Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
And yet, every season more comments about fine scratches on the screen. Until its sapphire, it is prone to scratches.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I'm sure it'll still work fine. With that said, I'm not sure why anyone would use a screen protector in this day and age.

Does it prevent the screen from cracking if dropped? Because you don't need one to prevent scratches (the glass is pretty resistant).

Not according to the scratches on my 6+.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Maybe I'm lucky. I've never had any major scratches on any of my iPhones' screens. I can see "extremely" tiny ones if I stare for a few minutes. But that's okay -- they don't hurt resale value -- it's normal wear and tear.

Now, I'd never use one without a case. The bodies aren't durable at all.

Anyway, back on topic, it'll be fine. A thin layer of plastic shouldn't mess up the 3D Touch.

Last edited:

capandjudy

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2013
Huntington, WV
This concern has been mentioned in a couple of other threads. I use a screen shield no matter how hard Apple says the new glass is. Things happen even to very careful users. On a side note I also wonder if the 3D touch will be hampered when in Otterbox Defender type cases with substantial built in front shields.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
i wonder if these screen protectors will prevent force touch from working properly...

I was wondering the same thing. I got the email from bodyguardz who I have bought a number of screen protectors in the past and they say they will not ship 6s protectors until they validate it works with 3d touch or whatever it's called.

I really wanted to have a glass screen protector waiting for my new 6s plus when it gets here. I have one waiting for all my devices for the last few years.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
i think static cling maybe work

i am not sure if watch is a good example since there are a ton of sensor here that may or may not work with a screen protector.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
I agree that I think the plastic ones (ie:zagg) would work no problem but the glass I can see pose a problem. I guess time will tell.

fenderjag

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
I have been using glass screen protectors on my iPhones since the 4s. Do you guys think a glass screen protector will have any affect on 3D Touch? I noticed that on apple.com all of the screen protectors (non glass) have not updated their compatibility to include the 6s yet.

I assume there will not be an issue, but I am curious what you all think before I order one.

Thanks

Last edited:

appleforme

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
White Mountains of Arizona
I had just placed an order on Amazon this morning for the same tempered glass screen protectors that I use on my iPhone 6+. This thread made me wonder about how well 3D touch will function with a glass protector. I canceled my order and will wait for feedback from others ;)

bigmikeyp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
Manchester, UK
Glad I stumbled across this thread as I've just been looking at tempered glass protectors.

Now I think about it, it seems worthwhile holding off until reviews or experiences of others come in. To be honest, I've never used one, and gone between a naked device and one with a thin bumper/cover, so I'm in no hurry. My now ordered Spigen thin case should serve me nicely :)

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I dont think the 3D touch knows where you are pressing, it just knows where your finger is making contact with the screen and applies the pressure menu there. So in theory, tempered glass should work fine.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I would imagine it would be accurate with plastic screen protectors, but also work (less effectively) with tempered glass. I believe the 3D Touch sensors detect tiny deflections in the glass surface to understand how much force you're applying at a particular point on the display (please correct me if I'm wrong). With a flexible plastic, this shouldn't affect anything, but with with a beefy coverglass, you're adding rigidity to the structure, potentially distributing the deflections over a greater area.

HOWEVER, I am willing to bet that Apple tested this already and won't be an issue.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
I don't understand why people think glass protector will affect 3D Touch. Your finger will still register where exactly you are pressing via the capacitive screen, which loses no accuracy with tempered glass protectors. Once it has the spot where you pressed, where exactly the force is being displaced is irrelevant. It's just a matter of how hard you press down - the capacitive screen is still responsible for the accuracy of where you're pressing.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You can't compare the watch Force Touch and 3D Touch on the iPhones. They are implemented in different ways.

As for 3D Touch. The only thing I can think that could happen is a glass screen protector makes it more rigid and would require more force to initiate the light press and hard press. (The two levels of 3D Touch)

It won't have any effect on it knowing where you're pressing because that is handled by the digitizer that is in all touch screen.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
He's not lucky. I have had every iPhone since the 3G. Never had a case or screen protector. Never scratched my screen or damaged my phone. I don't baby it either. Believe it or not, these phones are pretty durable. I have said this so many times but I will say it again - I can't believe people wrap these things in plastic, covers, protectors and boxes! Makes them look tacky, bulky and all around terrible.

Maybe if you are in a field that requires some ruggedness, I can get it. Day to day - 9-5 people, I don't.
lagwagon said:
I already do, so why not. I've gone caseless and no screen protector on all my iPhones since the 3g (then 4, 5 and 6.) not once have I had any damage or scratches to the glass or phone. No need to baby a phone in bubble wrap.

Your phone is scratched. It may not be enough to bother you or even notice in normal light, but any time someone tells me they have zero scratches I always make a point to take a quick look to express my "amazement".

EVERY SINGLE person that says this ALWAYS has scratches, albeit perhaps just micro ones that you may not normally notice. It's just the way these phones are. Doesn't matter how careful you are with them if you use it normally.

They may not be deep gouges that distract you in everyday use, but they are there. I use a zagg glass and a slim magpul case and they have saved me innumerable times.

Last edited:

mvray1

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
Mine is either in my pocket, back pack or camelback while mtn biking.
I use a Otterbox commuter with a plastic screen protector. I like how the port covers keep stuff out.
I've taken a few good crashes where I've landed on the camelbak and the phone was fine.
When my new iP6S arrives it will be protected the same way.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I'm sure we will see more info about this in the following weeks, but does anybody have any information about potential issues with 3D Touch and glass protectors? I'm just wondering if the added glass layer might affect the sensibility of the touch.

It doesn't on the watch, so there's no reason that it would on the phone.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I'm sure we will see more info about this in the following weeks, but does anybody have any information about potential issues with 3D Touch and glass protectors? I'm just wondering if the added glass layer might affect the sensibility of the touch.

Why would it affect 3D touch? The touch sensors measure location of your finger just like before. They work fine with the glass screen protector. the 3D portion AKA force touch sensors measure screen movement (96 sensors across the screen is what Jonny Ives said in the video). He seemed fairly specific that touch was touch and depth was depth. I see NO reason why the glass screen protector is going to mess up 3D touch. Seems highly unlikely.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Why would it affect 3D touch? The touch sensors measure location of your finger just like before. They work fine with the glass screen protector. the 3D portion AKA force touch sensors measure screen movement (96 sensors across the screen is what Jonny Ives said in the video). He seemed fairly specific that touch was touch and depth was depth. I see NO reason why the glass screen protector is going to mess up 3D touch. Seems highly unlikely.

It doesn't on the watch, so there's no reason that it would on the phone.

Just thinking out loud. It was my impression that 3D Touch was more sensitive than Force Touch on the Watch so it made me think about how another layer of glass on top of the screen might interfere and cause the depth of the touch not to be sensed as clearly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.