Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Don't know why people think that's funny. Back when Ford made a small number of models with few options and instead focused on quality they did a lot better and had a much stronger market position to show for it.

Sure, until others figured out that most people like choice.

Ford got beaten to death when Chevy and other competitors started offering more colors and styles in the early 1920s.

By 1925, Chevy overtook Ford in revenue, and stayed ahead until the 1980s.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
For those of your who work at companies that provide iPhones- do they provide regular iPhones with secure email (similar to Good For Enterprise) and work app and leave rest of the functionality the same?

Or do they provide a device with restrictions since it's a work device?

A lot of the upside to having iPhone as a single device goes away if the if the functionality is limited. I'd rather go with a BYOD solution that uses GFE or something similar.

Also not crazy about my single device that I use for personal use being company property.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
always someone who can't just take a joke for a joke and has to question it and break it down. :rolleyes:
I'm more than happy to read jokes if they are original and funny. Rehashing Ford's oft-quoted quip about black is about as witty as making a joke about rounded rectangles in every single Apple vs. Samsung thread.

----------

Sure, until others figured out that most people like choice.

Ford got beaten to death when Chevy and other competitors started offering more colors and styles in the early 1920s.

By 1925, Chevy overtook Ford in revenue, and stayed ahead until the 1980s.
LOL. You're talking about GM, a company that only exists thanks to government bailouts. Strategy is about the long term, not the short term. Spamming models waters down a company's engineering talent over time and drives up costs leading to various cost-cutting exercises that you really don't want. Had any one of the big three stuck with a couple of models instead of what they did the north american auto makers would not be the laughingstock of the world. Our best company right now is Tesla, guess how much 'choice' you get from them? In five years you might get to choose from 3 models.

from the ashes

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4S screen size. It's sad that you're not happy unless you have the biggest phone your money can buy and that's bigger that everyone else's. It's a sorry state of mind that you think others will not be happy because they don't have what you perceive is necessary for happiness. It's even sadder when you look at how selfish and pompous you sound knowing that millions go hungry every day and would be happy to have clean drinking water or a bag of rice to feed their family. These are the same people that build your disposable Android phones so you can get the latest and greatest next year.

Happiness is not found in things, but within.

That being said, I'm getting an iPhone 6 with a larger screen if/when it's available, but I'm dreading using it if it means I can't use it one handed. My thumbs are really not that long.

The saddest thing out of all of.this.. That you are considering buying a mobile phone that you are dreading using?.. Small tip for you. You bang on about starving kids, get a flip.phone that is.the right size.. Send.the other 500.bucks saved by.not getting a iph6 to Africa.. Winners all round.. Unless of.course you are just a.hypocrite ..

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
That's not really answering the question. :)

True... It runs well enough that you can use it every day as long as you are not expecting it to be as fast as a new phone.. Clearly the perfectionists at Apple think it runs well enough.

----------

LOL. You're talking about GM, a company that only exists thanks to government bailouts. Strategy is about the long term, not the short term. Spamming models waters down a company's engineering talent over time and drives up costs leading to various cost-cutting exercises that you really don't want. Had any one of the big three stuck with a couple of models instead of what they did the north american auto makers would not be the laughingstock of the world. Our best company right now is Tesla, guess how much 'choice' you get from them? In five years you might get to choose from 3 models.

One real problem GM has is the retirement pension it has to give to its retired employees, it has bankrupt the company so much that they had to cut costs in their cars... I don't like GM at all but many of their current problems have a lot to do with the old auto workers unions.. I do agree that the idea of having several companies making the exact same car and selling it as different models was a bad idea and I was glad to see Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and Oldsmobile get the Axe. Especially Pontiac- those cars were beyond terrible. I personally would have preferred to see GM go out of business completely. Even since the bailout they have horribly managed the company.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

With the "app gap" you aren't going to get employees to stop carrying their iPhones. Maybe at some point you could have, but not anymore. Balance is too late and also many folks aren't going to be too sure if it really works the way it is supposed to.

