Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pre-orders for Apple's new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models opened last Monday immediately after Apple's "Unleashed" event, and soon after, shipping estimates for all configurations began slipping by weeks and in some cases by over a month.

macbook-pro-box-apple.png

If you weren't able to pre-order after Apple's event for whatever reason, there's still a chance to get a 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro when they launch on Tuesday.

In Australia, and in countries in Europe and East Asia that have Apple retail stores, 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros in the stock configurations are already listed as available for in-store pickup (update: in-store pickup is now available in the U.S. and Canada too). In the United Kingdom, for example, Apple's online store shows the following configurations as available to pick up in-store today.
  • 14-inch MacBook Pro
  • Silver/Space Gray
  • 8-Core CPU
  • 14-Core GPU
  • 16GB Unified Memory
  • 512GB SSD Storage
  • 67W USB-C Power Adapter
  • 14-inch MacBook Pro
  • Silver/Space Gray
  • 10-Core CPU
  • 16-Core GPU
  • 16GB Unified Memory
  • 1TB SSD Storage
  • 96W USB-C Power Adapter

• 16-inch MacBook Pro
  • Silver/Space Gray
  • 10-Core CPU
  • 16-Core GPU
  • 16GB Unified Memory
  • 512GB SSD Storage
  • 140W USB-C Power Adapter
  • 16-inch MacBook Pro
  • Silver/Space Gray
  • 10-Core CPU
  • 16-Core
  • 16GB Unified Memory
  • 1TB SSD Storage
  • 140W USB-C Power Adapter

Availability wise, the only off-the-shelf model that doesn't appear to be widely available at U.K. retail stores is the top-spec 16-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Max chip, 32-Core GPU, and 32GB of memory, which costs a combined £3,299 ($3,499). This exception is likely to be replicated in other stores and countries.

macbook-store-checkout-bag.jpg

If you intend to pick up a new MacBook Pro, once you proceed to the checkout and click the blue "Checkout" button, select "I'll pick it up," then choose a store location, pickup date, and an available 15-minute check-in window from the options.

If you will be picking up the ‌MacBook Pro personally, enter your phone number. If someone else will be arranging the pickup, enter his or her contact information. The person making the pickup must be carrying a valid photo ID.

macbook-pro-in-store-pickup.jpg

Then, proceed with the checkout process as usual. Once payment has been made, wait until you receive a pickup notification email or text message before picking up the ‌MacBook Pro. If you don't receive one, call the store. Since the ‌MacBook Pro is paid for ahead of time, the store will hold the device in its back room until you arrive. Your order will be held for 14 days.

Of course, another option is to simply walk into an Apple store on Tuesday, preferably right when they open. In some instances, you may have to wait in line, but the queues have typically been shorter in recent years and shouldn't be anything like as long as iPhone launch days. Note that temperature checks and face masks may be required. You can use the pickup tool on Apple's website to check if stores in your local area have stock, or call the store directly.

Article Link: Forgot to Pre-Order Your MacBook Pro? Apple Store Pickup Is Now An Option

Last edited:

PowerMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Just checked French store: availability to pick up 16" M1 Max as long as you keep it 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD.
As soon as you change to 64 GB RAM or change to bigger SSD, it is not available for pick up

Reactions: frozenstein

Eliott69

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2019
Just checked French store: availability to pick up 16" M1 Max as long as you keep it 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD.
As soon as you change to 64 GB RAM or change to bigger SSD, it is not available for pick up
That's not correct. The 64 GB with 4TB is available in stores as of today (I checked several European countries including France). I'm picking up one tomorrow.

PowerMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
That's not correct. The 64 GB with 4TB is available in stores as of today (I checked several European countries including France). I'm picking up one tomorrow.
I guess it depends which city: I check with Strasbourg, France

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Yep, there are configurations which would usually be BTO available aswell.

Picking up a 14”/Max/64GB/2TB this morning and cancelling my Nov 10-17 delivery.

Just depends which config you want, which colour and which store you’re checking.

Reactions: amartinez1660

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Man I hope these reports about the 4tb 64gb hold up for the east coast of the US it’s currently 4am here been checking every hour on the hour.

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
16 GB unified memory and 512 GB SSD on the 16-inch machine are a bit of a waste, I wonder why they even offer that configuration. Especially given it's non-upgradable.

You don't go buy a Porsche and then be like, "you know what, I think the 75 hp engine is going to be enough for me".

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Is there a real noticeable benefit from 2 more CPU and 2 more GP cores? I wonder if I should cancel my base model (14 inch) order and upgrade since both are available for pick up today. I personally do not care about storage (512 GB VS 1 TB), I currently use 130 GB on my 256 GB MacBook Pro. I got everything in the Cloud.

raytsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
16 GB unified memory and 512 GB SSD on the 16-inch machine are a bit of a waste, I wonder why they even offer that configuration. Even 1 TB SSD is borderline, especially given it's non-upgradable.

You don't go buy a Porsche and then be like, "you know what, I think the 75 hp engine is going to be enough for me".
For me, it is all about the screen size. I would take a 16'' Air with 16GB/1TB, if it would be a thing. But as it is right now, a base line 16'' Pro is enough for me. It really depends on what you do with the device and what the preferences are.

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
For me, it is all about the screen size. I would take a 16'' Air with 16GB/1TB, if it would be a thing. But as it is right now, a base line 16'' Pro is enough for me. It really depends on what you do with the device and what the preferences are.

Fair enough! Come to think of it, I'd also love a larger Air.

Reactions: raytsh

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Is there a real noticeable benefit from 2 more CPU and 2 more GP cores? I wonder if I should cancel my base model (14 inch) order and upgrade since both are available for pick up today. I personally do not care about storage (512 GB VS 1 TB), I currently use 130 GB on my 256 GB MacBook Pro. I got everything in the Cloud.

Depends on what you intend to do with it, but if you're already asking, then it probably won't make much of a difference for you. The 8-core CPU will give 20% slower multi-core performance than the 10-core CPU. That difference is only going to be noticeable if you're pushing the CPU to the limit with demanding tasks. I run audio software and need every last thread I can get.

Reactions: Vazor

nhanle1492

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
I am in New York and I am not sure the website still show that it not available in-store pick up, I wonder usually what time they will update their website with the in-store pickup

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 5.20.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 5.20.53 AM.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 103

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
So, if I am not mistaken, I can start ordering a laptop starting at 5 am Pacific (2 hours from now) and possibly have it ready for in store pick up later today?

Is that correct?

Reactions: MacBird
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.