For those who don't like to jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sdahe, Nov 19, 2010.

?

I prefer to...

1. jailbreak

126 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. not jailbreak

172 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Sdahe, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Ok, everybody talks about how good is the iphone with jailbreak but I would like to see the other side of the coin... Those who don't want to jailbreak their iphone... and why not.

Let's hear the other side of the coin... why don you jailbreak your iphone?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

People who don't have their iPhone jailbroken most likely don't know about it or don't care.

I on the other hand, love my jailbroken iPhone 4:D

3. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I wasn't that impressed...It had some cool features but for the most part was a giant pain in the butt

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I used to Jailbreak my Original iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, but not my iPhone 4.

Lately their seems to be less reasons to do so, and to be honest, I got tired of the cat and mouse game that the Dev team and Apple seems to have. Not being able to update my iPhone because I had to wait for the Dev team to say it was OK or to wait for an update from them kind of sucked. Not to mention performance issues.

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Or, there are those of us who got tired of random crashes, lock ups, and general unreliable nonsense with their Jailbroken phone. Going back to factory settings took away the head aches for me.

6. Krayd2k macrumors member

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

lets keep it real

most people dont jailbreak to get free apps :rolleyes:

8. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

A few reasons that I won't jailbreak my iPhones going forward:

1) Past experiences - MY past experiences of jailbreaking aren't all that great. Slow down, freezing etc all happening after the jailbreak but never before. I most recently jailbroke my phone a week or so back and only installed 1 application (MyWi - to use with my iPad), but within a few days I had to restore due to my phone slowing down and freezing. Not putting up with that for anything. Factory settings give you a more reliable phone, period.

2) Cat and Mouse game - When Apple release new software, I don't want to wait a few weeks for it to be jailbroken with a nice GUI and then a few weeks more for the early adopters to work out the bugs - and even then I find there are still plenty of application crippling bugs! I like just upgrading when Apple announce the update. I don't want to run around haxxoring my phone...it's a phone, not a PC. If it's not reliable 24/7, then it's failing me as a tool.

3) Software - Reasons to jailbreak are reducing quickly. MyWi is about the only thing that's worth a damn at the moment. The rest of the apps have some great ideas but are poorly designed and implemented. I'll wait for them to be done right or not at all thanks.

Each to their own but those are my 3 main reasons.

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Wow, sometimes that takes mere hours. That is just someone who is impatient. LOL, funny how some NEED to update as soon as they know there is one. And yes, there are stil plenty of reasons to JB because Uncle Steve wont let you do anything on your phone as far as customizing without it.

Jailbreaking is so much easier now than it was before, and it wasnt that hard before.

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Well I've use an unlock and jailbroken iPhone from 08/07 to 9/10. I now have an official iPhone 4. Honestly the more stuff you put on a jaillbroken phone, the more unstable it is. For example, my gps would crash, more apps crash. There's freezing! My iPhone 3GS got too buggy and now it's worth it to pay for an iPhone 4. So glad and it's stable. Battery is actually better (since the unlock iPhone with jailbroken suck). Yeah the notification suck on a stock iPhone, but it's better to not have headaches. That's just my opinion have a 8gb 1st gen, 16gb 1st gen, and a 3GS.

11. Sdahe, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well, here I go with my story

I jailbroke my iphone 4 about 2 or 3 days ago and today I restore it... I just figure that I was using 2 things only. One was the 5 dock and the other thing was the HD videos with the Youtube app over 3G and Facebreak. Those were the only things I was using in jailbreak. The thing is that I have a 2GB cap in my account so all those things were going to consume all my data and over. So I will get a higher invoice at the end of the month.

If I want to see HD videos over 3G I just go directly to the Youtube page and there I can see them in high def. In my home I just turn the WiFi on and rock on... I can also use FaceTime while in my house... and the 5 dock was cool but I can live without it.

A question about doing restore... If I restore the iPhone and use the last back up... will this put anything from the jailbreak back to the phone?... what really itunes backups from the iphone?

12. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm not sure how it's a pain to jailbreak. I've done two versions and both took less than 5 minutes.

I have pretty much zero performance or battery issues.

I love the Lock Info screen. Almost enough reason for me right there.

13. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

And for Installous... I never used it.. don't like to download hack apps.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Performance decreases, stability issues, extra battery life drain, no need. Anyone saying otherwise is fooling themselves silly. It's also a security issue, as most people install SSH but don't change their password. And most of the code is very unstable and not performance optimized. Jailbreak is like hacking, it's not a viable everyday solution.

15. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

It's very interesting to see the other side of the coin... lots of I love My Jailbreak iPhone and not much of the other side.

Thanks guys for your comments..

16. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Because I came from a WM 6.5 phone where you had to constantly change/tweek/and fiddle with the damn thing to get it to do what you wanted. I love messing around with computers, but I'm getting too old to mess around with a smartphone. I want something that just works out of the box with no real work on my end. After many trials with other devices, the iPhone fit the bill.

I'm sure jail-braking is a fun experience for many users...I just don't need the hassle. To me the original iOS is sufficient. I do believe it has room to grow, but for now I'm happy just the way it is.

Cosmo

17. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

I am kind of a simple guy. With my computers and phones I just don't like to do over customization. In my opinion, if a developer created my OS or device a certain way, then I like to leave it the way it was intended to be. That being said, my iPhone is jail broken and unlocked only because I am on T-Mobile.

18. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

O.P.

I don't see where you come up with the "lots of I love my Jailbreak iPhone and not much of the other side", I counted the posts and it seems to me there are about 9 against jailbreaking with reasons for not doing it and only two or three for it.

Also I haven't Jailbroke my iPhone because it does everything I want it to do straight out of the box. Its not a piece of garbage like an Android or Windows based phone where you have to constantly fiddle with it to try to make it work.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not for everyone.
    Some should stay away if they dont even bother learning the basics of jailbreaking and unlocking.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

The App itself isnt hacked.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

1,000,000+ Everyday there is a thread that starts

I wanna Jailbreak how?

My JB phone rarely crashes, not Slow no Battery issues. If Apple ever figures out how to lock me out of JB I'd say that will be my last iPhone.

it's not for everybody and I don't think it should be.

22. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

You are right but answer me this... what is the use of installous?.. to pay for the downloads like you do in the apple store?...;)

23. vistadude macrumors 65816

I don't like a program called snow with snow spelled wrong (zeros instead of O's) and some ugly a** looking and sounding program called Cydia. Make something professional looking and I will try a jailbreak.

24. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

if you don't like redsn0w, you should try limera1n instead (they use a 1 instead of a 0)

(just trying to be funny)

25. aluren macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Jailbreak can be an overwhelming task for the average user, especially the average iPhone user, who trust Apple products because everything just works. I know I had to do alot of research to fully understand what jailbreaking does and how to do it.

But now that I have jailbroken my iPhone 4, I can say that it was definitely worth it. It gives me more functionality out of my phone, making the money I paid for the phone and monthly plan more worthwhile, like facetime over 3G.