Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Good now maybe Ford will learn from Apple on how to make an interface. MyFord Touch completely BLOWS. Then again a bunch of engineers probably wont understand how to use it. Hhahaha.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Everyone is familiar with Ford's original statement. There's nothing witty or clever about being the guy that repeats a joke everyone's already heard.

Actually, no. Many people do not know Ford's famous line these days. Lighten up, man. If you got nothing better to do than criticize people's lighhearted jokes online, i feel sorry for you.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
a golden opportunity for apple to get rid of 3300 of those ugly ass 5Cs that no one wants..:D

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
As a Canadian this makes me a bit sad. But they should have seen the writing on the wall back in 2007-8 instead of burying their heads in the sand.

a golden opportunity for apple to get rid of 3300 of those ugly ass 5Cs that no one wants..:D

...you know that they've been doing pretty well, right? This comment just makes you look a bit silly.

paysdoufs

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Same here

Not when there are even larger devices out there.

We're phasing out the BBs and replacing them with iPhones 5s. But if I'm brutally honest, I'm not over the moon with that move. Since the business use of my mobile device consists 90% of the time of emails, I would have liked a really large screen; say Lumia 1520 or 930.

In addition, the Swype keyboard introduced with WP 8.1 works really nicely (I use an iP and a WP in parallel for personal use)! At some point in time, they thought about allowing BYOD (all OS) but I guess they realized the headache that Android devices would be and now the iP is mandatory :confused:

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The point was that the BlackBerry MDM has allowed companies to invade the privacy of their employees without the employees knowledge, whereas the Android/iOS MDMs notify the user when the company does something like that. The gist of the other article seems to have been "now that employees know their privacy is being invaded by their company's MDM on their Android/iOS devices, they suddenly want their old BlackBerrys back", as if their old BlackBerrys were any less prone to privacy invasions. BlackBerrys simply didn't notify users when their company was doing stuff like that.

Both Android and iOS have been able to (for years now) containerize work in its own separate secure silo, like the BlackBerry Balance feature you've linked to above.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Maybe this will help push carplay into ford more quickly. They've committee, but we've heard nothing since.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
We're phasing out the BBs and replacing them with iPhones 5s. But if I'm brutally honest, I'm not over the moon with that move. Since the business use of my mobile device consists 90% of emails! I would have liked a really large screen; say Lumia 1520 or 930.

In addition, the Swype keyboard introduced with WP 8.1 works really nice (I use an iP and a WP in parallel for personal use)! At some point in time they thought about allowing BYOD (all OS) but I guess they realized the headache that Android devices would be and now the iP is mandatory :confused:

Well at least you can enjoy new keyboards including swype on iOS8...

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Don't know why people think that's funny. Back when Ford made a small number of models with few options and instead focused on quality they did a lot better and had a much stronger market position to show for it.

As for this decision, makes perfect sense. Businesses can't rely on a company that could go bankrupt any day (like BB) and they need a company that offers long-term support. With Apple, you can run the same software and apps on any phone up to 4 years old while still having the latest security updates. No Android vendor can beat that- after a couple years on Android you'd have 30 different models running 10 different OSes, many of which with known flaws that will never be fixed.

always someone who can't just take a joke for a joke and has to question it and break it down. :rolleyes:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The point was that the BlackBerry MDM has allowed companies to invade the privacy of their employees without the employees knowledge, whereas the Android/iOS MDMs notify the user when the company does something like that. The point of that article seems to have been "now that employees know their privacy is being invaded on their Andoird/iOS devices, they suddenly want their old BlackBerrys back", as if they were any less prone to privacy invasions. They simply didn't notify users when they happened.

Both Android and iOS have been able to (for years now) containerize work in its own separate secure silo, like the BlackBerry Balance feature you've linked to above.

Maybe the employees know how BES10 works, and that is what they want.

And even BES10 is allegedly better on BB10 devices than when used with other phones.

