For those of us who wont be home for our delivery on Friday...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GonzagaDynasty, Sep 15, 2014.

1. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular

Will there be a signature required? Nobody will be home at my house on Friday, as I work 8-5....The only time I've ever done a pre-order, I picked the phone up at BB on launch day.

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Signature is always required for iPhone deliveries. You *might* be able to sign a release waiver, but I'm not 100% sure.

3. drogba macrumors member

Usually it will say on your shipping information. Can you check that and see if it's coming via FedEx or UPS? Whichever it says, it should say whether or not it REQUIRES a delivery. If it doesn't say, it's safe to assume that you probably don't have to sign. In that event, hope that they leave it somewhere safe.

4. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Indirect signature for FEDEX. Leave a signed note.

5. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

I just said this in another thread so here goes again.

You ABSOLUTELY CAN call UPS and have them hold it at the delivery hub (basically not put it on the truck-its called a "UPS Customer Service Center") and you can pick it up early that morning.

That way, you get it super early and before anyone else and you don't have to pace around all day or miss delivery attempts. Just bring your ID.

Most cities have delivery hubs all over the place. Mine is 15min away from my apt. Do you really want to leave your new phone sitting outside your door all day? I wouldnt.

6. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

The release form is on Apple's website. Once the phone ships, see your order for a link to the form to print out, fill out, and tape to your door.

Used it several times in the past. YMMV in your neighborhood, of course!

7. GonzagaDynasty thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't received any shipping information yet. Ordered from AT&T before midnight on 9/11... But Hoping to see some info soon.

Stupid thing is, both UPS and Fed Ex deliver daily to my work, usually before 10 AM. But unfortunately they wouldn't let me change my ship to address when I pre ordered the phone.

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Great information in this thread. Had I known that I would have done shipping instead of store pickup.

9. Kidd Taco macrumors newbie

Use the pre-sign from, you can get it from your shipment confirmation email. You can have them leave it in a certain spot, even at a neighbors house that works for you.

----------

I believe you can call UPS and have them deliver to your work instead of your house.

10. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

If I held mine at a UPS center, would there be a chance that I'd be able to pick it up Thursday evening? That'd be sweet

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can only do this if they've done a delivery attempt unless you pay for their premium service.

12. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

If the employee is ignorant/cool enough. The package will explicitly state to be held until 09/19. AKA doubtful.

13. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

Uhhh. I hate to disagree, but they have absolutely done this for me on the original delivery day. Maybe they bent a rule or something I dont know but its worth a shot. I'm definitely not paying for any premium service either.

To set this up, call UPS with your tracking number. Request they hold it at the hub and ask for the hubs address. Then ask for hours and show up with your ID. As for getting it the night before, its unlikey they even have it before 4 or 5am so not really likely.

14. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

I took friday off of work and I am just going to camp on my porch with some snacks

15. GonzagaDynasty thread starter macrumors regular

lol, sounds awesome.

Thanks for the info guys.. seems like I might have some options. Hopefully I get the shipping information soon! I did sign up for UPS my choice, so Im hoping it's shipped UPS.

16. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

Ok. Do you know how to determine the tracking number even if its not listed? Track by reference number and enter the phone number.

17. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

As mentioned, you can pre-sign for the phone and instruct UPS to leave the phone at your front door. Just print the authorization form from Apple's site and tape it to your door. Our front door is not visible from the street, so I had no problem with doing this.

However, I can imagine thieves going door to door jotting down which houses around the neighborhood have the forms taped to their door on Friday, and then making a return visit after the UPS trucks make their deliveries. The form explicitly states that the customer assumes all risk after the driver drops off the package.

Last year was a little different because there was no pre-sale, and therefore no release date iPhone deliveries. The iPhone deliveries were more staggered. I received mine on the following Wednesday, but I read about some iPhones getting delivered as early as Monday and as late as Friday (which was still within the delivery window for people who got one of the early sales online)

18. thisdj78 macrumors 6502

Doe this refer to UPS My Choice premium?

19. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

Are the iPhones being delivered by UPS and FEDEX this year? Mine's shipping through FEDEX so I'm confused why people are talking about UPS...

20. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Depends on who you ordered from. This year is a little crazy though, Verizon is shipping some phones out via UPS which I have never seen done, they always use FedEX. At this rate DHL will be getting in on the action!

21. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have taken free on all Fridays this September, knowing that Apple would release the new iPhones..Now I just have to wait home for the courier to bring me my new iPhone 6 :)

22. zin macrumors 6502

Just remember that if you use a pre-sign waiver then you have taken all liability for any damage or theft. If it's damaged or missing when you return home then the courier will not pay for any compensation.

23. Pivoh macrumors member

Do not under any circumstances pre sign for the iphone! Last year it was really commong that iphones got stollen out of the box before they get delivered, it recently happend to me, and with a pre sign you will not be covered!

24. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

Pretty sure your credit card would cover this however if you have buyer protection.

25. jkess macrumors member

yes.

----------

my phone has already been shipped UPS. should I sign up for my choice? is this free? what does it do? does it not even matter since my phone has already been shipped?