For those frustrated by disabling of NFC at POS...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Oct 25, 2014.

1. tl01, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

tl01 macrumors 65816

If you are frustrated, have you written to tell the merchant or do you plan to do so?

Just curious how many people do something vs just remain frustrated.

If you did speak up, which merchants did you contact?

So far I have written to Best Buy (surprisingly they wrote back almost immediately, Rite Aid, and CVS.

Added an interesting article on page 2...

2. wxman2003 Suspended

No. It doesn't matter. The banks run the country. Until the banks demand NFC, nothing will change. They give short and long term credit to the merchants. They give out credit and loans to the consumer. They will decide how secure the system will be. Not Apple. Not you or me. Not the stores.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What did Best Buy say? My wife is manager there and they won't even give her a straight answer.

4. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

... Sorry I was quoting the first person to respond but it didn't show up....
    ----
    That wasn't really the question.

But okay... What if Google Play and the App Store don't mske the MXC app available for download?

----------

I wrote them around 9:50 pm my time and they wrote back before 10:20 pm.
    ---------

Thank you for contacting Best Buy.

I apologize for the inconvenience. I understand you wanted to widen your payment methods for your purchases. I'll be glad to take note of your concern.

It is true that Best Buy doesn't support Apple Pay or Google Wallet as of this moment. However, we are making that possible in the near future. Please note that Best Buy will have its mobile pay solution in the next 12 months. We will continue to evaluate and consider Apple Pay, as well as other platforms, as an option. Thank you for reaching out to us taking the time to share your perspective. We always appreciate hearing from our customers about the things that are important to them

5. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

I predict in 6 months this whole 'merchant exchange' wannabe ApplePay will flop and these same stores will be running back to ApplePay.

6. wxman2003 Suspended

It still won't matter. New chip and pin credit cards will be issued to most consumers in 2015. People will think they are safe and will continue to use credit cards for years. As long as banks cover their losses, consumers will not care about NFC, MXC or any other electronic NFC purchasing. It won't happen. There will not be a demand by the public. The stores know it, the banks know it. NFC will have no impact for years to come, and by then will be outdated.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Wow that's awesome. They haven't even informed people at management level of this. The region even just had a "retreat" (not what they called it but all GMs had three days of meeting in Vegas) and they didn't even touch on the subject. Here's to hoping. :)

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

They didn't touch the subject because nobody cares about it. This forum doesn't represent the average customer.

9. 617aircav Suspended

True.

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Agreed.

And support those who use apple pay. Instead of cvs, go to Walgreen. And use target for your big box retailer needs.

11. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

This... It's not like cvs is well off anyways

12. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Target is MCX, not ApplePay.

ApplePay in app, not in store.

14. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

It sounds like all of these companies are ditching Apple Pay and Google Wallet in favor of their own initiatives. Sadly, they will all flop. It's like when Google Wallet was being disabled from phones because the US carriers were working on their own mobile payment system "ISIS" or whatever they're calling it these days. It sounds like this is being done out of greed really. Everybody wants a peace of the pie, they're not after a better solution or our best interests. However I've had NFC on all of my Android phones since the GS3 and haven't used Google Wallet once. Even if I could, it's just as easy to pay by credit. I don't HAVE to pay by Apple Pay or Google Wallet just because it's an option like some people. Apple Pay users seem more hellbent over this than Google Wallet users, just saying.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

CVS is well off, they are a major drug store chain. I don't understand the move, but it will have a negligible affect on their bottom line, probably not even noticeable.

16. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

cvs sucks where i live. they are small and tiny and mediocre products. sure they are a pharmacy chain but i never go there unless i have to.. i go to giants, so much better and bigger.

i wish that stupid currentc fails and they will come begging for apple to get them back.

17. shook187 macrumors member

It's quite comical seeing all you guys get bent out of shape over something that really doesn't have any benefit to us.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're the biggest, as noted by this link. I've also had very good service from them.

Link: http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/CVS_Caremark_Corporation_(CVS)

19. joneill55 macrumors 6502

But the times are a changing and change they will.

"Your old road is
    Rapidly agin'
    Please get out of the new one
    If you can't lend your hand
    For the times they are a-changin'."

-Bob Dylan

20. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

Contacted CVS and Rite Aid

I normally don't shop at CVS anyway because they're prices tend to be sky high compared to competing stores, I usually go to Walgreens instead. This just makes the decision to continue not shopping there an even easier one.

22. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I would take any letter from any retailer one month from Black Friday, with a grain of salt.

----------

It's not comical to me considering my bank account has been compromised 3 times in 3 years.

I've also had to completely close and reopen a new checking account because of fraud.

I'm ALL for more secure payment methods versus using my actual bank and CC cards.

No benefits? Laughable.

23. TJone macrumors 6502a

I wish there was a Walgreens or Duane Reade nearby but there is not. I will just shop at small pharmacies instead which is probably better anyways.

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

Agreed. Some people seem out of touch with how widespread fraud is. I had someone attempt a $2400 transaction on my Amex last year for a purchase of music equipment at some local store. Fortunately they blocked the transaction and called me immediately but if that had been my debit card, things could've been a lot more painful. With Apple Pay these merchants never even get to see your data.

25. jwill99 macrumors member

I was told by my bank, the other day, that next year (I don't remember the exact date) the retailers will become responsible for the losses and not the banks. I was talking to the fraud department having my card that I had used at Home Depot, replaced.