as iPhone + models and iPads.

It just seems much simpler now.

10. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The way it is now, it's not better or worse - just different. I hate when that happens.

11. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

This is cute... never going to happen but cute nonetheless.

12. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

Apple is not going to change it.

I have no password/code on my phone but sometimes the home button has double tapped in my pocket.
    My pocket is leg pocket on my works trousers.

Has not yet phoned anyone by itself but it is a possibility.
    This is maybe the only issue I see with the new unlock method

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, Apple had slide to unlock for a long time as did and still do (in one style or another) a lot of manufacturers. Some years ago people also more than likely said that Apple won't change that as it doesn't make sense to do it, yet here we are. That's not to say that Apple will go back to what it was or it would happen anytime soon, but Apple can certainly change it all again (at some point).

14. sethlution macrumors regular

While I find the change annoying at first, I think Apple will be adamant about this considering every new devices are equipped with Touch ID.

15. teddybearstand macrumors regular

teddybearstand

Raise to wake + touch ID to "unlock" the lockscreen pretty much makes it feel like I don't even have a passcode. The occasions where I just want to jump into my phone, I just wake the phone with the homebutton and it unlocks like normal with touch ID.

Of course, for me, most of the time I only unlock my phone when I have pending notifications.

But I can see how this is annoying for those without touch ID (or the slow touch ID with 6 and below) or raise to wake.

16. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

You use your iPhone in a laboratory where you are supposed to use gloves.. why even care about gloves if you're gonna take contamination from your phone in to the lab?

You can probably use your nose to press the home button, adding some germs at the same time!

17. matthewnud thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I understand that this obviously is pretty stupid. Though, to add to
    Maybe they could just make it a choice or something. It isn't an impossible feature to add (though it's impossible to get Apple to change it).

18. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I don't necessarily mind having to press a button to unlock. But what I DO mind is pressing the (fully functional) home button on my iPhone 5 three to five clicks until it finally unlocks my phone. It's ridiculously annoying. May just be the old, buggy phone. Does anyone else have the same issue?

19. WiiDsmKR69 macrumors regular

WiiDsmKR69

My opinion is that Apple are just transitioning to the iPhone 8.

Think about it..

Touch ID beneath a force touch screen.
    Press once to wake phone and keep pressing ( force touch ) to unlock.

One action to unlock, but also one action to just wake the phone and check the lock screen

20. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

I believe you gave that opinion being a scientific or a laboratorist no?

Well, in case you didn't know, in laboratories you have different things to do, some of them need sterile or aseptic treatment, some of them don't but working with gloves is a must, even if you use your phone to do some calculations...

So please, don't even try to argue when you don't know anything about biosecurity rules on lab's...

Anyway, a workaround to unlock it without using the touch ID, in case of using gloves for example, just swipe to the widgets screen, touch to open one, access to the code, then hard press on the left side and touch the home screen... it's a mess but it works! xd

21. white4s macrumors 65816

22. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

I was a bit sarcastic.