Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamald

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
I went from a 5 year old blackberry to my 4S, so it was definitely worth it for me. But honestly, if I had a 4, I'd probably just skip this one and get whatever comes out next year.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
3gs to 4s: do it, do it now!

4 to 4s: not so much. the 4 is quite fast, quite powerful for every iOS app now. You should not even need to stay on the fence.

It is very simple reasoning. If you are upgrade-eligible and you can flip the 4 with some profits, then why not. However, it means you extend your contract another 2 years. so, when the 5 coming out, you may not be able to upgrade to the 5. Just weigh these aspects and choose your way.

Don't get into the argument you should upgrade to 4s because it is faster. It is the fact that 4s is faster 4. Nothing to argue here. If the faster the better is your main consideration, then just buy it. don't bother to trouble your mind with hesitation. However, if your main consideration are the efficiency, usability, convenience, sufficiency, then the 4 is quite enough.

Well said!

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
The speed difference is considerable. Everything is smooth and quick.

Picture taking is much better. You can take the picture much faster and successive photos are even faster.

The entire user experience is much better.
It's not a one size fits all scenario.

I prefer my 4, my wife likes her 4S.

If Apple increases the display size, then I am a buyer.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I am a 4 owner that was going back and forth on the 4s (would have Ebayed my 4).

I'm not upgrading. I don't begrudge anybody who made the upgrade and I can afford the upgrade if I wanted it. I also love the form factor of the 4/4s so it has absolutely nothing to do with wishing that they had released the "5" with a new form factor.

I see three main reasons to upgrade; speed, camera and Siri.

The 4s definitely looks faster when viewing comparisons on Youtube. Whether that is a slight or monumental difference is subjective. In my opinion it is noticeable but not game changing. If watching a side by side video of the speed comparison didn't blow me away (which is going to play up the difference) I don't think I will miss the speed increase just using my 4 (which is still lightning fast compared to my old 3g and many other phones I've seen not named 4s.

Camera - I love the camera on my iPhone 4. My wife has an Evo Shift and her pictures look like crap. We have gotten some of the best pictures from my iPhone 4. It does exhibit some white balance issues indoor at times but this takes all of 3 seconds to fix using editing software. 90% of my photos come out fine without having to touch them afterwards. I'm sure the camera on the 4s will be better but the 4 is plenty good for me. I don't need my 4s to put aside my point and shoot. And for true low light pictures you really will need a DSLR or a camera with a good flash. I've seen low light pictures with the 4s and while they look better than the 4 they still don't look great. There are just some areas that phone cameras haven't gotten to yet and low light is one of them.

Siri - This is a tough one to evaluate. On the one hand it looks really cool, on the other hand it could get old. On the deciding hand it was pretty much shown today that Siri could easily run on the iPhone 4 and Apple basically withheld it for marketing reasons. I'd be really pissed if I upgraded for Siri and then it got released to the 4 in a few months. If I wanted it that bad I guess I would jailbreak (as it appears it will soon be available there) rather than upgrade solely for Sire.

Just my $.02. YMMV

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'm not doubting your happiness, or even the BT connection quality, just your volume claim. I'll pair my BT to my friends 4s next time he's around and judge for myself. I'll either eat some humble pie or confirm that this claim is BS.

Maybe volume-level matching is turned on, or more effective in the 4S? I've always found it of marginal benefit in earlier iPhones. Perhaps they got it right this time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.