iPhone XS Max For those who bought 512GB, what do you put on your iPhones?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Jan 5, 2019.

1. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

2. tl01 macrumors 68020

I use my cars to their capacity every day. I use the options I pay for...for sure! Including my Mercedes. People think a woman doesn’t know what she wants in car. Please.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2019 ---
    That is just nuts! I don’t believe in signifying wealthy: enjoy and use what you have. I don’t like to hang with people who think you signify wealth.

3. Roger67 macrumors newbie

Apple should rebrand these as the iPhone Pros some have been asking for.

4. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

I'll likely never fill it but I bought the 512GB version anyways. I have 120GB of music on it plus podcasts and about 5,000 pictures on it.

5. superleakTx macrumors member

if you are a parent, you will love the 4K videos for your kids

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok. This sir I can’t argue with. I don’t have kids but one day I’ll make sure to have the 512. Thank you.

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

If you store plenty of movies and tv shows i can see how 256GB isn’t enough. I have 8 films on mine and i have about 103GB left of 256GB so while 512GB isn’t needed i can see why some can see the appeal.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2019 ---
    Well yeah i took a Christmas video worth about 20 mins with different videos and it took up a lot of space. Just like when we have another child next year i will be taking plenty i’m Sure.

8. Ebok macrumors 6502

Can’t even listen to 120gb of music in your lifetime..

Also a joke I read on here before “never know when you’ll need pics from your aunts birthday from 2yrs ago” ... right??

9. TOM1211 macrumors newbie

I have 256gb iphone and I use 40gb i could probably use less. I pay for iCloud storage next time I will just get smaller so I'm literally storing everything in the iCloud but in my iCloud there is 200gb + of photos so if I didn't have iCloud I could fill it just in photos alone.

10. ericwn macrumors 68000

My Mac has a 1TB hard drive. For those in the same boat, what should I use it for?

11. purged, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  12. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

I don't take any pictures or video on my phone. I just save lots of pictures and video from Instagram and Twitter. I really don't have any family.

13. MC1763 macrumors member

Im a pilot, I need my maps and charts, first on my iPad, backup is my iPhone.

14. KOTN91 macrumors member

Have you ever heard of Facebook messenger or WhatsApp?

15. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

The problem is Facebook. Just say no.

16. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Oh the apps where everyone gets to read your message and emails. Don’t forget tracking your location.

17. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

How much do you think 120gb of music is? I'm fairly confident it can be listened to in a much shorter span than a lifetime. :) I'm sure he's listened to it at least once already.

18. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

I have only music that I have actually listened to on my phone. I made a playlist in iTunes that every song on the list must have been played at least once. I then synced that to my phone and that total is now a bit over 120GB.

I also have a playlist with music that I have listened to in the past 365 days. I frequently play that one, at least twice a year. Takes me several weeks to get through it.

There's no point on having music on the phone if I haven't actually played it.

19. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Raw image files and 4K video along with the apps to edit that content take up a lot of space.

The videos on my workout apps take up a decent amount of space too.

The misc playlists I download and then forget I download also take up a lot of space.

I also have about 32gbs of “other” taking up half of my “64” gbs of storage.

20. flehman macrumors 6502

flehman

I use an iPhone 7 256GB. About 100GB is music, all in Apple Lossless, because yes I can tell the difference between lossless and mp3 when I plug my phone into the car or home stereo. I think it is around 2500-3000 tracks. The rest is available for locally stored video, which is nice when out of town at your in-laws who still don’t have Internet and live where mobile reception is terrible.

256GB is about what I was looking for storage-wise, but if/when 512 becomes available as the “middle” storage tier I would probably go for it.

21. Hedo macrumors member

Hedo

I went for the XS Max 512 GB option and have about 130 GB free at the moment.

Tomorrow I´m off for a four week trip across Australia and New Zealand and I´ll be using the iPhone as my main camera for videos and pictures as my DSLR broke a little while back and I haven´t bought a new one. With 4K video the storage space will be truly appreciated as I don´t know how often I´ll be able to have fast Wifi to do online backups of the pics and vids and unload them from the phone.

And with 512 GB I´m able to have lots of offline music and videos for when stuck at the airports, long flights etc. I have an iPad Pro 11 256 GB for the longer streches of content consuming but the iPhone is just so much more available for catching a quick episode of a TV-show or enjoying some great music and podcasts stored offline. I´m also able to store larger offline maps for navigating.

In my home country Norway we don´t have unlimited data plans for mobile, most people have data plans with around 1-6 GB, and some upto 20-40 GB, data per month which isn´t that much when you stream high definition video, good quality music, use the phone as a hotspot to other devices and so on. So having extra storage is much appreciated when you are on the go a lot as I am myself so the data plan can go to better use when hotspotting to my laptop on the road etc.