Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
No.

Notification Center is completely broken right now.

Say you get a notification about an email or game center invite on your iPhone and iPad. You use notification center on your iPhone and now the notifications are gone but they're still on your iPad.

For unified Notification Center I want to see syncing.

It should be smart enough to know once you view a notification on one device, it is deleted on the rest of your devices. Or else it just adds up and every device has different notifications never in sync. Keeping them unified is a good thing.

Well said.. Due to the way notifications work, they are sent to a unique device so this is not currently possible. What might be better would be sending notifications to a specific iCloud user, and Apple does the logic for working out which devices need the notification,

Would also make an iWatch more useful if it got all your notifications ;)

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Hi all, maybe I'm missing the point here but I'm almost certain we will see a different look in iOS 7. I have two points. My first is that (as the title mentions) Ive is now in charge of iOS and I feel he will change how iOS looks. My second point is what Phil Schiller said when Apple announced WWDC. He mentioned "I can't wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into their hands at WWDC."

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Hi all, maybe I'm missing the point here but I'm almost certain we will see a different look in iOS 7. I have two points. My first is that (as the title mentions) Ive is now in charge of iOS and I feel he will change how iOS looks. My second point is what Phil Schiller said when Apple announced WWDC. He mentioned "I can't wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into their hands at WWDC."
No offense, but those aren't points. The first is just your opinion, and the second doesn't imply that there is a UI change. I do agree that there will likely be some UI changes, the extent of which is unknown, but we don't have real solid evidence so far.

AdamC93

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Well it will make sense for Apple to do something big with iOS 7. They need to realize that Android is right now catching up to them, and with Android 5.0 coming this year it could deliver the fatal blow to iOS. If Apple doesnt do anything, Android will win and a lot of people will end up leaving their iPhones for something newer and, dare I say, better.

Android catching up to iOS is a load of bull, at worst they're on an even split. As past keynotes have suggested, Apple have great figures for their OS - not to mention being able to realise that although Android tablets outship the iPad, no one uses their Android tablet.

As with the Mac, Apple know that as a company who creates premium products not everyone will be able to afford something of theirs (even if the prices are great when you consider how good the products actually are in comparison).

Apple will not (in my opinion) create features in iOS 7 just to be neck and neck with Android, instead, they will add features which are right for the user and meet requirements of security, design and usability.

----------

Widgets and themes are a cheap way to 'attract' android users, and a dangerous way to repel current iOS users.

Apple (quite rightly) love ubiquitous design. It not only makes their products immediately recognisable, but as easy to use no matter who's device you are using.

Take iOS for example, when it was shipped with iPhone it was great and everyone loved it. Because of its simplicity and great design, it was easy to push over to iPad, and as Steve said "people immediately know how to use the iPad" because of the millions of people who had bought and used iPhones and iPod Touches.

Even before the iPod, Apple's key features in its products is for people to be able to use it - no matter they're situation.

This is why widgets are a big no, with an iPhone or an iPad, they have great apps, but are the merging of widgets and Mac apps.

Due to hardware and screen size constraints (not to mention the ratio between 'finger size' and cursor size) iOS does not need widgets, just use the apps it ships with or the over hundreds of thousand on the App Store.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Android catching up to iOS is a load of bull, at worst they're on an even split. As past keynotes have suggested, Apple have great figures for their OS - not to mention being able to realise that although Android tablets outship the iPad, no one uses their Android tablet.

As with the Mac, Apple know that as a company who creates premium products not everyone will be able to afford something of theirs (even if the prices are great when you consider how good the products actually are in comparison).

Apple will not (in my opinion) create features in iOS 7 just to be neck and neck with Android, instead, they will add features which are right for the user and meet requirements of security, design and usability.

----------

Widgets and themes are a cheap way to 'attract' android users, and a dangerous way to repel current iOS users.

Apple (quite rightly) love ubiquitous design. It not only makes their products immediately recognisable, but as easy to use no matter who's device you are using.

Take iOS for example, when it was shipped with iPhone it was great and everyone loved it. Because of its simplicity and great design, it was easy to push over to iPad, and as Steve said "people immediately know how to use the iPad" because of the millions of people who had bought and used iPhones and iPod Touches.

Even before the iPod, Apple's key features in its products is for people to be able to use it - no matter they're situation.

This is why widgets are a big no, with an iPhone or an iPad, they have great apps, but are the merging of widgets and Mac apps.

Due to hardware and screen size constraints (not to mention the ratio between 'finger size' and cursor size) iOS does not need widgets, just use the apps it ships with or the over hundreds of thousand on the App Store.

There are some really complex iOS apps that do amazing things and have a huge learning curve yet we don't want to complicate the OS with widgets because it's too hard to learn?

It's not 2007 anymore and we're not all 5 years old. We're ready for a more feature rich iOS. I'm not ready to replace my laptop until iOS does some basic things first.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Article: http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-ios-7-wont-be-a-major-overhaul-2013-3

It seems that a lot of people on here expect iOS 7 to be fresh and new due to Forstall's ouster and Ive's inclusion as part of the iOS team, but as the article linked above states, not much can be done in 6 months of product development.

I don't really consider businessinsider to be a source with any real clue about what can and can't be done in 6 months. Especially since many of the changes in iOS 7 may have started work well before Ive and his new title of God of UI design came into play.

----------

Not expecting much.

Also tons of other Apple experts like John Gruber have said that based on experience, there's no way for Apple to completely change iOS within 6 months.

1. When have they ever completely changed iOS.

2. Who says they are trying to.

This will be yet another incremental change with perhaps 2-3 new features just like always and will be panned as such by the freaks and geeks that want it to be full of the same crap they put on via jailbreak tweaks. Just like Apple was likely always planning.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've been saying this for a while now. Jony can't step into a second department and release a new OS months later. Any significant changes would have already been planned.

