Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I know. That's why I said Apple needs to pay them to do it.

Should Microsoft pay Apple to get Airplay, iTunes, and other parts of Apple's ecosystem on Windows Mobile? There's a reason neither company gives away their crown jewels. At any price.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm not expecting a lot, but I hope they surprise us and give a lot more than we asked for - like iOS 5.

iOS 5 had hundreds of amazing features. iOS 6 just tweaked the OS a bit (that's how it feels to me).

iOS 7 needs to add 'something' fresh to the OS. I dont know what that 'something' might be, but it needs to be good.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple just needs to "pay" Microsoft to develop (for real) an iOS version of Office. That will sell more iOS enabled devices than any silly-assed UI change.

Unless they also allow a more flexible way of synching those documents (like icloud for office), I don't see how it would work. You still face the problem of exporting saved documents (currently a tedious email to self + save attachment in dropbox).

Office for mac isn't that stellar anyways. Update iworks for mac, and I just might be ready to jump ship. :)

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
i've said it before in other threads. i highly doubt we'll see ios7 this year. not enough time...
if apple plans to release ios 7, i'd assume they'd want to make major changes to the OS, so as to give some justice to the "7".
my prediction - an ios 6.X version... maybe 6.2.
ios 7 = 2014

Probably right. iOS 7 saved for iPhone 7 in 2014 to get them back in sync :) I suspect the "new iPhone" will probaby be called iPhone 6 not 5s. Or they could follow the iPad and call it "New iPhone". haha.

However I suspect they have several versions of iOS already on the table and most likely always have new versions in the labs so iOS 7 could certainly have been in existence before Ives took over.

----------

the fact that iOS 6 exists should tell you that Apple doesn't need to blow your minds with new features to justify a version number change.

iOS 7 will come this year, and it will be previewed at WWDC, then launched in the Autumn alongside the iPhone 5S and a "surprise" feature only available on the new phone.

The UI will feature a few small changes, but will be 98% the same. There will also be lots of changes and additions, with about 5 of them being flagship features. A few people will get angry that Apple again didn't add widgets. Perhaps they will move to Android this time if iOS 8 too lacks widgets. Perhaps.

So the 5s stands for iPhone5_"Surprise". Nice. Since 4s was for Siri they cant use that one again. Surprise, its not an iPhone 6!

03hdfatboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
I've had iPhones for the past 5 years, IOS is getting stale it needs a major overhaul.
My son has a new android phone and I kinda like the UI. Not sayin I'd jump ship but do like it.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I exchange documents in both the corporate and academic worlds, and I don't use Office. Jus' sayin'.

Granted, I don't use iWork either, but still. :p
Throw some VB, macros and charts into one of those Office wannabes. Then send it to your boss. :)

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
As many other tech sites have pointed out, the logo for WWDC2013 looks like a hint at what's coming up for iOS. The logo is very different from usual Apple design. Very Ive-like, perhaps?

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010

Luuthian

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
I'm actually surprised how few leaks we've had for iOS 7. By this point you'd normally hear something, anything related to what's going on. So far all we've heard is that Ive is working on iOS 7 and it looks simpler... That's it.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm actually surprised how few leaks we've had for iOS 7. By this point you'd normally hear something, anything related to what's going on. So far all we've heard is that Ive is working on iOS 7 and it looks simpler... That's it.

That's because all the info is in Apple HQ. It's not like the manufactures in China where Apple has little control of who sees the components. And I'm pretty sure no Apple employee wants to risk their job just to leak out early info of iOS 7.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
No, but I believe it takes a lot of work to change it to something that doesn't suck.

Exactly. As Ive (quite appropriate for this thread, I must add) once said: "It's very easy to be different, but very difficult to be better."

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That's because all the info is in Apple HQ. It's not like the manufactures in China where Apple has little control of who sees the components. And I'm pretty sure no Apple employee wants to risk their job just to leak out early info of iOS 7.

Have we has software leaks in the past? I wouldn't mind Apple doing some careful leaking to friendly media/bloggers. Not screen shots but something to generate some excitement.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Have we has software leaks in the past? I wouldn't mind Apple doing some careful leaking to friendly media/bloggers. Not screen shots but something to generate some excitement.

I'd think they did -- the whole flatter, "this will make many people happy, but those who like the linen will be disappointed" thing.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
So....like Notification Center?

I cannot see the notification center on my home screen. I don't see a notification alert on my home screen. That's what I liked about blackberry. I don't care or the notification center. Probably one of the reasons I haven't adopted android fully.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
So....like Notification Center?

No.

Notification Center is completely broken right now.

Say you get a notification about an email or game center invite on your iPhone and iPad. You use notification center on your iPhone and now the notifications are gone but they're still on your iPad.

For unified Notification Center I want to see syncing.

It should be smart enough to know once you view a notification on one device, it is deleted on the rest of your devices. Or else it just adds up and every device has different notifications never in sync. Keeping them unified is a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.