Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Uhhh. I hate to disagree, but they have absolutely done this for me on the original delivery day. Maybe they bent a rule or something...<snip>

Exactly this. They are supposed to attempt delivery first. I have also been able to get them to bend the rules, but I wouldn't advise someone else to assume that it will work.

GonzagaDynasty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
I tried to search for my phone using my phone number, and neither UPS or Fed Ex comes up with anything..

And yeah, I won't pre sign because, I was thinking to myself, that if I were a thief who knew about the apple release, I would just drive around all day looking for packages at people's doors, lol. Easy money.

Hoping I can re-route it or something, we'll see.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'll either be in Utah on vacation visiting my girlfriend or back home in Maryland when the phone is delivered. I'll use UPS My Choice to either hold the package or reschedule the delivery for my day off. I'm assuming delivery by UPS.

Pivoh

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Pretty sure your credit card would cover this however if you have buyer protection.

Hard to tell! Because you basically " signed " for the package, so it was in your possession, the credit card would probably pay if you have a theft protection which not all credit card cover I assume.

I am not an expert I am just sharing my own experience, you are welcome to discard any advice I may give:)

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Look at all the options you have:

screenshot-2014-09-15-16-18-27.png

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
I'll be in Pennsylvania on business starting tomorrow and won't be home until Saturday. I tried to bribe my best friends fiancee to "house sit" for me on Friday, but she's working. Hopefully they can hold it for me. Don't want my $900 iPhone sitting on my porch for 36 hours...

kaiguy

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
Since there seems to be some misinformation in this thread, I figured I'd clarify some things. With UPS and the free MyChoice account, you can:

• Pre-approve delivery (signature waiver) and provide delivery instructions (e.g., leave at side door)
  • Ask the package be delivered to a neighbor (walking distance)
  • Change to pickup at UPS service center
  • Hold at UPS Access Point ($5 fee)
  • Select a 2-hour delivery window ($5 fee)
  • Change delivery to future date ($5 fee)
  • Change the delivery address (fee, but Apple has not allowed this option)

I have already set up the pre-approved delivery, but I will probably change it to be held at the center, as I could completely see my phone not being delivered until late that evening. UPS MyChoice is actually great in general, as you'll get shipping notifications from UPS as soon as your address hits their system.

Edit: I should mention, this is for the US.

Last edited:

Upiter

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Does someone know what happens if I DON'T pre-sign and nobody is home at the delivery time? Would I be able to pick it later from somewhere or how does it work in that case?

kaiguy

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
Does someone know what happens if I DON'T pre-sign and nobody is home at the delivery time? Would I be able to pick it later from somewhere or how does it work in that case?
You can call and ask for it to be held at the service center. Usually it will be available after a certain time on the same day if you can get a hold of them in time.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Will there be a signature required? Nobody will be home at my house on Friday, as I work 8-5....The only time I've ever done a pre-order, I picked the phone up at BB on launch day.

Even with signatures required, sometimes they deliver anyway. I live in a very safe, semi-rural suburb, and we know the UPS and fedex guys pretty well. They always leave stuff at our back door. Even iPhones.

I took friday off of work and I am just going to camp on my porch with some snacks

Good call on the front porch...In a different location I once had to take a day off to receive a package (not an iPhone, but something urgently required, long story) and I was sitting in my home office refreshing the shipping status because, you know, that makes it arrive sooner.

Anyway, all of a sudden the status changes to Delivery Attempted, Second Attempt Tomorrow or some such. I was like WTF??!! No knocks, no doorbell, nothing, and I was home the entire time.

I called the delivery service and made quite a stink. They called the driver and made him deliver it that day. When he arrived I asked him what happened and he told me that he "swung by and didn't see anyone" so kept going (!!!!!!)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Good call on the front porch...In a different location I once had to take a day off to receive a package (not an iPhone, but something urgently required, long story) and I was sitting in my home office refreshing the shipping status because, you know, that makes it arrive sooner.

Anyway, all of a sudden the status changes to Delivery Attempted, Second Attempt Tomorrow or some such. I was like WTF??!! No knocks, no doorbell, nothing, and I was home the entire time.

I called the delivery service and made quite a stink. They called the driver and made him deliver it that day. When he arrived I asked him what happened and he told me that he "swung by and didn't see anyone" so kept going (!!!!!!)

I can't tell you how often this has happened to me. I can't believe they don't even bother to knock?!?! Whatever happened to doing your job?

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I can't tell you how often this has happened to me. I can't believe they don't even bother to knock?!?! Whatever happened to doing your job?

I have surveillance cameras in my driveway and they did this once without even coming up the drive when I had taken the day off work to wait for a delivery. So pissed! I'm thinking of taping a blank piece of paper (or have it say "please ring the bell") this time so that they'll see it from afar and think that it's the pre-sign form and actually attempt delivery.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Apple's site still showing preparing for shipment, but I just signed up for a free UPS My Choice account and when I registered my address, it showed up for Friday delivery!!!! I chose to have it held at my UPS hub, so I'll be able to pick it up Saturday when I get home. Awesome!

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
The release form is on Apple's website. Once the phone ships, see your order for a link to the form to print out, fill out, and tape to your door.

Used it several times in the past. YMMV in your neighborhood, of course!

Any idea where to go looking for the form?

Slumpey

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
Charlotte
Does FedEx require one delivery attempt or can you do what ups does and have it kept at fedex hub for pickup. Would rather do that since I would be working on Friday.

I saw something on fedex called Delivery Manager.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.