Forget the Mini, Micro is the way to go! :)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Hexiii, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

2. blanka macrumors 68000

I think the next Mini might actually be like this. With 2 TB ports instead of 1+HDMI. And the connectors are black off course, not white. They ditched white you know (with the huge mistake of still including left-over white cables from 2009 generations).
    Another idea: put that mini in the foot of the display......

3. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Well, I could do a better mockup, but this was really fast... it looks like that.

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

in that form factor it would mean no user changeable memory and flash storage fixed to main board like the MBA.
    If they would make one with 8GB RAM, 256 GB Flash and 2xTB I'm in ...

Nice idea ... (it would be like a Apple TV Maxi)

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

If I cannot add my own 2 drives and upgrade my RAM then I'm out. I'll be buying a 2011 server instead.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yeah 2 t-bolt ports all usb3 ports. 256gb ssd with 8gb ram everything welded in. This would be okay for some of us. Smaller then a 2011 mini but bigger then an apple tv. It would be intergrated 4000 graphics only but I do not think it could be cooled off well.

If you built it with a brick you could get a better fan in it and keep it cool. We are not going to see a brick. I am thinking they are going to change the shape. They are also talking with sharp they may come out with a real tv 39 inch that may change the mini demand. I am looking forward tothe rabbit they pull out of the hat.

7. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I would definitely buy that though would probably wait for Haswell first.

8. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

Personally, I would like the next Mac mini to be a cube. Before you admonish me, consider this: an aluminum cube could house everything the Mac mini has: user replacable RAM and HD, but would have a smaller footprint on a desk.

9. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

And that would also be fine though I would prefer an SSD standard unless the HDD were easily removable as compared to this one.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

So like the 2005-2009's?

11. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

It would need to be taller then a 2009 to be a cube.

12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Sure but my point is that apple moved away from cube like minis to flatter ones. I don't see them going back unless they release a whole new product... Just my opinion.

13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

The only way would be if they merge the mini and the mac pro. I don't think that will happen. The op's mini mini may happen.

14. takezo808 macrumors member

looks a lot like Air Port express.

I believe they can make a relevant device for TV that is beyond the Current Apple TV. It will be hub for home entertainment, automation, security, aid in productivity, and change e-commerce.

It will be running i0S. Using the latest and greatest ARM CPU and PowerVR GPU. Will have at least 2GB of RAM. It will not replace your Mac it will work to gether in synergy like iphone and iPad. the home of the future is now easy with the new iConsole.

15. Sidjames macrumors newbie

never mind micro i wouldnt mind a Mini/pro mix, bigger than bigger than the mini but with more expansion like the pros

16. Candunc macrumors member

I'm not hooked. You wouldn't have an intel processor or a graphics card. Maybe a A5 / A6 in that form factor. I'd like a bigger Mac mini with a good processor and graphics card or a cheaper smaller Pro.

17. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Probably what the next Mac pro (if) will be. A single 8 core Xeon. Along with ios, I mean ML.

18. ZaYoOoD macrumors member

I was thinking about this a couple of months ago, and it seemed very probable.:)

If Apple uses the MBA motherboard, the Ivy bridge graphics, an SSD, and similar other components to the ones in the MacBook Air, taking into account that there's no battery, the Mac Mini can be one quarter the size of the current model. :eek:

I think Apple will make it smaller, sooner or later, I just hope they do it in the next model (they kept us waiting:(!), because I hate buying a product and see it completely redesigned the next year! :mad:

19. animatedude macrumors 65816

amazing! but is this technically possible? would it cost a lot less or more?

20. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I doubt the laws of thermodynamics will allow for this. Maybe if we are willing to use ultra-low powered processors that the Air uses then maybe or if we are willing to switch to using ARM processors (i.e. A4/A5/A5X). There isn't even enough room in that mini for the fan that is currently in the Mac Mini, and we aren't even talking about the processor, hard drive (even an SSD blade), Memory, etc. I personally don't need to have a micro desktop if it means I have to give up power. Even my base Mini is somewhat under powered for what I need it to do, so I wouldn't even want to go to what my MBA has.... And I really don't want to give up expandability (what little we currently have on the Mini) for size in a desktop. I am willing to do so in a laptop for portability, but in a desktop I don't care how much it weighs and the Mini is already small enough that it fits between my monitors on my desk.

21. n0cus macrumors 6502

In the future there could be a breakthrough in technology that allows great performance with little heat, but currently I agree that we would have to go with ARM processes to get that form factor currently.

22. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

What's the point? It doesn't help anyone. It doesn't free up room needed for anything specific. It's just a small compression for fun.

Agreed. If they can compress the Pro down and get rid of some of the expansion, one optical drive at best, and make it still be a Pro with dual processors... that would be brilliant.

Doubt they'll do it, but they will probably compress the form of the next Pro a little.

23. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Indeed. I don't see the point of, or the need for, such a product.

24. Psittacus macrumors newbie

Loved the mockup. :D

Okay... it's a desktop, but would me awesome for many people to carry it in the bag sometimes. I don't need a notebook (iPad get the job well), but would be awesome have a little bit more of mobility with Mini. :)

25. sandyjmacdonald macrumors 6502

Surely they would call it the Mac nano? I could see this happening. Much of the space inside larger small form factor computers is taken up by the hard disk, but with the push towards storing data (music, movies, photos, documents) in the cloud, the need for a large hard disks is diminishing. A 64 GB SSD would be plenty to install the OS and a handful of apps on.

Or, perhaps if they release an all-in-one Apple TV then the current Apple TV will become the Mac nano? I can't see them continuing to sell the current Apple TV if they release an all-in-one version.