Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those likely to upgrade to iPhone 6, what are you currently using?

• 5s

Votes: 100 30.0%
  • 5c

Votes: 6 1.8%

Votes: 144 43.2%
  • 4s

Votes: 28 8.4%

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • 3Gs

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 9.6%

• Total voters

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I've never seen the point in purchasing the latest and greatest every year. I love iPhones but it's basically the same experience on every model.
I purchased my iPhone 4 in 2010 but after installing iOS 7 it became unusable, forcing me to buy a temporary 4S. I assume Apple will cripple the 4S with iOS 8, which is why I'll be getting an iPhone 6 that I'll hold on to for another 4 years.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I upgrade every 2 years when the next numeral alliteration comes out (4, 5, 6). Its nice because (so far at least) very "s" upgrade looks identical so it looks like I have the most current iPhone until you look really close.

I've actually had some people compliment me on my "5s". I have a 5, but with the (timeless, I might add) white/silver color wrapped in a 5s case and running iOS 7, it looks like a 5s. I then have to correct them and point out mine has no fingerprint scanner.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm using an iPhone 5 and G2. I love the 5.2" screen! I can't wait for the iPhone 6...give me a 4.7" screen, Apple!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I currently own a Moto G which is running Android 4.4.2. I got it about a month ago and only plan to keep it until the new iPhone comes out later this year. I'll make a decision then on what platform to go with (stay with Android or return to iOS)

I've owned every iPhone except the original and including both the 5C and 5S. I had no issue with the 5S itself but I'm just tired of iOS at the moment and needed a change.

I hope iPhone 6 has at least a 4.5" screen and no more than 5". I look forward to seeing what Apple does with iOS 8.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I like my iPhone 5

but

I might upgrade if the 6

has a bigger screen and is still comfortable to hold in one hand.
battery life is better.
still in the same price range (contract.)

This will be the first time I will want to use the iPhone at the store first to determine if I will get the 6 or wait for the 6s/7.

I do not need to upgrade my phone this year, but I might if the above work for me.

dickdaney

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
I have a 5 now. I'll buy the 6 if its truly a step change over the 5S. otherwise i may just pick up a used 5S. Has to be 64GB though

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I upgraded from the 4S to a 5 last year. But, from what I've read/seen, upgrading to the 5S wouldn't be beneficial for the way I use an iPhone. Will likely upgrade to the 6 when it's released.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
If the 6 isn't a bigger screen there's no way I switch from my iPhone 5. It's time to move on from the rinky dink screen the touch id in the 5s was a joke.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I am currently using an iPhone 4s ---- was eligible to upgrade back in August, however the 5s was not sufficiently compelling for my tastes/requirements.

I have an iPad Air, so I am okay even forgoing the new iPhone if it doesn't have a larger screen --- not pablet-sized, but wider than the phones in the current lineup.

ms.annette

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
SoCal
I love my iPhone 5. However, I am due for an upgrade and if the iPhone 6 is tickles my fancy I will upgrade. I don't like to upgrade to the in between models like the 5s.

And I go agree on cutting out the 16GB models. That's what I have and I am dying for more space. Will opt for the 32 next time.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Don't we have to actually see the iPhone 6 in order to seriously consider it?

No because my phone needs to be upgraded really bad so no matter what I'm upgradeing when my contracts up.

----------

I have a 4...can't wait for some real leaks to start surfacing!

Same here

----------

I've had a 4 4S 5 5S and will get a 6. I get every new iPhone because I can and want to =]

If I had the money to I would do the same thing

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I will probably only upgrade IF it has a larger screen. Faster CPU more megapixel camera won't get it.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
No because my phone needs to be upgraded really bad so no matter what I'm upgradeing when my contracts up.

----------

Same here

----------

If I had the money to I would do the same thing

If you needed a new phone really bad you wouldn't be waiting another 7 months for the iPhone 6 to be released. :rolleyes:

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I've had a 4, 4S, 5 and now the 5S. I also have an HTC One for personal use. The HTC screen (size and quality) is awesome. But I will get rid of it for the 6.

Cant wait to rock two iPhones at once!

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
5s. I'll be using my wife's upgrade to get the 6 and she can have my 5s. Been doing it every year :p

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
tl;dr: I'm trying other options while I wait for the iPhone 6. Currently using the Lumia 920 and liking it.

Long version:
I was a bit underwhelmed with the 5S, so I decided to use this time to dabble around with alternative options while I waited for the iPhone 6 which will presumably be a bigger upgrade (hopefully this holds true). My impressions are as follows:

Blackberry OS - Very disappointing. The UI is unintuitive and it basically feels like a mishmash of all the other mobile OS options. I returned it immediately.

Android - while it has come a long way since I last used it (I think Gingerbread was the last version of Android I used), it just isn't my cup of tea. Google mostly fixed the lag issues I used to experience, but IMO it lacks that refinement and polish I've experienced with iOS.

Windows Phone - my current device is a Lumia 920 and I'm very impressed with it. This is the first mobile OS I've felt can match iOS in terms of fluidity and responsiveness. Currently it is lacking some features, but the 8.1 update this April will bring it on par with iOS in terms of features I use. Plus Nokia's hardware is fantastic (especially the low-light performance of the camera).

I may end up having a hard time choosing a new device this fall if both Apple and Nokia (though by fall Microsoft will be owning Nokia's hardware division) release really compelling hardware. My decision may come down to which new software features have been added to each.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
And the simple fact Lumia 920 is a brick doesn't bother you ?
Amazing from a former iPhone user ....

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Haha, it did feel heavy at first but I've gotten used to it. Plus I always felt the iPhone 5 was too light for my liking.

I have a Lumia 620 as my secondary phone, and I like it. But I tried the 920 and it was really too heavy for my tastes.

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
I am still using my 3GS. :) My plan was to buy an iPhone 5 first, but then I decided to wait for the release of a 5S.

Reading about all those issues with the 5S (especially, the power button rattle) I am now waiting for the 6 which is hopefully going to be amazing: no rattle, rock solid with sapphire glass, A8, 2 GB Ram... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.