For anyone on the fence about going from 4 to 4s do it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nippyjun, Oct 16, 2011.

1. nippyjun macrumors 65816

The speed difference is considerable. Everything is smooth and quick.

Picture taking is much better. You can take the picture much faster and successive photos are even faster.

The entire user experience is much better.

2. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

Hey, have you really found it that much difference? Coming from the 4 I have to be honest to me the speed difference isn't that noticeable. Yes I can see a slight difference, maybe I was hoping for too much.

Also how have you found your battery life? Mine seems to be draining very quickly. With all gps etc turned off.......having said that I think it may be an iOS 5 thing as I've noticed a difference in my iPad also draining faster than usual.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

No thanks, I'll pass.

If this thread was called "For anyone on the fence about going from 3G(s) to 4S do it!". Then I'd agree.

4. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

The speed difference is quite noticeable for me.

Not that the 4 is slow but everything loads and opens up faster.

It's a much more fluid experience.

I've seen some of the videos that show side by side comparisons and you can see the difference.

5. 2IS macrumors 68030

I've played around with a few friends 4s, the difference is not all that much for a good 80-90% of tasks, even they'll admit it.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm with this guy.

7. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

I had gone from the 3GS to the 4 and that was a bigger upgrade due to the retina display and was faster too.

For this update the speed it the big difference as well as Siri and the camera is much better.

8. monaarts macrumors 65816

I went from the 4 to the 4S and I agree with the OP. It is much 'snappier'. When I click messages there is no loading - its just there. In regards to battery life, my batter is fine. Then again, I let it die before I recharged it. Maybe you guys who are having battery life issues need to look up the proper way to 'train' a battery.

- Joe

9. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone 4S is on fire compared to the iPhone 4. It's so fast! Everything is fluid and responsive. It feels as though this is the way iOS is supposed to be experienced.

10. Jasonx82 macrumors member

Internet feels a lot faster over AT&T netwOrk

11. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe I had a slow 4. But check out the side by side video comparisons and it seems like everything happens faster.

May I'm inpatient too! Or too inpatient.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

all the speed tests tell me the 4s is faster..........by just a little bit

ill save my hundreds of dollars thank ya

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The iPhone 4S is so fluid. I forget that I'm using a phone and not an extension of my brain or hand, especially with Siri. I'm actually using that a lot more than I thought I would.

The iPhone and iPad are odd products to own together. When the iPhone 4 came out, it made me fall out of love with my iPad(because of retina display). When the iPad 2 came out, it made me fall out of love with my iPhone 4(speed+decreased weight). Now the iPhone 4S is out, and I haven't touched my iPad. Reader and Siri are really great features for the small screen.

I would say: If you have an upgrade available, upgrade from the 4. If you don't save it for the iPhone 5.

14. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

As far as the battery it seems about the same.

My 4 was actually draining faster prior to the ios5 update and after the update it was better. There must have been an app or process that was using the battery.

15. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The experience is much better. All of those small speed improvements add up!

16. 2IS macrumors 68030

I have seen them, and they mimic what I've seen when I've used the phones side by side. For the majority of apps the difference is negligible IMO. THere are a few things like games where the difference is a respectable one, but for the most part that isn't the case. Maybe in a few months that may change with new, more powerful apps, but today the speed differences fairly minimal for most things. Even the video's show this.

My reason for not upgrading isn't so much to save the $400 (although thats part of it), but because I have no idea when the iPhone 5 is going to be released and that's what I really want. I don't want to use up my upgrade eligibility for a phone that's merely a slight upgrade to what I already have and not be eligible for an upgrade when the real next gen iPhone 5 comes.

17. jbouklas macrumors regular

It's funny- I was on the fence from the 3G to the 3GS. I ended up going with the 3GS when it came out, and the upgrade was impressive. Even though it was only a speed boost, the user experience was greatly improved. You'd be surprised how app loading times (especially camera) impact your willingness to use your phone.

I've have an EVO for the last year, and it was pretty terrible. Not as slick or quick as an iPhone, and 3rd party apps are buggy. It made me want to use apps much less often, and so my phone is basically a comic viewer, RSS reader, and phone. I'm looking forward to a faster and smoother experience with the 4S.

18. james92se macrumors 6502a

I'll be honest in that the speed difference isn't that noticeable to me either coming from a 4. Hell, I can't even say definitively that the 4S *is* faster in operation even though I know it *is* faster.

One thing I've found is that the claimed lightning fast camera operation isn't as advertised.. and I don't even have my phone filled up with a bunch of crap yet.

I'm consistently counting 3 seconds from the time I open the camera icon to the time I'm actually able to take pictures.

19. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I'll tell you what is faster.

Hit the back button on safari, zero page rendering. Instant load up.

20. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Are people comparing the iPhone 4 with iOS4 vs an iPhone 4S with iOS5? Since I updated to iOS5 on my i4, things are snappier and my phone has better battery life.

I've seen some of the comparison videos and yes, the 4S is faster, but not enough for me to upgrade if I was on the fence about it.

21. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

Just do it.

Coming from 3GS to 4S is night and day. I'm really pleased at how much faster and snappier the 4S is over the 3GS

22. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

My wife now has a 4S, but I can't upgrade for a subsidized price until Spring, so I'm stuck with the 4.

My advice for those in similar situations: avoid, avoid playing with the 4S! It may not seem vastly faster when you're using it, but go back to the 4 and you'll see the difference.

Dang. I love my 4, but now it feels like an antique!

23. 314631 macrumors 6502a

I agree.

I don't think the quality of the pictures is anywhere close to the hype either. I've been playing around with the camera today and I am nowhere near as blown away by the results as the reviewers who have been provided with free iPhones to produce their articles. :cool: In low light conditions, I got some very disappointing pixelated results today. Even in natural light I'd say the results are nowhere near as good as an average (and ageing) old point and shoot. I'd say the camera is okay but it does not deserve all the rave reviews that are being heaped on it.

I wouldn't upgrade from an iPhone 4 personally, unless you have so much money you don't know you could possibly spend it in your lifetime. :D

24. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Coming from a 4 to a 4S, its not worth the coin. Save your money people.

25. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

The Speed difference is nice, though it's somewhat subtle, but what to me is extremely noticeable is the smoothness. Where sometimes the iP4 would stutter or freeze, the iP4S is rock solid.

I'm also getting 2x datarates on 3g, and for the most part 1 more bar everywhere I go compared to my iPhone 4.

Camera is excellent as well.

My only real gripe so far has been battery life, though I think the location based reminders were what was killing it. I did a calibration last night, so I'm gonna give it another chance. (Yesterday when it died, it was at like 15hr standby and like 4.5hr usage which is quite bad imo, today is looking better thus far, 30min usage, 2h standby, 96%)