Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
326PPI is already virtually crystal clear and pixels are indistinguishable for all but the .5% of genetic freaks with above normal eyesight.

So increasing pixel density for the .5%
Hurts battery life for 100%
There is no logic to it.

Did something strike a nerve?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family

Guess you ignored the links I gave you, from extremely reputable sites, that link to the fact that it's Pentile.

Edit: Lol I didn't even notice that the Galaxy S4 is already on the Wikipedia site as Pentile.
You're correct, it is a Pen-Tile Matrix. Every tech site I've seen states that sad fact.

Here is the reason for it:
A PenTile display arranges the display's subpixels as red, green, blue, green, an arrangement that helps counter the fact that blue subpixels often degrade faster on AMOLED displays
- Source

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
If the current PPI on the iPhone means that you cannot discern individual pixels how would a higher density PPI improve on this
Except for that the pixels on a Retina display are distinguishable. It's all marketing.

That is if it you cannot see the pixels at 332 [Note by ThatsMeRight: iPhone 5's pixel density is 326 ppi], wouldn't a ppi in the 400s be a waste?
For the sake of discussion, let's assume this is correct. If the pixels are indistinguishable, which pixels do your eyes see and which pixels don't your eyes see?

Let's go further on this: what if we see mostly pixels, but also a little bit of "the space in between the pixels"? If the pixel density is higher, than the chance that our eyes sees more pixels and less of "the space in between the pixels" is going up.

-----------------
That said, I'm always in for improvement. I can't wait until we have near real-life-like displays.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Except for that the pixels on a Retina display are distinguishable. It's all marketing.
I've got 20/10 vision thanks to contacts and even I have a hard time making them out. Anyone with 20/20 (perfect human vision) simply shouldn't be able to. You HAVE to have better vision than most people are born with if you can make them out. Yes, "Retina" is a marketing term but the iPhone display was so much better than anything else that was out there when it was announced that everyone started using the displays. Hence this discussion.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume this is correct. If the pixels are indistinguishable, which pixels do your eyes see and which pixels don't your eyes see?

Let's go further on this: what if we see mostly pixels, but also a little bit of "the space in between the pixels"? If the pixel density is higher, than the chance that our eyes sees more pixels and less of "the space in between the pixels" is going up.
Huh? If you can't see the pixels to begin with there is zero chance you'll see the space between the pixels as that's even smaller by more than half the size.

p1.jpg

From a random source

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I've got 20/10 vision thanks to contacts and even I have a hard time making them out. Anyone with 20/20 (perfect human vision) simply shouldn't be able to. You HAVE to have better vision than most people are born with if you can make them out. Yes, "Retina" is a marketing term but the iPhone display was so much better than anything else that was out there when it was announced that everyone started using the displays. Hence this discussion.
I really disagree with you here. I can distinguish the pixels without problem.

Huh? If you can't see the pixels to begin with there is zero chance you'll see the space between the pixels as that's even smaller by more than half the size.
That's not what I mean. I am talking about: if the pixels are indistinguishable, which pixels do your eyes 'pick up'? Maybe your eye picks up the second, fourth, sixth pixels and my eyes the first, third and fifth pixels. Or maybe a little bit of pixel 1 and a little bit of pixel 2.

After all, if they are indistinguishable than there are SOME pixels you don't see - but which pixels?

400+ pixels per inch displays are so much sharper.

I don't really get why we are arguing here. Are we really having an argument because of improvements?

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
The true Ppi of the S4 display isnt 440 PPI though, pentile lowers that PPI

Actually, the gs4 uses a diamond subpixel arrangement. I haven't seen it first hand myself, but a lot of press who were at the launch event have said that the display is much brighter, sharper, and less PenTile-y than the GS3s screen was.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I don't really get why we are arguing here. Are we really having an argument because of improvements?

They're arguing because the iphone lacks a 400+ ppi display, so of course anything higher than 326ppi is irrelevant.
When/if Apple updates it's display to 400+ ppi, then of course it will be fantastic, and you'll DEFINITELY be able to notice the difference.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I really disagree with you here. I can distinguish the pixels without problem.
I posit that most people can't. That's my point.

