For the last time, 3.0 WILL NOT BE RELEASED next monday

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Jun 4, 2009.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I'm a developer myself and just thought I'll let you guys know, the 3.0 firmware will not be released next monday. This is obvious if you have access to the developer forums, the current version of the 3.0 firmware is loaded with bugs. Not to mention that Apple usually asks developers to submit apps weeks in advance before the release.

So at this point the most likely date is when the new hardware is release so probably some time in July.

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

I generally agree with this, as a developer.

I could see Apple giving us one more Beta during WWDC, then over the next month tie things up.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Um...about the apps part...apps have had to support 3.0 for at least two weeks now if they were updated or resubmitted to the app store.

4. marra2 macrumors regular

marra2

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

It'd be cool if Apple has some more "unannounced" features in 3.0 that they're waiting for WWDC to announce before the developers get the final few betas... :D

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It will be late June at the EARLIEST, most likely mid July if the new iPhone comes out then. I expect we may see a Beta 6 next Monday for developers with bug fixes and any new features they may add, but it's insane to believe we'll see a worldwide launch of 3.0 following WWDC.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I tend to agree. I hope Beta 5 isn't the final beta. I'm sure they're going to show off video recording with the new iPhone and send out a beta 6 on Monday. Then we'll probably get a few more betas through the month and then the final version will be ready in early July. Just my thoughts.

8. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

This thread needed to be done. I feel the same as the above quote. They will unveil additional features, release a new beta the work with the developers at WWDC.

9. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

The cheerful optimist in me wants to scream, shout that you're wrong, and possibly stone you.

However, the realist in me is giving a solemn nod of agreement and adding a "+1" to your statement. :(

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Personally, I don't mind waiting for a 3.0 release if that means it won't be buggy. However, I don't really want to wait until mid-July. Late June-Early July sounds fine but mid-late July just seems like a mistake with the Pre available soon.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I wonder if Apple will avoid the craziness of last year, when they released the iPhone 2.0 OS upgrade at virtually the same time they started selling the iPhone 3G

Would be cool to spread that out a bit... Release the iPhone 3.0 OS upgrade a week before the new hardware launch...

12. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I think that crazyness was due to the release of MobileMe, when royally screwed things up.

13. Que macrumors 6502

hasn't this all been said on the thread where someone asked if it was feasible?

did it really need another thread just to answer the question? speaking as a non-developer that is ;)

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

The biggest issue, IMO, was when people upgrading their original iPhones to 2.0 were held in limbo. After the upgrade, iTunes had to "reactivate" their phone, and the activation servers were overwhelmed (between everyone doing the 2.0 upgrade and everyone else buying iPhone 3Gs and getting them activated in the stores), so sometimes it took HOURS before those upgrading their original iPhone to 2.0 could use their phones again! :eek:

MobileMe was definitely crazy too!

15. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

So wait...the 3.0 software is being released on Monday?!?

GREAT! THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!

16. actorkid macrumors 6502

i would think they would do the opposite....release the new iPhone, then put the 3.0 software out a few days afterwards

if they released the 3.0 software for current phones before they release the new phone, they run the risk of having people realize how much the software upgrade improves their phones, thus possibly stopping them from spending money and upgrading the hardware itself.

...but maybe im reading too far into it :)

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

As a developer (since everyone else is adding that to their sentences), I say that 3.0 beta 5 is fairly stable, but there are some bugs that need to be hammered out. However since it has been so long since beta 5 was released, it is possible Apple has sorted those out and will get us beta 6 during WWDC so they can wrap up testing in a week or so.

And MMS still doesn't work on AT&T, driving me crazy.

18. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Why not? I just checked the App Store and 2 of my apps are for 3.0 OS updates. Plus if you haven't noticed in iTunes it says it will check for next software update on 6/8/2009.

19. Woomy123 macrumors regular

so what that doesn't make a difference, itunes checks like every 2 weeks mine says 07/06/09

20. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Holy crap! iPhone Nano coming on 07/06/09 CONFIRMED!

21. Mengels7 macrumors regular

No he's from Europe, it's June 7th actually. This sunday. BELIEVE IT.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good, I hope they take their time and release a stable and bug free OS unlike 2.0 that sucked last year.
    I know everyone is excited about the new features but if it runs like crap then what good is it?

23. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

You've got it all wrong. My iTunes is telling me a MacBook touch is coming on 6/18/09.

24. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Diet coke just came out my nose! Thanks :p

25. Woomy123 macrumors regular

all itunes say different dates for checking for updates