Folks seem to be confused about what Jony's role is. He's UI design. NOT actual software engineering. In other words, not what features there are but how they look.

So as you say, any major changes started ages ago. Work on iOS 7 probably started when iOS 4 was released, iOS 5 for sure. Jony's just going on and doing things like having them yank the paper tear, the cute but pointless shadows, move a few buttons around etc. That's easy to do in six months

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Folks seem to be confused about what Jony's role is. He's UI design. NOT actual software engineering. In other words, not what features there are but how they look.

So as you say, any major changes started ages ago. Work on iOS 7 probably started when iOS 4 was released, iOS 5 for sure. Jony's just going on and doing things like having them yank the paper tear, the cute but pointless shadows, move a few buttons around etc. That's easy to do in six months
How do you know exactly what his role is? You make it sound purely cosmetic. According to the Bloomberg piece:

Ive, 46, has begun revamping iPhone and iPad applications, shunning realistic images, such as wood bookshelves for the Newsstand feature, and he’s exploring more dramatic changes to the e-mail and calendar tools, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are private.

Longer term, Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands -- without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions

Ive’s expanded role was on display in March when he led a more than two-hour town-hall meeting at the De Anza 3 auditorium in Cupertino. Cook sat listening as Ive spoke at length about the shifts under way, said two people familiar with the gathering.

None of this indicates he's in charge of just cosmetic changes. I don't think he'd need to hold a 2 hour + town hall (with Cook in attendance) to discuss how he's going to remove the faux leather and stiching from iCal and find my friends.

Look at Apple's human interface guidelines for developers. It's not just about how something looks, but how people use it.
https://developer.apple.com/library...tual/MobileHIG/Introduction/Introduction.html

Also I think it's a bit ridiculous to suggest changing the design language of an operating system is easy to do in 6 months. Yeah maybe it is if you rush it and don't do it right. Or think its only about getting rid of faux leather and felt in an app.

AdamC93

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
I'm not ready to replace my laptop until iOS does some basic things first.

It's not about replacing laptops with iOS devices, they are meant to compliment each other, hence why the iPad (as said by Tim Cook) was created by leaving certain things about the laptop behind. Something most other people cant seem to do (i.e. Windows 8 and these terrible new tablet/laptop hybrids that fold or fit together)

Although I think people will prefer to buy tablets over laptops for various reasons, laptops are primarily a way of creating content as oppose to the consumption of content on tablets.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
It's not about replacing laptops with iOS devices, they are meant to compliment each other, hence why the iPad (as said by Tim Cook) was created by leaving certain things about the laptop behind. Something most other people cant seem to do (i.e. Windows 8 and these terrible new tablet/laptop hybrids that fold or fit together)

Although I think people will prefer to buy tablets over laptops for various reasons, laptops are primarily a way of creating content as oppose to the consumption of content on tablets.

I'm not talking about getting rid of my laptop completely. I do create content and I need a laptop. However, I end up having to take my laptop when I travel along with the iPad to do some simple tasks like replying to emails with an attachment.

AdamC93

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
I'm not talking about getting rid of my laptop completely. I do create content and I need a laptop. However, I end up having to take my laptop when I travel along with the iPad to do some simple tasks like replying to emails with an attachment.

I don't know why that's not working for you, it does for me.

Also, the editing of any popular document, PDF, Office (and arguably better as the article points out) iWork documents can be edited, along with great apps like TouchDraw which I use. Not to mention basic image editing like that in Photoshop and Apple's own iLife, iPhoto, Garageband and iMovie on iOS.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I don't know why that's not working for you, it does for me.

Also, the editing of any popular document, PDF, Office (and arguably better as the article points out) iWork documents can be edited, along with great apps like TouchDraw which I use. Not to mention basic image editing like that in Photoshop and Apple's own iLife, iPhoto, Garageband and iMovie on iOS.

Maybe I'm missing something. How do you reply to an email with an attachment?
My company uses Excel and PowerPoint and half the time, I lose something in the transition.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Why are people so obsessed with widgets? And if Apple adds them to iOS everyone will say they're so out of ideas they're reduced to ripping off Android.

Huh, OS X had widgets in 2005 a full 3 years before Androids initial release.
Maybe Android ripped off OS X? LOL.

Good for you enjoy your S4. I had widgets on an HTC phone and they were such a battery drain. AT&T told me to disable them. I can see why some people would like widgets but I'd love to see Apple come up with something no one is thinking of, not just copy widgets from Android and flat design UI from Microsoft.

I would like to see them implement widgets like OS X style either in the "search" app panel, notification center, or a new "dashboard". What I mean by that is that the widgets only operate when you activate the search panel, notification center, or "dashboard" like OS X dashboard instead of being always active.

Just a "mini app" built on top of the OS that runs mini JS applications. Hell, they could run the APIs across iOS and OS X and rejuvenate the Dashboard widget market on the desktop as well. THAT would be awesome!

--------------

There are small things that need major changes as well. When you click on "Legal" on maps it takes you to Safari and loads a webpage when in reality those things should be handled in a 'Dictionaryesque" popup form a local file.

----------

No but they released an unfinished product. They could have at least extended their contract with google for another year or 2 and then cut them out.

Also from what i understand they still had a year to go, and decided to end the relationship early.

Google released an "unfinished product" when they initially launched Android and look at it now.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Anyone else find it highly ironic that Apple is moving to to a "flat" GUI design after their obsession with thinness?

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Anyone else find it highly ironic that Apple is moving to to a "flat" GUI design after their obsession with thinness?

Well it coincides well with their obsession with thinness. But at the same time this 'flat' UI design is sort of the current/emerging trend at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.