BB10 devices are designed to support security from the hardware level up.

And they can be enhanced by NATO-approved German hardware crypto cards. The company was acquired by BlackBerry today, BTW.

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
My employer is, too. I was lucky to be hired just as the very first wave were being issued - I was the first person in my department to have an iPhone.

Unfortunately, they locked them down - hard. No iCloud integration allowed, FaceTime and iMessage disabled (only regular SMS,) a custom internal app store with a *VERY* limited selection of apps. (Policy says no 'high bandwidth' apps, so no Netflix, although strangely they DO allow YouTube.)

Ironically, the division I work for makes iOS apps for our clients, and most of our clients branded apps aren't on the approved app list!

Thankfully, the ultra-limited setup was only temporary during the first wave of the rollout - they are starting a new less-restricted set up currently. My phone gets "migrated" over this week.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Maybe the employees know how BES10 works, and that is what they want.
Or maybe the whole article is BS.

When you have an unnamed "IT Executive" from an unnamed "well-known investment firm in NYC" implying that his employees want BlackBerrys back because he's got the ability to use a MDM to turn on the camera and/or microphone on an employees iPhone, that's just utter crap.

"The iPhone was meant for just the user, not a user and an admin. So when an admin has access to a device, the admin has access to everything.

"There really is a great deal of capability inside these devices, [such as] the ability to turn on the camera or a microphone and listen to conversations," says the IT executive. "This stuff is pretty spooky."

SpartanOLP

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Since they're only in the preparation stage, the iPhone 6 will be available long before any actual transition. Also, I imagine they'll want to ask IBM what they have up their sleeve.

Actually, they are already rolling them out. My in-law is getting his iPhone this week.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
That's ironic. BlackBerry's MDM lets companies invade privacy by maintaining a log of every SMS and IM sent -- without the employees knowledge -- but employees are having a problem with privacy when a non-BlackBerry MDM notifies them their company chooses to look at their location or the apps running? WTH?

It isn't ironic. The reality is that if your company wants to have control and visibility into your mobile device and you want privacy, then you have to carry two devices.
If you want privacy, then you can't hand over your personal smartphone to the 25-year old in IT. Period. One you do, unless you do a full wipe before hand, then you've handed over your entire digital life.
You need to either have two devices or you need to physically sit there and watch everything the IT person does with your phone until they are done.

----------

The point was that the BlackBerry MDM has allowed companies to invade the privacy of their employees without the employees knowledge, whereas the Android/iOS MDMs notify the user when the company does something like that. The gist of the other article seems to have been "now that employees know their privacy is being invaded by their company's MDM on their Android/iOS devices, they suddenly want their old BlackBerrys back", as if their old BlackBerrys were any less prone to privacy invasions. BlackBerrys simply didn't notify users when their company was doing stuff like that.

No, the article doesn't get into it, but I'm pretty sure the part they want back is that the company start paying for them to have a separate phone. So they can use one phone for business and one for personal and never give the personal over to corporate.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It isn't ironic. The reality is that if your company wants to have control and visibility into your mobile device and you want privacy, then you have to carry two devices.
If you want privacy, then you can't hand over your personal smartphone to the 25-year old in IT. Period. One you do, unless you do a full wipe before hand, then you've handed over your entire digital life.
You need to either have two devices or you need to physically sit there and watch everything the IT person does with your phone until they are done.

----------

No, the article doesn't get into it, but I'm pretty sure the part they want back is that the company start paying for them to have a separate phone. So they can use one phone for business and one for personal and never give the personal over to corporate.

You don't need to let IT touch your BB10 phone:

http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2012/09/blackberry-10-enterprise-activation/

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wow, didn't see this coming - more bad news for blackberry.

Yeah, bad news for BB. But I am in hopes that it will somehow lead to better iOS integration in my Ford Fusion or the next Ford vehicle I buy.
biggrin.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.