For people who have seen Avatar

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by squeeks, Jan 7, 2010.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

[​IMG]

pretty funny...
    so...can Disney file a lawsuit?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

People act like they've never seen two similar stories before. This kind of thing goes on all the time in books, movies, and TV shows.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Strikingly similar... then again, everything is a repost of a repost of a repost... Original ideas and content are gone or about to become extinct.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Disney can't sue :p The structure of a story is not intellectual property. If you look at the majority of films they all follow the same structure, romance films are the worst, they're almost all laid out the same :p

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Pretty funny.

Although not all that unusual I bet.

6. cube macrumors G5

7. ethical macrumors 68000

Completely agree, especially about romantic films!

1) Two people come to a realisation about their lives.
    2) They meet awkwardly at first but get along.
    3) They fall in love.
    4) 30 minutes before the end of the film one of them messes up and the other leaves.
    5)The mess up then does something significantly romantic for the other that causes them to come back.
    /Film

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah saw that on digg. Hilarious!

I guess if you want something original read The Odyssey or Beowolf. Even Star Wars is an amalgam of previous stories.

9. cube macrumors G5

10. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

so obeygiant is the only one who really gets it i guess..its supose to be funny that you just change a few character names and locations and get the exact same storyline for two completly different films. But i guess the rest of you people are so hellbent on bashing me for whatever reason that you fail to see it...sad

ok and?

how does that change the fact James Cameron borrowed Disney's Pocahontas movie for Avatar?

11. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Ever see Ferngully? It has a logger who gets accidentally shrunk and the fairies* take him in and decide to teach him about the wonder of the rainforest. He falls in love with the fairy who's teaching him about their culture. I think there's some chief guy she's meant to marry as well.

I was really bored during Avatar, not just because the story wasn't original (I watch a lot of romcoms, and someone already posted their basic plot outline) but most generic films don't have the cheek to ramble on for 3 hours.

Actually I could write a lot about Avatar 'cause I thought it was rubbish, but I'll hold off.

* kids film :p

12. 184550 Guest

One done so blatantly and insultingly? No, not one movie springs to mind as being such a rip off.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

There are only like five plots in use in Hollywood to begin with. By your logic basketball is a game where you throw a ball through metal, baseball is a game where you hit a ball with a piece of wood, and soccer is where you kick a ball into a rectangle. Anything can be simplified into these kind of terms, including movies. You think Pocahantas was the first movie about a culture being attacked by foreigners but then winning out in the end?

People should appreciate Avatar for what it is: an incredible cinema experience where most of the work was done in world-building and developing this groundbreaking technology. Plots are mostly always recycled, it doesn't make anyone cool to just realize this.

14. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

hahaha :D

15. 184550 Guest

I wasn't debating the notion that, according to you, only five plot/ script types are used in Hollywood. I believe the terms I used were ‘blatantly’ and ‘insulting’ therefore suggesting that I agreed with you but nonetheless found the ‘Avatar’ script to borrow or copy so in manner that was exceptionally poor when compared to other scripts/ plots of major motion pictures.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is funny thou! I have sent this onto some of my buddies who have seen it..... Thanks

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Pocahontas, no.

Dances with Wolves, yes.

But still a good movie.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

it totally missed the part where the Avatars are created and Jake and that Science dude enter their Avatars which is a great part of the storyline and continues throughout the story. Jake seems and he thinks as if he lives two lives.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

A pretty apt articulation of (one) major reason I've no interest in seeing Avatar.

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Actually it can be boiled down future to a simple:

1. Setup - Character introduction, they meet and fall in love
    2. Confrontation - They fall out of love
    3. Resolution - They fall in love (again)

Most films follow the 3 act paradigm down to a tee.

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

No, that's just a plot device as a means to show off the latest motion capture technology.

That, and as a minor exposition to beg forgiveness for The Abyss' "They must have done something to us." :rolleyes:

22. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

23. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

24. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Thanks. I didn't know how it ended up until now. :) Really... I'm not being sarcastic this time.

I'm betting all that "colours of the wind" crap wasn't in the real story, though... :p

Just like in Only You. *just* like in Only You. I love that movie. But storytelling can be even more broken down than that - there are like three main components and they fit with 99% of all the movies and books out there.

25. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I definitely found it funny.