Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Good call on the front porch...In a different location I once had to take a day off to receive a package (not an iPhone, but something urgently required, long story) and I was sitting in my home office refreshing the shipping status because, you know, that makes it arrive sooner.

Anyway, all of a sudden the status changes to Delivery Attempted, Second Attempt Tomorrow or some such. I was like WTF??!! No knocks, no doorbell, nothing, and I was home the entire time.

I called the delivery service and made quite a stink. They called the driver and made him deliver it that day. When he arrived I asked him what happened and he told me that he "swung by and didn't see anyone" so kept going (!!!!!!)

THIS. A FedEx guy who was supposed to deliver my iPhone 5 pulled this crap. I saw the delivery exception and went to the door to check for the delivery notice. Nothing. I called; they didn't care. They kept saying that I wasn't home. I had to drive to their facility during rush hour to get the phone. (When I called, they said the next delivery attempt would be the following Wednesday.) They never offered an apology and only suggested that I pre-sign for it next time. I said, "What does that matter?! NO ONE CAME TO MY DOOR!" I'm sure it's hectic for them trying to make all those deliveries on launch day, but that is no excuse for lying and terrible customer service. Par for the course for FedEx, though.

/rant

davefromca

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
Santa Barbara
Anymore info on fedex? I called and they basically said there is nothing they can do. I do have a live webcam I can leave going and presign for them to leave the phone and be home in minutes but its still a risk. However my two neighbors are both retired and always home and my street is a cul de sac.

JJkid

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Just got this from a rep online through chat.

Thank you for waiting. With the preorders, the way it goes is the manufacturer has informed us that it could be anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks to ship all the phones to us in weekly shipments. The orders are sent from TMobile in the order that they were placed. So at this time, your order is in the submitted status and we are waiting on our first shipment from the manufacturer (estimated date the 18th), when all those are shipped in the order that they were place, it will be another week before we get another shipment in. When the order does ship, you would receive an email notification. Until then, we will have no way of exactly knowing when the phones would be shipped.

AppleChic76

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Since there seems to be some misinformation in this thread, I figured I'd clarify some things. With UPS and the free MyChoice account, you can:

• Pre-approve delivery (signature waiver) and provide delivery instructions (e.g., leave at side door)
  • Ask the package be delivered to a neighbor (walking distance)
  • Change to pickup at UPS service center
  • Hold at UPS Access Point ($5 fee)
  • Select a 2-hour delivery window ($5 fee)
  • Change delivery to future date ($5 fee)
  • Change the delivery address (fee, but Apple has not allowed this option)

I have already set up the pre-approved delivery, but I will probably change it to be held at the center, as I could completely see my phone not being delivered until late that evening. UPS MyChoice is actually great in general, as you'll get shipping notifications from UPS as soon as your address hits their system.

Edit: I should mention, this is for the US.

Doesn't look like they're allowing this option for iPhone delivery.

----------

Totally worked. Thanks! Although it won't allow me to choose a 2 hr window for this shipment it'll come in handy for others. :)

davefromca

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
Santa Barbara
God I wish I could use UPS. Fedex is awful, not to say UPS is much better but fedex just sucks lol.

Anyone have a link for that apple form to leave on the door step?

Edit, or is it the Fedex form I need? I have attached a pdf I found.

Attachments

• FedEx Shipment Release Authorization (Apple Pre-Sign) - iPhone 4S.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Not if you are on their MYCHOICE program. No 1st delivery is necessary UNLESS THE SHIPPER REQUIRES IT.

I checked, and I am in the My Choice. Which is just something you sign up for, no cost.

Guys, sign up and hold at the hub. Thats my advice. I may have explained to the rep that I will never be home during delivery hours due to my work hours. That has been the case for me but regardless, they'll do it.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I checked, and I am in the My Choice. Which is just something you sign up for, no cost.

Guys, sign up and hold at the hub. Thats my advice. I may have explained to the rep that I will never be home during delivery hours due to my work hours. That has been the case for me but regardless, they'll do it.

Do you do this by clicking "Change Delivery"? I'm nervous about clicking that: afraid I'll mess up my delivery.

importraverxx

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Doesn't look like they're allowing this option for iPhone delivery.

----------

Totally worked. Thanks! Although it won't allow me to choose a 2 hr window for this shipment it'll come in handy for others. :)

Yes, you can. The earliest you can select the 2 hours window is 2 days before delivery or latest by 3AM of delivery date. So that means, you should check back maybe Wednesday or Thursday and the option should appear for you. Also there is a post on page 1 or 2 here that someone has that option available.

AppleChic76

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Yes, you can. The earliest you can select the 2 hours window is 2 days before delivery or latest by 3AM of delivery date. So that means, you should check back maybe Wednesday or Thursday and the option should appear for you. Also there is a post on page 1 or 2 here that someone has that option available.

Oh ok now I know why I didn't see that option. Thanks! This will help me not sit at home waiting all day (I'm off that day but have other things I need to do).

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Be careful with a delivery release because all UPS drivers aren't always honest. "Gee boss, I KNOW I LEFT IT IN HIS BACKYARD."

I have found that more than a few of people who drop off T-Mobile or Verizon return phones in a UPS drop box find the phones never reach their destination as well. I know this from personal experience. WRT drop-offs, never leave a package of value in a drop-box on the street or inside a store. Bring it to a place (UPS STORE for example) where you get a drop off receipt.

myphone

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
USA
God I wish I could use UPS. Fedex is awful, not to say UPS is much better but fedex just sucks lol.

Anyone have a link for that apple form to leave on the door step?

Edit, or is it the Fedex form I need? I have attached a pdf I found.

Thanks for the form.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
To confirm, if yours is coming UPS, hold at local depot before first attempt is definitely available. Mine is set to that and I will pick it up at 8:00 AM when they open. No waiting all day or missing them or issues with a release. :)

apple111115

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
To confirm, if yours is coming UPS, hold at local depot before first attempt is definitely available. Mine is set to that and I will pick it up at 8:00 AM when they open. No waiting all day or missing them or issues with a release. :)

How did you set that setting? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.