Former Apple Retail Head Ron Johnson Fired as CEO of JC Penney

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Bingo !!!

2. paul4339 macrumors 65816

it's too bad Ron was asked to leave by the JCP board. ... but you gotta hand it to Steve for being ballsy enough to say to the Apple board, "This isn't working out ... I need all of you to resign".

:eek:

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

but look how much speedier the lack of down voting made Safari :D.

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Apple would be foolish not to hire him back. Let's hope they do! :cool:

5. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Not at all.

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Exactly, the actually apple store experience of buying something is usually pretty horrific actually. I hate how disorganized it is. They are successful because of they are a status symbol and a 'cool' place to hang out in.

7. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

Apple should be feeling pretty foolish for pushing him out & hiring a toe-cutter. Now's the time for Tim Cook to make an apology to Apple customers and hire the guy back - Mansfield-style.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What's the problem with that? You either think the person is the best candidate for the position (that you can get), or you don't. If you think he or she is, you hire them. If not, you hire someone who is better. After his successor, they might be glad to have him back. And he'll be highly motivated to prove that he can do better than he did at JC Penney, and that he can do better than his successor at Apple did.

9. RoccoFan macrumors regular

Stop!!!

Most people with large bank balances don't get that way buying over priced clothing. I'm not saying Macy's is over priced, but just because someone chooses to shop at JCP doesn't mean they're poor in the nasty, self important way you mean it.

BTW, there is a Nordstrom shopper reading your post and laughing at your broke as_s.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

This...

I couldn't figure out why he jumped ship after being such a huge success.

It's like jumping from a well designed battleship to the Titanic... :eek:

11. breising macrumors newbie

Welcome Back.

I would think JCP was a great educational experience. If Apple and he can get together so be it. He may wish to do something else entirely and guess what? It's up to them not you. I don't have a problem with it.

12. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

By that logic, Apple should never have rehired Steve Jobs after he resigned from Apple in 1985.

13. cire macrumors 6502

How much do you spend a year on clothes? I spend $2,000 or so and spent half this year at JCP. Doesn't seem extreme to me.

----------

Idiot? Do you buy new clothes or do you just go to the Goodwill? What's idiotic about buying clothes?

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Any idiot could see this coming.

Apple sells high end products at a premium. Most buyers even KNOW they are paying extra. But, they now it and accept it.

JC Penny sells to the masses. People that expect sales. He tried to change normal buying decisions. I can not believe the Sr Mgmt listened to him.

This is not rocket science folks.

Duh.
    Duh.
    Duh 1,000 times!

15. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

And the reworking of JCP stores is the only reason I stepped foot in a JCP in 10+ years and would consider going back.

JCP need to go younger. Their current market is OLD PEOPLE who are dying off.
    RJ tried to transform JCP for the long term and stock holders are stuck in the short term.
    JCP will go back to being JCP, catering to OLD PEOPLE and be out of business within a decade.

16. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

lmao! :D

17. carmenodie macrumors 6502a

Apple wouldn't bring him back. Ain't happening.
    He went to JCP to turn sh** into gold and it backfired.

18. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

...just wow. Let me guess you have all the latest i toys right? And you think you're "cool" because they have the :apple: on them? :rolleyes:

19. shady28 macrumors member

You got it.

There is one thing I will give RJ, and one thing only. He is a great merchandiser, he knows how to present a product.

That does not mean he knows how to select a product. It also does not mean he knows how to run a multi-billion dollar company. Lastly, it does not mean he is a great leader in any way, shape, or form.

I work at JCP, home office (now). There was little that was unique about RJ's plans, except that he refused to market test them. Many of his 'ideas' had been tested before (for example : ipod check-out), and we had found that the customer did not like those things.

RJ did them anyway. People who pointed out that they should be tested - in 1 store, in 50 stores, even 100 stores - were told they weren't on board and let go.

The internal damage to JCP is severe. He cut somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000 jobs - mostly in the last 13 months. I will admit the initial cuts were truly cutting 'fat', but it's long long since become more than that.

And, all this talk about 'JCP was already on the ropes'. That's FUD that was spread by Johnson and his lacky Hedge fund backer Ackman.

Under the prior CEO (Ullman - who is returning) JCP had its *most profitable year ever* with 1 billion in profit, in 2010. Throughout the financial crisis of 2007-2009, the company was *profitable every single year*. We gave out a dividend *every single quarter*. That does not describe a company that was on the ropes.

Consider, where did all that cash come from that RJ squandered last year, all that real estate value, the ability to absorb $1billion in losses under Johnson and $4 billion in lost sales? It came from the success of prior years.

20. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Ever heard of Steve Jobs?

21. shady28 macrumors member

There is no 'Sr Management' to a CEO.

He is only accountable to the Board of Directors and shareholders.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

JCP was a wreck before Johnson. That's why they brought him in in the first place. True, he made it worse, but the BOD knew they were not hiring him to issue more coupons, plan more sales and double up on gabardine ankle dresses.

Johnson's challenge was to modernize JCP to attract younger customers w/o alienating the core customers. Hard, hard, road to hoe. Clearly it could not be done because the JCP brand was too damaged way, way before Johnson arrived.

23. Felix01 macrumors regular

+3

You nailed it!

Taking Johnson back is not worth the risk, aggravation, nor morale hit.

24. shady28 macrumors member

Under the prior CEO (Ullman - who is returning) JCP had its *most profitable year ever* with 1 billion in profit, in 2010. Throughout the financial crisis of 2007-2009, the company was *profitable every single year*. We gave out a dividend *every single quarter*. That does not describe a company that was on the ropes.

25. vj401 macrumors newbie

lol nice!