Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharQuake

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
things are snappier... actually the only thing i noticed was after surfing with safari for over a half-hour straight it didn't crash once perhaps they did something with clearing memory so programs wouldn't crash nonstop

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
My 3G seems much worse. It keeps not working at all and requires a restart to load anything :( Speed is OK when it works, but it just sits there spinning doing nothing until I restart (this is with OK service). If I let it sit long enough it will say "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding." It does this on any site I try until I restart the phone. Very much annoying!

EDIT: I'd never had any sort of problem with 3G before this update, not with 2.0 or 2.0.1.

EDIT: Just found out that if I hard close safari (hold home button until it closes) this also seems to fix the problem.

profetto

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
placebo-effect.jpg

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Not really. I doubt this was the release to fix the 3G issues. I have noticed no lag in SMS. Let's see how it performs in a few days when it has been running for awhile.

b00st3d

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
New Orleans
the keyboard deffinitely comes up quicker in sms messages, but thats the only thing ive noticed...no placebo here.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
No more winterboard. But, Address book and the SMS keyboard do seem better. One problem I had a lot on 2.0 and a few times on 2.0.1 was my CommCenter would crash, signal would be lost for a few seconds, and then I would need to type in my SIM pin again. Hopefully this is fixed now, but without a baseband update, I am not so sure.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Yes!! The number of new threads related to 2.0.2 has increased significantly!

;) ;)

The keyboard seems faster when typing in this forum. Also, gps seems faster and the whole system is "snappier"(or it's all in my head).

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Actually now that I've used it for a bit the contacts lag seems longer than in 2.0.1 which basically solved the contact lag.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Backup is noticeably quicker with 2.0.2. I have not noticed anything else.

have you ever noticed backups are quicker after a backup? Did you notice you did a backup when you did the update? Install a few apps and do a backup, then let's hear how quick it is.

TJB627

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
SMS doesn't seem to lag, Contacts don't seem to lag and Location Services was instant on WIFI the one time I tried. However it did erase most of my apps from my phone. I re-downloaded the free ones from the App Store but Monkey Ball won't seem to let me download again without purchasing.

meko

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I know it doesn't fix the 3G problems. I was outside with 5 bars & 3G and it was still dropping calls. I hope this problem is resolved soon, otherwise I may have to resort using a different phone, which I don't want to do.

kane4fire

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Same old crap. Safari just crashed on me 3 times in the last 15 minutes. Everything is still laggy and no 3G at all still.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I think obviously any real fix/update for something we all want would be listed rather than bug fixes. If I remember correctly with iphone 1, the updates were similar but some listed things like 'better battery' and 'increased volume' which would make sense for apple to release identifiable positives. That would help quell many complaints among users and the media.I think anything fixing 3G connectivity issues would be proudly displayed in the new software release.

Kind of perplexing for them to release two updates so quickly and nobody can really figure out what, if anything, is fixed.

oneschance

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
ann arbor mi
good for me.
faster typing and finger swipes. finally was able to update a particular app.
haven't tried 3g or battery usage yet.

i'm happy/ we'll see tomorrow.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Went from 2.0.0 to 2.0.2 and I see absolutely nothing different. I still get 0-1 bars of 3g in the middle of LA making my calls cut out and I just tried to update an app from the iPhone app store and it bricked. Good times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.