Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
PhoneArena Visual Comparison Feature

The Note would need a two-handed operation for me. I can live with a 4.3 screen over 4 inch screen because both the height and width of certain phones at 4.3 has a difference of having 5mm in height or width compared to most 4 inch screen phones. That is the difference of a pinky nail. But a height of 146mm and width of 82mm? That is a difference of 20-30mm in either direction.

The perfect size for me is the HTC Sensation XE with 126mm in height and 65mm in width. That is about 6-11mm difference compared to my current phones. When you compare the Galaxy S II (AT&T) with a 4.3 inch screen vs Samsung Focus with a 4 inch screen, there is only a 3mm in height and 1mm in width difference. Some folks have this bad misconception that 4 inches is perfect but 4.3 inches is too big or on "tablet-level" when we are looking at a pinky nail difference. You have to analyze the dimensions or actually feel them in your hand to judge them. But when we start getting into the Fuse or Galaxy Nexus, you do see them get noticeably taller and slightly wider by comparison.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'd be willing to try one, but I think it might even be too big for even me. The fact that it uses a Wacom digitizer for pen and touch inputs it amazing though, I'd expect it's going to be super-accurate.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I remember this scene in Harold & Kumar Guantanamo Bay when Neil Patrick Harris goes into a brothel and demands for the chick with the biggest rack. That is sorta how I felt when I saw the NOTE for the first time. THAT BIG, please? :D

But looking at the phone's size and how I will carry it doesn't seem so practical for me in the longer run after holding the Dell Streak. Considering I will be getting a PS Vita with a 5-inch OLED screen for $250+ next Feb, that device pretty much cancels out the Note. A dedicated gaming handheld isn't as disposable after two years like phones are either.

But the Note still looks like a helluva gadget without having too many faults and for having the largest screen for a phone with a stylus (on capacitive) that could appeal to sketch artists. You can always use a Bluetooth headset to avoid holding it against your ear and it has the microSD slot that the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have. It is offering something "different" at least compared to the other slab phones out there.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I remember this scene in Harold & Kumar Guantanamo Bay when Neil Patrick Harris goes into a brothel and demands for the chick with the biggest rack. That is sorta how I felt when I saw the NOTE for the first time. THAT BIG, please? :D

But looking at the phone's size and how I will carry it doesn't seem so practical for me in the longer run after holding the Dell Streak. Considering I will be getting a PS Vita with a 5-inch OLED screen for $250+ next Feb, that device pretty much cancels out the Note. A dedicated gaming handheld isn't as disposable after two years like phones are either.

But the Note still looks like a helluva gadget without having too many faults and for having the largest screen for a phone with a stylus (on capacitive) that could appeal to sketch artists. You can always use a Bluetooth headset to avoid holding it against your ear and it has the microSD slot that the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have. It is offering something "different" at least compared to the other slab phones out there.

lol! The one with black dress was hot :p

As someone who is also considering a PS Vita, what are your main reasons? I ask because so far the game titles aren't looking very impressive save for uncharted. Are there any good PS3 block buster ports coming up?

Also I would love it if they would make a Devil May Cry and Castlevania: Lords of the Shadow port for it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
There is two ways on how you want to perceive the Galaxy Note.

If based as a giant smartphone, it probably won't appeal to the masses including someone like me as the phone is way too tall and wide to carry around even with a belt holster in either horizontal or vertical position.

If based as a compact tablet that can make phone calls, it can appeal more to people who think carrying around a tablet is too much of a hassle and help eliminate an added accessory.

Depends on the perception and where people are coming from with their gadgets. Knowing there is no real concrete evidence that it will arrive in the USA and only referred as being compatible to AT&T bands, I won't sweat thinking about a phone I might never own. But perceiving it as a compact tablet, I am still torn as it still has some major appeal.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
To all you people saying it's too big... Seriously? You mean YOU think it's too big for YOU.

Personally, I think that if it fits in my pocket, why not? Bigger screen + more content on-screen = awesomeness.

If you don't want two handed operation, okay, I understand that. But there are people like me that would rather have a bigger screen. Obviously most of the Android population agrees with me

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

If based as a giant smartphone, it probably won't appeal to the masses including someone like me as the phone is way too tall and wide to carry around even with a belt holster in either horizontal or vertical position.

If based as a compact tablet that can make phone calls, it can appeal more to people who think carrying around a tablet is too much of a hassle and help eliminate an added accessory.

Depends on the perception and where people are coming from with their gadgets. Knowing there is no real concrete evidence that it will arrive in the USA and only referred as being compatible to AT&T bands, I won't sweat thinking about a phone I might never own. But perceiving it as a compact tablet, I am still torn as it still has some major appeal.

So what do think of my PS Vita post? :p

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It looks pretty cool. And I'm interested in buying one. However my only worry is that it looks quite big so I want to make sure it fits comfortably in my hand.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
All you suckas with your tiny screens! I ported iOS AND Android to my 55" plasma TV. Now I have a dual booting phone with a killer screen. Just waiting for the handtruck to be delivered so I can go mobile.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011

It's actually a phone and a tablet. But Samsung says "Phone?...Tablet?...You decide."

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow, that thing is ... huge. Not exactly pocketable, is it? Maybe it'll come with a shoulder strap, standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.