For people who have seen Avatar

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
People act like they've never seen two similar stories before. This kind of thing goes on all the time in books, movies, and TV shows.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Disney can't sue :p The structure of a story is not intellectual property. If you look at the majority of films they all follow the same structure, romance films are the worst, they're almost all laid out the same :p

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Disney can't sue :p The structure of a story is not intellectual property. If you look at the majority of films they all follow the same structure, romance films are the worst, they're almost all laid out the same :p
Completely agree, especially about romantic films!

1) Two people come to a realisation about their lives.
2) They meet awkwardly at first but get along.
3) They fall in love.
4) 30 minutes before the end of the film one of them messes up and the other leaves.
5)The mess up then does something significantly romantic for the other that causes them to come back.
/Film

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Yeah saw that on digg. Hilarious!

I guess if you want something original read The Odyssey or Beowolf. Even Star Wars is an amalgam of previous stories.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
so obeygiant is the only one who really gets it i guess..its supose to be funny that you just change a few character names and locations and get the exact same storyline for two completly different films. But i guess the rest of you people are so hellbent on bashing me for whatever reason that you fail to see it...sad

ok and?

how does that change the fact James Cameron borrowed Disney's Pocahontas movie for Avatar?

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
so obeygiant is the only one who really gets it i guess..its supose to be funny that you just change a few character names and locations and get the exact same storyline for two completly different films. But i guess the rest of you people are so hellbent on bashing me for whatever reason that you fail to see it...sad
Ever see Ferngully? It has a logger who gets accidentally shrunk and the fairies* take him in and decide to teach him about the wonder of the rainforest. He falls in love with the fairy who's teaching him about their culture. I think there's some chief guy she's meant to marry as well.

I was really bored during Avatar, not just because the story wasn't original (I watch a lot of romcoms, and someone already posted their basic plot outline) but most generic films don't have the cheek to ramble on for 3 hours.

Actually I could write a lot about Avatar 'cause I thought it was rubbish, but I'll hold off.

* kids film :p

May 8, 2008
People act like they've never seen two similar stories before. This kind of thing goes on all the time in books, movies, and TV shows.
One done so blatantly and insultingly? No, not one movie springs to mind as being such a rip off.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
One done so blatantly and insultingly? No, not one movie springs to mind as being such a rip off.
There are only like five plots in use in Hollywood to begin with. By your logic basketball is a game where you throw a ball through metal, baseball is a game where you hit a ball with a piece of wood, and soccer is where you kick a ball into a rectangle. Anything can be simplified into these kind of terms, including movies. You think Pocahantas was the first movie about a culture being attacked by foreigners but then winning out in the end?

People should appreciate Avatar for what it is: an incredible cinema experience where most of the work was done in world-building and developing this groundbreaking technology. Plots are mostly always recycled, it doesn't make anyone cool to just realize this.

May 8, 2008
There are only like five plots in use in Hollywood to begin with. By your logic basketball is a game where you throw a ball through metal, baseball is a game where you hit a ball with a piece of wood, and soccer is where you kick a ball into a rectangle. Anything can be simplified into these kind of terms, including movies. You think Pocahantas was the first movie about a culture being attacked by foreigners but then winning out in the end?

People should appreciate Avatar for what it is: an incredible cinema experience where most of the work was done in world-building and developing this groundbreaking technology. Plots are mostly always recycled, it doesn't make anyone cool to just realize this.
I wasn't debating the notion that, according to you, only five plot/ script types are used in Hollywood. I believe the terms I used were ‘blatantly’ and ‘insulting’ therefore suggesting that I agreed with you but nonetheless found the ‘Avatar’ script to borrow or copy so in manner that was exceptionally poor when compared to other scripts/ plots of major motion pictures.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
it totally missed the part where the Avatars are created and Jake and that Science dude enter their Avatars which is a great part of the storyline and continues throughout the story. Jake seems and he thinks as if he lives two lives.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

3) They fall in love.
4) 30 minutes before the end of the film one of them messes up and the other leaves.
5)The mess up then does something significantly romantic for the other that causes them to come back.
/Film
Actually it can be boiled down future to a simple:

1. Setup - Character introduction, they meet and fall in love
2. Confrontation - They fall out of love
3. Resolution - They fall in love (again)

Most films follow the 3 act paradigm down to a tee.

JNB

macrumors 604
it totally missed the part where the Avatars are created and Jake and that Science dude enter their Avatars which is a great part of the storyline and continues throughout the story. Jake seems and he thinks as if he lives two lives.
No, that's just a plot device as a means to show off the latest motion capture technology.

That, and as a minor exposition to beg forgiveness for The Abyss' "They must have done something to us." :rolleyes:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
pretty funny...
so...can Disney file a lawsuit?
Thanks. I didn't know how it ended up until now. :) Really... I'm not being sarcastic this time.

Pocahontas was a real person.
I'm betting all that "colours of the wind" crap wasn't in the real story, though... :p

3) They fall in love.
/Film
Just like in Only You. *just* like in Only You. I love that movie. But storytelling can be even more broken down than that - there are like three main components and they fit with 99% of all the movies and books out there.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I definitely found it funny.