So the logical and most secure thing to do is to carry a Blackberry and an iPhone. That is what I do, and I like it. If work wants to manage a phone, they can manage the blackberry. But they don't ever touch the iphone.

But my work isn't super focused on security. So our IT doesn't get too involved with our devices. Some places though take your phone regularly to make sure you apply security updates and things like Citrix fobs.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I'm more than happy to read jokes if they are original and funny. Rehashing Ford's oft-quoted quip about black is about as witty as making a joke about rounded rectangles in every single Apple vs. Samsung thread.

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

I think it is somewhat witty given that Apple released the iPhone only in black and it took them 7 years to offer more than 2 colors.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

I think it is somewhat witty given that Apple released the iPhone only in black and it took them 7 years to offer more than 2 colors.
I'm getting the impression that a lot of people's parties don't have a lot of new material. Guess you just sit there and tell Bob Dole jokes.

P.S. 2013-2007 = 6, not 7. Guess arithmetic is not your forte?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Seriously; Ford can order these 6,000 phones from Apple and the employees can take them out of the box, turn them on, and all Ford's security settings, corporate email and apps and so on will automatically be installed.

Yep. it's a nifty trick. My nephews were required to get iPads for school last semester. It's a private school so parents pay the money for all books etc. So my brother buys the iPads and gives the school IT guy the serials and when they turned them on the first time it set up everything they needed for school. They were twerps and put passcode on them to keep out my niece who managed to bork them up and even after restoring them it picked up that it should be on the school profile.

----------

What happended to BYOD? That companies are still supplying employees with phones is bad for business and employees.

Or it isn't. A lot of it is "Personal" opinion. After all do you really want your employees putting games for the kiddies on their work phone. Do you want them getting pissed at you if you use your MDM to remote wipe their phone cause they leave the job but they didn't have Junior's soccer game photos backed up. And how do you reconcile who pays the cell phone bill when an employee is both business and personal on the phone.

For some companies it's not worth it to have to answer such questions. They provide the phone, pay the bill, control the system etc.

SpartanOLP

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Huh... some people might be annoyed come September?

I don't think he cares if he gets a 6 or a 5s/5c. Yes I'm sure some people will be bummed if they don't the 6, but I doubt the 6 will be available at Ford at launch. Based on my experience at Ford (yes I worked there for a while. Upper management has had iPads since the first release) and my current employer they usually take a month or two to get certified by security and tested by app and containment teams.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Now let's home that they use these phones to make a decent product. Aside from Mustang their cars are average at best.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Ford is good to get these devices into employee's hands because:
- more opportunity to get real world experience and feedback, regarding phone vehicle interface (i.e. sync and carplay) during development and prototype, and fleet drives, than if folks are using the phones of yesterday;
- if they are really interested in security, they will issue 5s, or 6 phones with TouchID;
- they should issue the latest phones to at least the folks who do the advanced engineering, development drives and clinics, so that if the in vehicle system is laggy, and slow compared to the phone, they will be able to do a mid-cycle update to the vehicle;
- automotive people travel, a lot, and passbook will be a simplifying tool for the Ford people on the go;
- automotive launches, and later in-production quality issues, require a lot of communication between plants, dealerships, and the product development people in Dearborn, Michigan, Cologne, Germany; China, Brazil, Russia, etc. Being able to send pics, or videos, or audio from remote locations to the product development and quality folks will speed up problem resolutions quickly and without the need of sending teams of people out into the field for a look see (a big savings in travel and time expense);
- similar to above, Ford has around 5,000 direct suppliers around the globe. Improving contact between a supplier and Ford Supplier Technical Assistance and / or Product Development, will result in a massive productivity and cost savings.

Properly deployed and used, Ford will be able to purchase the most expensive iPhone model, and will save millions in direct and indirect costs for having done this ... whoever proposed this and approved this should get a 50% increase in their annual bonus!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.