For those who think that the current retina display is sufficient

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seasurfer, Mar 16, 2013.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

First off, I am not an Android user, I don't have any android device.

Reading through the thread about the new Samsung GS4, I realized that many people thought that the current iPhone retina display of 332ppi is sufficient and argued that any further increase in it is unnecessary as the eyes can't differentiate it anyway.

In my opinion, this is not true, it may be extremely difficult to differentiate, but a ppi of 441 makes a huge different.

This is even more significant for East Asian languages users such as Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Due to the way characters strokes are cramped in the space, a higher ppi can display it crispier and render it more beautifully.

If Apple wants to have a stronghold in the Chinese market, it better increase the ppi. A higher ppi phone makes reading East Asian languages a lot more comfortable and satisfying.

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

This is America! We will teach everyone English and absolve them from their reading problems!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the current PPI on the iPhone means that you cannot discern individual pixels how would a higher density PPI improve on this?

That is if it you cannot see the pixels at 332, wouldn't a ppi in the 400s be a waste?

4. appletoandroid macrumors member

lol, what? I don't think you understand pixel density and how it relates to display and how apps/webpages render. If you can't distinguish pixels in Asian characters right now, how does increasing the pixel density help any? What you're probably referring to is if characters are displayed larger or if you zoom in, which has nothing to do w/ the display resolution, it has to do with how those characters are rendered.

5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Crispier foreign languages. I didn't realize they needed to be toasted

6. irDigital0l Guest

The iPhone 4/4S/5 ppi is 326 ppi btw.

Also its pretty obvious notice it now. When I got the iPhone 4 the display was amazing (it still is) but its obvious that Apple will eventually update the display again with 400+ ppi.

7. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Try reading an East Asian language website on a HTC DNA Droid and an iPhone. You will see the difference.

8. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I've always thought it was a bit of a bummer that "retina" displays were always a bit short of being true HD. Apple makes it sound better, but its not really.

9. irDigital0l Guest

Yea most people don't even know the iPhone's display is not even 720p HD.

Its not bad but its not the best back when it was just iPhone 4 Retina display was jawdropping amazing.

Apple's marketing at its best.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

326PPI is already virtually crystal clear and pixels are indistinguishable for all but the .5% of genetic freaks with above normal eyesight.

If fonts are vector based and not bitmap image based, they will scale perfectly without pixel-izing.

Increasing PPI, pixel density, shrinks the size of the pixels and sub pixels. This restricts light, requiring either a brighter backlight or more LEDs as part of backlight. This drains battery.

So increasing pixel density for the .5%
    Hurts battery life for 100%
    There is no logic to it.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The argument is moot. They will increase the PPI because they will/can, becomes cheaper to manufacture as time progresses, regardless whether we need it or not.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

To the OP,
    I am sincerely curious, have you seena screen with 441 ppi? I ask because you state, seemingly with absolute knowledge, that the 441 ppi screen is, in fact, noticably more crisp. Not saying you are wrong, but unless you went to the even last week, how do you know? If you did go to the event, I'm jealous! :cool:

13. Bahroo macrumors 68000

The true Ppi of the S4 display isnt 440 PPI though, pentile lowers that PPI

----------

I compared my iphone 5 to a DNA in person and there was absolutely really no difference in sharpness

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The OP's claims revolve mostly around asian characters. Did you compare those by chance?

I don't speak/read any asian language, but if these claims are solid, this sort of thing could be a legitimate industry changer I would think. The asian market is HUGE.

15. wxman2003 Suspended

Gawd awful pentile and over blown colors. Yea, that's what I want. :rolleyes: OP, it's not the ppi that makes it easier for Asians to read because of the characters, but the size of the screen. A 5 inch screen will be easier to read than a 4 inch screen. A 5 inch retina display will be just as easy to read as a 5 inch GS4.

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Apple makes it sound better than what?
    It's not better than what?

It's night and day different than my last non-retina idevice.

17. irDigital0l Guest

Other phones like HTC one, Droid DNA, etc. have that type of ppi.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I r been made aware. Please read the rest of the thread if you are interested in my subsequent discussions :)

19. Bahroo macrumors 68000

No? But there was absolutely no difference in both screens in terms of sharpness n ppi, even looking up close

----------

The GS4's PPI IS NOT 440, Pentile severly reduces the PPI on displays because its lacking a sub pixel, so no, the PPI on the S4 is actually NOT 440.... Its a shame they went pentile again, its terrible

And i dont understand why Samsung doesnt even bother to calibrate their displays?

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'm not trying to argue either side here. The op made a claim and I was just seeing off anyone had tested it. That's all. Either way it doesn't matter to me personally as I don't and likely will never find such a feature useful. That said, if it is better for Asian text, we know there is a market for it.

21. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Looks like you didn't even bother reading anything about the Galaxy S4 before spreading your false information. The Galaxy S4 display is not PenTile:

[​IMG]

http://www.gsmarena.com/the_5_super_amoled_on_the_s_iv_compared_to_xperia_z_and_s_iii-news-5701.php

And Galaxy S4 does include different calibrated color modes if that is what you prefer along with user adjustable settings:

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-screen-172690/

In short, everything you say is false.

22. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

Uh, sir, the article you linked says this:

"The Samsung Galaxy S IV was also confirmed to have a PenTile matrix screen, although we doubt it will matter at this kind of pixel density."

It may look bad that you knocked the gentleman on top of you for not reading, when you indeed chose to copy and paste the sentence right below the one I linked where it clearly states that it is in fact Pentile.

23. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

That sentence obviously was a typo if you bothered to look at the images and the sentence that followed saying:

"Samsung has gone for a completely new arrangement this time where the green sub-pixels are twice as many as the blue and red ones. More impressively, the Galaxy S IV display features very minimal gaps between the pixels - probably the smallest of any screen so far."

24. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

Their "new" arrangement does not make it non pentile. I don't believe they would provide that type of information, given that they are fairly reputable. Granted, you're basing your information about the subpixel arrangement on that site as well, so maybe what you're quoting is in fact the mistake. AMOLED in general has this issue, outside of the GS2 S+ screen, which IMO was the best looking AMOLED I've used. I do think the GS4 has it's strong points, and why everyone on the outside has to come in here and try to blast iPhone users on a Mac forum is just beyond me.

----------

For what it's worth too, the Android Authority article you linked is full of people talking about it's Pentile screen as well.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/6074233481/hands-on-with-the-samsung-galaxy-s4

This article also reinforces it, as does

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/samsung-galaxy-s-4-preview/

and

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iv_goes_official_with_new_screen_and_cpu-news-5702.php

25. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Its still pentile bro the layout doesnt look much different to the S3 screen layout