Former Apple Retail Head Ron Johnson Fired as CEO of JC Penney

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I suppose we could have another front page story of someone's iOS concept instead. :rolleyes:

2. Mr.damien Guest

Which amazing stuff ? Managing store people to the point they strike all over the world, or like they are always sued everywhere for not applying legal text in their shop ?

3. gleepskip macrumors regular

gleepskip

I fully concur with this. I did a double-take when I saw how poorly one of the associates was dressed when I visited a JCP store over the weekend. She was wearing blue jeans and a very dated blouse.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You'll find that all happened after his departure.

5. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Or the latest Thunderbroke speed upgrade nobody will be able to afford. :D
    Thank goodness for today's Mac Pro rumor. :)

6. ijohn.8.80, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Seriously? There are these people called stylists that dictate what the model will wear for the shoot, which is in turn based upon what stock JCP's want to sell, which is dictated by purchasing.

If JCP's is a cheap shop, they are probably not even undershirts, it might just be a patch of material sewn in place to look like an undershirt. Believe it or not, these tops actually get sold with the fake undershirt in place.

7. paul4339 macrumors 65816

You are exaggerating. When did people strike "all over the world"?

Do you mean the incident in France where they when on strike on the iPhone 5 launch to get maximum leverage on their employer over "installation of water fountains, providing meal vouchers and paying a thirteenth month of salary?"

Striking in France, how unusual?

When you are big profitable company, people will sue you. It happens everyday. We just hear about the Apple suits more often...And when you are really big, groups will pick on you to make an example.

BTW, the thing in France happened under Browett ...

8. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Are you serious? Surely you see a difference between selling high end computing products and cloths? You have to give him credit though... he took a risk and tried a totally different approach to revive JCP. He went outside the retail clothing model and it just didn't work. You take risks, then sometimes they aren't going to work out. Had it worked, he'd be the hero of the decade. But it didn't.

In the end, what caused the failure, among other things, was the #%#*%!@ customers of JCP that would rather them jack the prices way up and have huge sales, vs. just selling the stuff consistently at the lower prices. I'm going to go out on a limb of being called sexist here, but seriously... only the lady customers are going to go for this model of doorbuster sales over just cutting to the right price. ;)

9. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Too bad. He was tackling a huge challenge for trying a new approach.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

White tee as an undershirt under a polo has been used for some time now, it's not a fashion faux pas nor is it "unstylish".

11. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I do. Don't be so judgmental and assume you have the only view on people's choices for what to wear. :cool:

12. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Still doesn't disprove my "stay away from JCP" point I'm trying to make.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

What if its deeper than that. Jon left cause he wanted to be a CEO.

What if Tim doesnt like his CEO role and wants to stick as the logistics man.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't follow how this shows how Apple sells itself.
    That hardly sounded like a prediction.

I think they should have given him a bit more time at JCP, but patience doesn't seem like a virtue here.

15. unibility macrumors 6502a

another fine example why the down vote should NOT have been taken away. :D

16. linuxophile macrumors regular

So, having been an Apple executive guarantees that MacRumors will forever follow your career, even two jobs down the road....
    On the front page.
    Forever.

Must be a slow day.

17. you people smh macrumors regular

Man customer here. Used to buy most of my clothes from Penney's

Call me crazy if you like, but i was way more apt to buy 5 or 6 pairs of panst/shorts or 5 or 6 shirts when they were on "doorbuster sale" at $6-10 bucks for shirts and $15-20 for pants rather than a "cut the right price every day" model of $24 bucks for shirts and $47 bucks for pants.

Sounds crazy, i know, but the profit margin of my clothes store is of no concern to me.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Looks normal to me. A little place, but about what any professional might wear on their day off.

19. extradryny macrumors member

The whole idea of "know your customer" has become such a cliche, and yet Ron Johnson's downfall is as simple as him not bothering to do so.

20. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Um....worked out alright with that Jobs fellow

21. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Running one part of a company is WAY different than running a whole company.

Also the market and shopping experience you expect from Apple is way different than the mouth breathers who go to JCP expect.

22. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Arrogant much? :rolleyes:

23. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

ohhhh, I dunno....turned it into the most profitable retailer per sf in the world, maybe?

24. MacCurry macrumors 6502

You mean thermo-nuclear. The term thermo comes from thermodynamic principles used in a fusion reaction of hydrogen or other elements to produce a yield of millions of tonnes equivalent TNT.

25. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Not being funny, but how much of Ron's success at Apple was his own genius, and how much of it was simply implementing Steve's vision?

A lot of things seem to have slipped since Jobs passed. Someone coming back to "new" Apple may achieve very different results, than they did under a leader like Steve Jobs with his ferocious attention to detail.