"Force Touch" and Glass Screen Protectors?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Sep 9, 2015.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

I wonder if it will work but since it senses light it seems like it will be no problem

2. LKN macrumors 6502a

Yes no problem

Apple watch has force touch and it works on that with screen protector.

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Hmm this concerns me, too. How about glass screen protectors?

I know there are glass screen protectors for the Nintendo 3DS, but only for the top screen. Screen protector kits come with a film protector for the bottom screen, probably because it is resistive touch. But would that also apply to force touch/3D touch? Sent from my iPad.

4. LKN macrumors 6502a

To be honest not sure about glass ones, i rarely use glass ones anyway prefer the normal ones.

Best to wait and see, but i guess it should as 3D touch is pressure sensitive right?? It recognises the pressure you put on the screen if thats so then it shouldnt be an issue.

5. kshen1 macrumors member

kshen1

Haven't seen a thread on this so I apologize in advance if it's already been made..

Do you guys think there will be any issue with Tempered Glass Screen Protectors and the iPhone 6S? More specifically, will it impact the new 3D touch in any way?

I know that nobody here knows for sure, I just wanted to hear everybody's thoughts.

6. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I wonder if the tempered glass screen protectors that a lot of people use will interfere with 3D Touch or whatever they officially called it? Possibly registering as some force and throwing off the whole thing?

Maybe this will be the 6S "gate"

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the screen protector has nothing to do or a way to interfere with force touch.
    It will not register differently.

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

^^^you sure about that

the force touch glass is pliable, a rigid glass protector will distribute force across a wider, less specific part of the screen and i could see that messing it up

9. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I think it's a possibility, but both pieces of glass are pliable. I think that adding another piece of glass on top would increase the overall rigidity adding to less precise force touches, or just harder presses needed in general. It probably won't matter too much in the end though as people will realize whether they use force touch or not within a week or so, and adjust accordingly.

10. pcmike macrumors regular

pcmike

I'm concerned about this possible issue as well. Would love for a early reviewer to point out how glass screen protectors play with the new 3D Touch..

11. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

But considering the pliablility of a screen protector compared to the pliability of glass, I doubt the force distribution will be significant enough to notice.

12. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Why use a screen protector when they've beefed up the glass on the 6s and 6s+. It's some sort of double ion on the new phones.

13. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Yeah but how many times have we heard that and how many times do scratch tests or real world experiences negate that? Sand will always scratch a phone's screen.

14. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Because it can still scratch?

Might as well go caseless too since they "beefed up" the aluminum! ;)

15. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I already do, so why not. I've gone caseless and no screen protector on all my iPhones since the 3g (then 4, 5 and 6.) not once have I had any damage or scratches to the glass or phone. No need to baby a phone in bubble wrap.

16. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Just because you've been lucky doesn't mean everyone will be. Safest route is always to cover it up.

17. dogg macrumors regular

dogg

If micro scratches can appear on sapphire I guess the same for the glass screen. Bodyguardz are sending out emails saying their screen protector are ready to ship for the S.

18. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

My guess is if you get one on day 1 you will get used to it. If you go without a screen protector the. Apply one it might feel different?

19. JXShine macrumors 6502

JXShine

good question; I have been wondering too

I think the thinner ones won't have a problem. The thicker ones like the iMos might interfere with 3D Touch. That's my guess

20. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

While true, it's also safer to wear coverall's over your brand new tux every time you go out, or put a plastic slip cover over your sofa, etc., etc.

Each to his own.

21. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

22. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Why do you need a screen protector? Especially since the new iPhones have Gorilla Glass 4.

23. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

No. Apple and Corning have long since parted ways.

24. ricktat macrumors 65816

Here is a good 1 year old thread to read. Its not the deep scratches that I am worried about. It is the small scratches that are in the oleophobic coating.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6555765

25. Hal~9000, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

True true, although maybe if everyone upgraded their Tux and Sofa as often as they do their phone they might take better care of it for resale value?

On the flip side you could say a certain *ahem* "physical activity" feels better without protection... but its definitely not as safe as having your stuff covered up ;):p:D

As you said though, to each his own!