Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jra81984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
The antenna issue is not a problem for me, I have tried to replicate it numerous times with no result.

My problem is with the proximity sensor. There arent as many people complaining about it, but I think its a pretty serious issue. I was on the phone with my girlfriend last night, and I must have hung up on her or pushed buttons at least over 5 times.

if apples were to address an issue I think that one in particular should be first priority. I fear the moment I am on an important call and my cheek hangs up the phone. It has nothing to do with my positioning either because it happens constantly.

willcodejavafor

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
This is probably the reason behind most dropped calls people are reporting. :)

It's such a shame since it is so much better than my old 3G one.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Ahh. So that's why the phone went to "mute" without me selecting it -- proximity sensor. It also tried to start a FaceTime session on one occassion.

I was blaming it on my superior facial bone structure. In the words of our fearless leader, "It's a non issue." and "You are holding it wrong."

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I agree that this is a problem that trumps the antenna "issue"

Mainly because if my signal is anything but crappy I have no antenna issue, but the prox sensor is acting like a finicky little pain in the ass.

At least we can be pretty sure that this bug IS software related.

londondude

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
ha ha i have pressed the mute button about 10 times. so I get people saying "hello, hello". it is annoying and i dont have issued with the antenna so much.

spookme

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Glad to read

I'm glad to see this thred. Ive noted that on a large number of occastions I keep catching the FaceTalk button which causes all sorts of problems, usually because the other person cant use factalk.

I have also had the mute situation.

I have to say that for the most part I am pretty dissapointed with this new phone, but do reside myself to the point that in todays world this is the price we pay for being the first to have something. whilst I dont agree with it at all, I think its just the case.

Iphonelvr

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
No issues here.

Of course there was no need to start a new thread...... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/951675/

Kinda expected to see a June 2010 join date.

Well as a member since 2008 who only posts when I have something relevant or positive to say I kinda enjoy the energy, excitement and information that the newbies bring to this forum. You were a newbie once.

I just dont understand the people here that just read post looking for the chance to make a smart remark.

If you are not interested in the tread just move on to the next. " Dont be a D*** " :apple:

HaroldC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
While I am relieved that others are also experiencing this problem, I'm not happy that it's a problem in the first place. I got lucky and have no reception issues, but yesterday got "disconnected" 3 times on one phone call. It was strange since there was no error only the call list, which is usually only there when I have ended a call.

Now I just hold the phone away from my cheek. Patiently waiting for a fix......

charltonx

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
lose some weight chubby cheeks :p

:)

Well as a member since 2008 who only posts when I have something relevant or positive to say I kinda enjoy the energy, excitement and information that the newbies bring to this forum. You were a newbie once.

I just dont understand the people here that just read post looking for the chance to make a smart remark.

If you are not interested in the tread just move on to the next. " Dont be a D*** " :apple:

Well said

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
I have resolved two issues since receiving my iP4, I put it in a case which has resolved signal attenuation. I also restored to factory and started fresh to resolve proximity sensor issues.

I realize these are problematic solutions for many, but they have been effective for me.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
While I am relieved that others are also experiencing this problem, I'm not happy that it's a problem in the first place. I got lucky and have no reception issues, but yesterday got "disconnected" 3 times on one phone call. It was strange since there was no error only the call list, which is usually only there when I have ended a call.

Now I just hold the phone away from my cheek. Patiently waiting for a fix......

You already have the fix. Don't press the phone against your cheeck. It's really not hard to do.

You already have the fix. Don't press the phone against your cheeck. It's really not hard to do.

That's not a fix. I shouldn't have to change the way I have been holding my phone for over a decade, just because the proximity sensor isn't working properly. Sure it could be considered a temp solution, but something definitely needs to be done.

The thing that confuses me is thus far I have been unable to replicate the issue while testing it. The sensor seems to be working perfectly when I am looking for it.

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
I've read several times that a database reset fixes this problem. Can you guys try it and see if it works?

Settings- General- Reset- Reset All Settings

I did this after I restored (always do)and have had no problems at all w/the sensor, and a few others claim to have done this and it fixed the problem. Takes a minute, you'll just have to readjust your email intervals, ringtones, etc. when its done.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
most Iphone users barely use their cell phone to talk, so you won't see them complaining about this issue much. With the reception issue more ppl are complaining about it because it doesn't only happen when you talk. You can be holding your phone to mess around with apps or in the browser and lose your signal. On top of that all the media have been all over it. Though Engadget just wrote an article about the proximity sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.