And I'm not arguing over technological improvements, I'm arguing because you stated it was "all marketing." That simply isn't true otherwise no one else would be making displays of the same or better caliber now. I would love to use a display with as good as 326ppi or better that doesn't use a pentile matrix or AMOLED (over saturated) display.

Last edited:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
To the OP,
I am sincerely curious, have you seena screen with 441 ppi? I ask because you state, seemingly with absolute knowledge, that the 441 ppi screen is, in fact, noticably more crisp. Not saying you are wrong, but unless you went to the even last week, how do you know? If you did go to the event, I'm jealous! :cool:

441ppi is noticeably more crisp than the iPhone 5 or my 320ppi nexus 4. It just is. I experienced it with the droid dna and wow! One can recite apple marketing all they want but if you have good eyesight the difference is there. That being said I'm perfectly happy with my 720p nexus 4.

Also. 1080p isn't just there for the sake of a higher ppi. That's just the side effect of having 1080p. It's there mainly for marketing, but you can now take advantage of your full hd blue ray rips, YouTube content and whatever else you have that's 1080p.

Last edited:

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
To the OP,
I am sincerely curious, have you seena screen with 441 ppi? I ask because you state, seemingly with absolute knowledge, that the 441 ppi screen is, in fact, noticably more crisp. Not saying you are wrong, but unless you went to the even last week, how do you know? If you did go to the event, I'm jealous! :cool:

Sorry for the late reply.

To answer your question. The answer is yes.

I never seen the GS4, but seen device with 400+ppi before.

HTC DNA droid was the first 400+PPI device I seen, initially, just like most people here who doubted me, I don't think there will be any difference, since you can't really see the pixel beyond 326 PPI.

However, this perception changed when I started browsing Chinese webpages, the chinese characters look so much crispier on the DNA Droid.

The main reason I started this thread is because I hope someone in Apple see this. If Apple really wants to dominate the Chinese market, not increasing the PPI is just not going to work in the long run.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
They're arguing because the iphone lacks a 400+ ppi display, so of course anything higher than 326ppi is irrelevant.
When/if Apple updates it's display to 400+ ppi, then of course it will be fantastic, and you'll DEFINITELY be able to notice the difference.
Arguing that it's both irrelevant, AND detrimental by impacting backlight because smaller pixels let less light through thus needed a more powerful backlight.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

HTC DNA droid was the first 400+PPI device I seen, initially, just like most people here who doubted me, I don't think there will be any difference, since you can't really see the pixel beyond 326 PPI.

However, this perception changed when I started browsing Chinese webpages, the chinese characters look so much crispier on the DNA Droid.

The main reason I started this thread is because I hope someone in Apple see this. If Apple really wants to dominate the Chinese market, not increasing the PPI is just not going to work in the long run.
You're contradicting yourself, first you say that you cant see much of a difference then you're making it sound like its a must to have a higher ppi display.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

If you want someone at apple to see this, submit feedback directly to them. It will have a much better chance of being seen.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

The jump from sub 200 ppi screens to 332 ppi iphone screen is a drastic jump in screen clarity....jump from 332 ppi to 440 ppi is such a small upgrade in screen clarity.

Really 440 ppi vs 332 ppi there is like a 1% difference literally

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Looks like you didn't even bother reading anything about the Galaxy S4 before spreading your false information. The Galaxy S4 display is not PenTile:
Samsung has gone for a completely new arrangement this time where the green sub-pixels are twice as many as the blue and red ones. More impressively, the Galaxy S IV display features very minimal gaps between the pixels - probably the smallest of any screen so far.
gsmarena_004.jpg
Well, it's not perfectly RGB either, though:
iPhone-5-4-pixels.jpg

And as PenTile is defined as reproducing RGB with RGBG, the Galaxy S4 with twice as many green as blue and red pixels is in fact PenTile, just differently arranged.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.